And we're back!

Main Menu

Roger Ebert RIP

Started by Queequeg, April 04, 2013, 02:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

I always checked his reviews, first. :(

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Scipio

He was rarely long, except when he allowed those dry-ass humorless cunts at Salon to publish his essay.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Queequeg

I think Chicago is mourning tonight in a way it hasn't done for anyone in a long time.   :(
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ideologue

A great loss.  It's a bad day.  Ebert himself said he had no fear of death, only of the pain on the way; I hope his journey was as uneventful as possible, under the circumstances.  I hope his wife's okay too.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Habbaku

Didn't always agree with his reviews, but I always made sure to read them on movies I was really interested in.

RIP.   :(
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

PRC

Loved his writing, both his reviews and blogs were always entertaining. 

RIP. :(

Drakken

My jaw just dropped at the news. :(

DGuller

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on April 04, 2013, 10:23:30 PM
Quote from: Drakken on April 04, 2013, 09:23:00 PM
Fucking prick.

Yeah you are. It's clear it was an honest mistake on his part.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Drakken

Quote from: garbon on April 04, 2013, 10:31:24 PM
Quote from: Queequeg on April 04, 2013, 10:23:30 PM
Quote from: Drakken on April 04, 2013, 09:23:00 PM
Fucking prick.

Yeah you are. It's clear it was an honest mistake on his part.

It wasn't. I assume my low-brow joke. Too soon, I see now.

That said, I was indeed genuinely surprised - and saddened - learning his death.