News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Explosions at Boston Marathon

Started by Darth Wagtaros, April 15, 2013, 02:16:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

I love this place though. Bombings have gravitated to AM/PM hot dogs and pressure cookers. :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on April 16, 2013, 03:35:48 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 16, 2013, 03:33:41 PM
About the only time mom used a pressure cooker was when she was canning green beans.  It was a phase she went through for 2 or 3 years.  She used to force us to string the beans for her beforehand, promising us that it would be fun because she enjoyed it when she was young :mellow:

That's what they always say.

Yeah.  Like when she was shopping for an ice cream maker and decided to go with the hand-crank one rather than the electric one because even though the price was the same, it was "so much fun" wearing the hell out of your arm as the ice cream thickened :mellow:

But she grew up on a farm, where things were boring as hell.  So I suppose I should cut her some slack.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on April 16, 2013, 03:39:51 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on April 16, 2013, 03:35:48 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 16, 2013, 03:33:41 PM
About the only time mom used a pressure cooker was when she was canning green beans.  It was a phase she went through for 2 or 3 years.  She used to force us to string the beans for her beforehand, promising us that it would be fun because she enjoyed it when she was young :mellow:

That's what they always say.

Yeah.  Like when she was shopping for an ice cream maker and decided to go with the hand-crank one rather than the electric one because even though the price was the same, it was "so much fun" wearing the hell out of your arm as the ice cream thickened :mellow:

But she grew up on a farm, where things were boring as hell.  So I suppose I should cut her some slack.

She had y'all buffaloed.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

Seriously, though, pressure cookers are easy to use AND you can cook stuff ridiculously fast in them.  I make a mean hoppin john in my pressure cooker.... once the peas and ham are up to pressure, I cook them 10 minutes and they're done... after only 10 the peas are very soft and the hock is falling off the bone.  Shit would take forever with a conventional pot of boiling water.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

dps

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2013, 03:46:03 PM
Seriously, though, pressure cookers are easy to use AND you can cook stuff ridiculously fast in them.  I make a mean hoppin john in my pressure cooker.... once the peas and ham are up to pressure, I cook them 10 minutes and they're done... after only 10 the peas are very soft and the hock is falling off the bone.  Shit would take forever with a conventional pot of boiling water.

I remember once when I was real little my mom and grandmother explaining that sometimes they used a pressure cooker because things got done quicker that way, and I asked why they just didn't start earlier and then they would have never had to buy a pressure cooker.

katmai

I liked the hand cranked ice cream machine.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

DGuller

Quote from: dps on April 16, 2013, 04:26:37 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2013, 03:46:03 PM

I remember once when I was real little my mom and grandmother explaining that sometimes they used a pressure cooker because things got done quicker that way, and I asked why they just didn't start earlier and then they would have never had to buy a pressure cooker.
:hmm: That sounds like the kind of question a grandmother would ask.

Caliga

It's a very valid question to ask a housewife, yes.  But it's kind of obvious why someone like me might not be able to start dinner 3 hours in advance. :sleep:

On top of that, when stuff cooks under pressure you can turn the heat down to low and it'll still get done.  So there are massive energy savings to using one if that's something you are mindful of.

Malthus

Quote from: 11B4V on April 16, 2013, 03:37:13 PM
I love this place though. Bombings have gravitated to AM/PM hot dogs and pressure cookers. :lol:

We like to take on the really important issues of the day.  ;)

Anyway, I'm sure Caliga's eating habits, as they reflect American ones generally, have killed more Americans than terrorism.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

My eating habits aren't in reality as bad as you people think.  Here's what I had to eat today:

breakfast:
espresso (straight)
a banana

lunch:
fried chicken (one breast :perv: and one leg)
taters
slaw
a biscuit

The End.

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2013, 04:39:28 PM
My eating habits aren't in reality as bad as you people think.  Here's what I had to eat today:

breakfast:
espresso (straight)
a banana

lunch:
fried chicken (one breast :perv: and one leg)
taters
slaw
a biscuit

The End.

Only someone who works in HR could lie like that.  :hmm:

[/Ducks, runs for cover  ;) ]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

It seems striking that no-one's claimed responsibility yet.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 16, 2013, 05:24:49 PM
It seems striking that no-one's claimed responsibility yet.

Nobody wants a Hellfire enema.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

Quote from: Caliga on April 16, 2013, 04:33:10 PM
It's a very valid question to ask a housewife, yes.  But it's kind of obvious why someone like me might not be able to start dinner 3 hours in advance. :sleep:

On top of that, when stuff cooks under pressure you can turn the heat down to low and it'll still get done.  So there are massive energy savings to using one if that's something you are mindful of.

It was the 60s--wasting energy was almost considered a virtue back then.

CountDeMoney

CBS News tonight had great before-and-after still photos of what looked like the second bomb. 
Looking for them online at the moment, but it's sitting right there in the open on the fucking curb next to a mailbox, outside the cordon along the race path.

edit: Here ya go.

http://www1.whdh.com/video/player/?clipId=8780425&clipFormat=flv&topVideoCatNo=#?autoStart#?autoStart