Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on June 12, 2018, 08:26:18 PM
Quote from: Tamas on June 12, 2018, 09:12:31 AM
Well to be fair here he is honest and tries to be funny. If we had more of this instead of the bullshit sleazy salesman shit, we'd be ahead
That's not a joke.  That's normalizing deviancy by pretending to be self-deprecating about it.  After all, how can you be mad at Trump for brazenly lying all the time about anything and everything, when he's mocking himself for it?  Meanwhile, he will keep brazenly lying all the time about anything and everything.

True, it isn't really a joke if it is what he plans to do.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

I don't know, sometimes the truth can be funny.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/13/donald-trump-kim-jong-un-fox-news-human-rights

QuoteDonald Trump shrugs off Kim's human rights record: 'He's a tough guy'

Donald Trump has dismissed concerns about the widely condemned human rights record of the North Korean dictator, Kim Jong-un, praising him as a "tough guy", a "smart guy" and a "great negotiator".

In an interview with Bret Baier of Fox News as he was leaving Singapore following the denuclearization summit with the North Korean leader, Trump declined to condemn the record of his interlocutor. International bodies have accused Kim of crimes against humanity including assassinations of political rivals, public executions and holding captive tens of thousands of political prisoners.

Speaking in a wood-paneled office aboard Air Force One, Baier put it to the US president that Kim was "a killer. He's executing people."

Trump replied by praising Kim as a "tough guy. Hey, when you take over a country, tough country, with tough people, and you take it over from your father, I don't care who you are, what you are, how much of an advantage you have – if you can do that at 27 years old, that's one in 10,000 could do that."

Trump went on: "So he's a very smart guy, he's a great negotiator and I think we understand each other."

Baier, sounding taken aback by the president's flippant response, pressed Trump on the issue: "But he's still done some really bad things."

To which Trump said: "Yeah, but so have a lot of other people done some really bad things. I could go through a lot of nations where a lot of bad things were done."

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

:pinch:

Just say "That's all true, and worthy of condemnation, but we still have to work with him."
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on June 14, 2018, 08:41:14 AM
:pinch:

Just say "That's all true, and worthy of condemnation, but we still have to work with him."

Yeah, indeed.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on June 14, 2018, 07:30:11 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/13/donald-trump-kim-jong-un-fox-news-human-rights

QuoteDonald Trump has dismissed concerns about the widely condemned human rights record of the North Korean dictator, Kim Jong-un, praising him as a . . . "great negotiator".

"Great"? I don't know.  But clearly better than some.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

frunk

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 14, 2018, 10:01:08 AM

Greatness in this case is measured by the number of compliments Trump gets during negotiations.

Tamas

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 14, 2018, 10:01:08 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 14, 2018, 07:30:11 AM

QuoteDonald Trump has dismissed concerns about the widely condemned human rights record of the North Korean dictator, Kim Jong-un, praising him as a . . . "great negotiator".

:face:

His apparent mancrush on the psycho Korean kid is made even worse in the contrast of his G7 meltdown.

I wonder, when the smoke settles after his 2nd term, will the Western Alliance be recoverable, or Europe will be a Russian satellite for good?

derspiess

He's definitely gone too far with them, but you guys take diplomatic platitudes too seriously when a Republican is in the Oval Office.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on June 14, 2018, 11:26:26 AM
He's definitely gone too far with them, but you guys take diplomatic platitudes too seriously when a Republican is in the Oval Office.

Because Republican politicians have cult of personality tendencies, especially this one.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Donald Trump is not a Republican. I would give anything for an actual Republican to be president right now.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

you guys take diplomatic platitudes too seriously when a Republican is in the Oval Office.

Name one comparable episode from Obama's or Clinton's presidency.