News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Good newish music? Need suggestions

Started by Pedrito, May 22, 2009, 04:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pimpicus

Quote from: Korea on May 27, 2009, 08:43:49 AM
I'm basing this opinion all the times I've heard pimpicus play music. It has mostly sucked.

Really? IIRC I turned both you and Ide on to new music.

Where does everyone here find their new music? Blogs? Friends? Last.fm?

Pedrito

Quote from: pimpicus on May 27, 2009, 11:53:11 PM

Languish  :P

Seriously, from friends and websites.
I discovered several good to very good bands while using WinMX: when I downloaded something from some guy, In usually browsed his other shared files, and if i found his amd my tastes almost overlapping, I downloaded everything I didn't know from him; this way I found a lot of new, good artists.

Of those suggested in the thread and listened till now:
Camera obscura, glasvegas:  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Asobi Seksu, Foals: :thumbsup: need more time
Silversun Pickups:  :thumbsdown: They seem a bit too emo for my tastes

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

katmai

Quote from: Pedrito on June 01, 2009, 03:29:53 AM
Quote from: pimpicus on May 27, 2009, 11:53:11 PM

Languish  :P

Seriously, from friends and websites.
I discovered several good to very good bands while using WinMX: when I downloaded something from some guy, In usually browsed his other shared files, and if i found his amd my tastes almost overlapping, I downloaded everything I didn't know from him; this way I found a lot of new, good artists.

Of those suggested in the thread and listened till now:
Camera obscura, glasvegas:  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Asobi Seksu, Foals: :thumbsup: need more time
Silversun Pickups:  :thumbsdown: They seem a bit too emo for my tastes

L.

:whistle:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Liep

I recently heard Friendly Fire's self titled album, and it's good. Very good.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Pedrito

Quote from: Liep on June 01, 2009, 04:30:25 AM
I recently heard Friendly Fire's self titled album, and it's good. Very good.

Duly noted.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Eddie Teach

Not exactly a new band, but one I recently discovered: Apocalypta. Hard rock cello goodness.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Lndhand

I have been digging Ray Lamontagne lately.  His newest record is Gossip in the Grain.  His first one is Trouble.  Both are great.  I just saw him in concert -- good stuff.  I am picking up his 3rd (the middle one) record next.
The biggest thing I blame Bush for is Obama.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Queequeg

GOGOL BORDELLO LIVE IS THE BEST THING SINCE BYZANTINE BREAD!
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Pedrito

Quote from: Queequeg on June 01, 2009, 11:26:59 PM
GOGOL BORDELLO LIVE IS THE BEST THING SINCE BYZANTINE BREAD!

:lol: no doubt about Gogol Bordello, several doubts about byzantine bread

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Liep

Frightened Rabbit - The Midnight Organ Fight is my new favourite album. Ra Ra Riot - The Rhumb Line is also brilliant (Ghost Under Rock in particular), as is Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest.

Passion Pit and Mew's new albums also get a thumbs up.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Pedrito

Reporting on the TV on the Radio plus Animal Collective show I attended in mid-july:

Animal Collective: I heard something from their albums and was curious, if not eager, to listen to them live, but they were a big letdown: one echoed guitar and two samplers don't make people able to play music, in my opinion. Long, tedious noise sessions (7-9 minutes each one of them) and very little substance. It was like I was listening to Ross playing keyboards in the Central Perk. And their session lasted longer than TVOTR!  :mad:

Tv On The Radio: excellent set, very good musicians and scenic presence, the only letdown is they played less than one and a half hour. They played almost all the last album, and went back for only a couple of songs; high points: DLZ, Dancing Choose, Wolf Like Me, Staring at the Sun.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Liep

Animal Collective might just be a tad too "experimental" for me.

I haven't recommended much Danish music in this thread, but I gotta mention The Rumour Said Fire. Their EP is great, even if the label IndieFolkPop sounds scary. Check out the song Balcony. :w00t:

Josephus

Porcupine Tree's new album, The Incident, is super.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Queequeg

Quote from: Pedrito on August 24, 2009, 02:54:58 AM
Reporting on the TV on the Radio plus Animal Collective show I attended in mid-july:

Animal Collective: I heard something from their albums and was curious, if not eager, to listen to them live, but they were a big letdown: one echoed guitar and two samplers don't make people able to play music, in my opinion. Long, tedious noise sessions (7-9 minutes each one of them) and very little substance. It was like I was listening to Ross playing keyboards in the Central Perk. And their session lasted longer than TVOTR!  :mad:

Tv On The Radio: excellent set, very good musicians and scenic presence, the only letdown is they played less than one and a half hour. They played almost all the last album, and went back for only a couple of songs; high points: DLZ, Dancing Choose, Wolf Like Me, Staring at the Sun.

L.

Totally agree on both counts.  I've seen TVotR live every time they've played in Chicago since before Return to Cookie Mountain came out.  I am a huge fan. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."