Most unfortunate advertising placement

Started by viper37, April 04, 2013, 03:43:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2013, 01:11:37 PM
So DG & grabon, what do you think this says about dps?
For one, it says that he's very willing to buy into the most cartoonish and completely groundless stereotypes of the people he disagrees with politically.  Basically, that he's a Fox News drooling vegetable.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: fahdiz on April 05, 2013, 01:29:30 PM
That's always how I've heard it defined as well. This new definition seems like something a really conservative person came up with.

What new definition?

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on April 05, 2013, 01:30:16 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 05, 2013, 01:23:30 PM

Nothing that I didn't already know. :)

Go on.

No thanks. It's Friday and relatively warm in New York, so I'm in a good mood.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on April 05, 2013, 01:34:47 PM
For one, it says that he's very willing to buy into the most cartoonish and completely groundless stereotypes of the people he disagrees with politically.  Basically, that he's a Fox News drooling vegetable.

:lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on April 05, 2013, 01:34:47 PM

Eh, no.  That means he's a Languishite.  It's common practice here, and practically encouraged.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

I think you missed the intentional irony.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2013, 12:03:29 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 05, 2013, 11:43:18 AM
I don't think that's something that's true of a stereotypical limousine liberal, at least not anymore. There's depictions of that type on tv all the time, and there's always black people moving around in their circles. The stuffy exurban rich lily-white stereotype is more likely to be connected with conservatism.

The knock on limousine liberals was/is that they espoused liberal values without having any skin in the game.  I.e. soft on crime but live in the suburbs, in favor of school busing but send their kids to private school.  Not that they didn't know any blacks and certainly not that they were bigots.

I wasn't suggesting that they were bigots, just completely out-of-touch.  Someone who's an actual bigot wouldn't likely be paying for an ad that says "Everyone deserves to be treated equally".  They probably think having a live-in maid is "normal" too.

And I did say that it was a stereotype, not an accurate description of any large number of people.  OTOH, there must be (or used to be) at least a few people who conform to the stereotype, or otherwise how did it become a stereotype in the first place?  Or how the hell else do you explain that ad, anyway (assuming that Viper is right)?

Admiral Yi

You mean like a well-intentioned white person who says "my colored friends?"

Not sure what riding in a limousine has to do with that.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2013, 03:13:49 PM
You mean like a well-intentioned white person who says "my colored friends?"

Not sure what riding in a limousine has to do with that.

Maybe my understanding of the stereotype is different from yours, possibly due to changes in the stereotype between my youth and yours?  You are about 20 years younger than me IIRC.

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 05, 2013, 02:15:10 PM
I think you missed the intentional irony.

Perhaps.  With his periodic fits of slavic rage it's hard to tell.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on April 05, 2013, 03:23:15 PM
Maybe my understanding of the stereotype is different from yours, possibly due to changes in the stereotype between my youth and yours?  You are about 20 years younger than me IIRC.

Can't be, unless you fought with grumbler at Megiddo.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2013, 01:35:23 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on April 05, 2013, 01:29:30 PM
That's always how I've heard it defined as well. This new definition seems like something a really conservative person came up with.

What new definition?

An evil person who happens to have a limousine.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 05, 2013, 03:29:08 PM
Quote from: dps on April 05, 2013, 03:23:15 PM

Can't be, unless you fought with grumbler at Megiddo.

I thought you were about 30.

Admiral Yi