Republicans approve resolution reaffirming opposition to gay marriage

Started by garbon, April 13, 2013, 11:40:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on April 14, 2013, 08:11:48 AM
Look, gays are bad, OK.  You people are on the same forum as Martinus.  HOW CAN YOU NOT GET THIS?  WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?

He's not even gay.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 14, 2013, 10:52:55 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 14, 2013, 05:32:06 AM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 14, 2013, 05:28:41 AM
11B has a point. Roe v Wade was forty years ago, but people still won't shut the hell up about abortion. These things take time to flush through the back end of society.

Apples and oranges.

Abortion will always be a moral issue - because no matter how you slice it, it's a legitimate ethical question that has no single "right" answer. Gay marriage, on the other hand, is like segregation, mixed marriage or universal suffrage - it's one of those issues that once it gets done, people forget about it and move on.

Yes, in forty years from now, there will be a group of people that do not like gays, just like there is a group of people who do not like blacks, or disrespect women - but in 10 years from now no reasonable politician would suggest reversing gay marriage - but 100 years from now people will still argue in favor of banning abortion.

Until we can permanently fix homosexuality, of course.

Oh, I imagine that'll happen eventually.  If homosexuality is truly something you are born with, then doctors will be able to detect it in the womb, and if they allow parents to choose sexual orientation of their unborn offspring homosexuality will like disappear or be dramatically be reduced in a generation.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2013, 03:26:40 PM
They are sticking to their guns because they have to, they have a powerful social conservative political faction to answer for.  There is nothing admirable about it, they will dump the social conservatives if it becomes advantageous and practicable to do so....which it will as they become more marginalized.

I don't think it will happen like that, I think the younger generation of social conservatives will be more resigned or even accepting of gay rights.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 14, 2013, 04:44:54 PM
Quote from: Valmy on April 14, 2013, 03:26:40 PM
They are sticking to their guns because they have to, they have a powerful social conservative political faction to answer for.  There is nothing admirable about it, they will dump the social conservatives if it becomes advantageous and practicable to do so....which it will as they become more marginalized.

I don't think it will happen like that, I think the younger generation of social conservatives will be more resigned or even accepting of gay rights.

I think that is a flavor of that.  The older social conservatives will be marginalized in their own movement.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I think they'll just find less overt ways to express their hate.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on April 14, 2013, 04:41:25 PM

If homosexuality is truly something you are born with, then doctors will be able to detect it in the womb, and if they allow parents to choose sexual orientation of their unborn offspring homosexuality will like disappear or be dramatically be reduced in a generation.

Has that been proved?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".