News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Museum of Bad Art (MOBA)

Started by Savonarola, May 22, 2009, 08:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on May 23, 2009, 07:36:03 AM
Mondrain doesn't qualify.  Something has to be "art" before it can be "bad art." :mellow:

:(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2009, 04:18:53 PM
I'm glad you didn't say Mondrain. <_<
Mondrain doesn't qualify.  Something has to be "art" before it can be "bad art." :mellow:

[grumbler]I don't know who this "Mondrain" you guys are talking about, but Piet Mondrian is a modern artist who likes to draw lines and boxes. [/grumbler]
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Queequeg

Quote from: Habsburg on May 22, 2009, 04:09:39 PM
They must have large collections of Warhol, Dali, and Lichtenstein!
One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong....

At the very least Dali had technical skill up the wazoo. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Lichtenstein was actually fascinating though.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Queequeg

Quote from: garbon on May 23, 2009, 04:02:31 PM
Lichtenstein was actually fascinating though.
So is infanticide.  Your point?  I think it is hard to argue that he was an especially creative or talented artist. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Savonarola

Quote from: Queequeg on May 23, 2009, 04:01:47 PM
Quote from: Habsburg on May 22, 2009, 04:09:39 PM
They must have large collections of Warhol, Dali, and Lichtenstein!
One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong....

At the very least Dali had technical skill up the wazoo.

Towards the end (well, middle) of his career Dali cranked out a number of uninspired and mediocre works.  That might be what Habs means.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on May 23, 2009, 04:48:02 PM
So is infanticide.  Your point?  I think it is hard to argue that he was an especially creative or talented artist. 

Lichtenstein > Dali

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 23, 2009, 01:09:08 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 22, 2009, 04:18:53 PM
I'm glad you didn't say Mondrain. <_<

[grumbler]I don't know who this "Mondrain" you guys are talking about, but Piet Mondrian is a modern artist fraud who likes to draw lines and boxes. [/grumbler]
FYPFY
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Eddie Teach

Habsburg

Quote from: garbon on May 23, 2009, 07:48:36 PM

Lichtenstein > Dali

Sandra Bullock > Jessica Biel

There very similar.  :D

Queequeg

Quote from: Queequeg on May 23, 2009, 04:48:02 PM

Lichtenstein > Dali
:bleeding:

Dali had at the very least *technical skill* that Lichtenstein could never even imagine.  That's just fucking tasteless. 

Queequeg

Quote from: Habsburg on May 23, 2009, 09:08:26 PM

Lichtenstein > Dali

:huh:

How?  Unless you are talking late-mid period Dali exclusively I see no grounds at all for comparison.  I'm not a big fan of Dali (prefer earlier Surrealists), but I think even the must casual observer has to admit that the guy had rare talent.  The guy could really fucking paint.  Liechtenstein couldn't even copy worth a crap. 

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Habsburg on May 23, 2009, 09:08:26 PM

You really are gay, aren't you.