Disney shuts down LucasArts, cancels all projects

Started by Syt, April 03, 2013, 01:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: Valmy on April 03, 2013, 01:24:08 PM
Disney's evil truly knows no bounds.  First they ruined the Muppets, now this.

You didn't like the new Muppet movie?
and the horse you rode in on

Ed Anger

EA got the contract for Star Wars games from Disney. HAHA!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Cool, each one will be released half-finished yet have a dozen DLCs available for it now. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 06, 2013, 03:55:41 PM
EA got the contract for Star Wars games from Disney. HAHA!

Lovely.  Frying pan, meet fire.

garbon

Oh good, so we'll get some additional games that "require the internet in order to perform game calculations"?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

To be fair, EA and Lucasarts have a lot in common:  They're both once-great companies whose best days are behind them.

That said, people liked KOTOR, so maybe it'll work out.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on May 06, 2013, 08:03:06 PM
That said, people liked KOTOR, so maybe it'll work out.

Meh, it was sorta like Ide's dating life:  awesome in the beginning, full of promise and hope, then...meh.

Syt

Still waiting for the X-Wing and TIE-Fighter games to pop up on GOG.com.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on May 06, 2013, 10:51:52 PM
Still waiting for the X-Wing and TIE-Fighter games to pop up on GOG.com.

With Disney and EA in charge of Star Wars now?  Don't hold your breath. <_<
Experience bij!

Syt

Well, EA has a lot of back titles on there. Last weekend they actually had an EA sale.

It's one more way to squeeze some money out of 20+ year old software, so right up their alley. :P

That said, I think the Lucasarts games rights stay with Disney, right?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Syt on May 06, 2013, 11:12:34 PM
Well, EA has a lot of back titles on there. Last weekend they actually had an EA sale.

It's one more way to squeeze some money out of 20+ year old software, so right up their alley. :P

That said, I think the Lucasarts games rights stay with Disney, right?

I believe so; the way the deal's been described, EA gets to develop all AAA titles, while Disney's reserving the right to put out quick mobile/social games in-house.  It's a good thing Lego Star Wars has been wrapped up for a little while, because this deal would have put the kibosh on Traveler's Tales making Lego Star Wars III.

I'm a little disappointed with the developers working on it.  DICE pretty much means Battlefront 3, and it also means very few new features.  BioWare... I'm sorry, I just haven't had faith in BioWare's ability to make a SW game since KOTOR 1.  Visceral could be a wild card, but it could also just be more The Force Unleashed nonsense.
Experience bij!

AnchorClanker

Also, Disney is LAME with dividends.  $.75/year?  Seriously?  [/rant]
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

AnchorClanker

I am well, beyond bitching about Disney stocks.   :bowler:
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr