California lawmakers aim to ease abortion rules

Started by garbon, April 13, 2013, 11:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/california-lawmakers-aim-ease-abortion-rules-states-tighten-110509641.html

QuoteA proposal to allow nurses and midwives to perform some abortions is advancing in California's Democratic legislature, a move supporters hope will influence the national debate on abortion even as other states are tightening the rules.

If the measure is enacted, the nation's most populous state would allow nurse-practitioners, nurse-midwives and physician assistants to perform a procedure known as aspiration, which uses suction to dislodge an embryo from the uterine wall during the first few weeks of pregnancy.

Four other states - Oregon, Montana, Vermont and New Hampshire - allow non-physicians to perform these early abortions, but California would be the first to codify the practice in law.

The move comes as a handful of states, primarily in the country's south and midsection, have passed or enacted laws restricting abortion in recent weeks. Some of the measures appeared designed to stand as challenges to Roe v. Wade, the 1973 U.S. Supreme Court decision that made abortion legal.

"What happens in California has a pretty significant impact across the country," said Democratic state Assemblywoman Toni Atkins of San Diego, author of the abortion bill. "We have that on business issues, on other issues and we think it's true on reproductive rights as well."

More broadly, the abortion bill is just one of dozens of left-leaning proposals gushing forth from newly emboldened California Democrats, who in 2012 won supermajority control of both houses of the state legislature.

[See link for rest of article]
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Will they push for 58th trimester abortions like Texas loves?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

If they can demonstrate that it's safe, then more power to them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.