Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 07, 2018, 09:03:29 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 07, 2018, 07:55:52 AM
Why don't you just come home already.
I have a wife with a baby on the way. I can't just get up and leave.

Make plans.  Seriously.  I'm not saying you need to leave right now, but if Trump starts making ultimatums you need to get out.  Keep a suitcase packed.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

He's got a rickshaw ready to roll. If he remembered to feed the coolie.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Yeah, at a minimum it may be worth it to register with your embassy and make sure your wife (and soon to be child) is as well. In case you aren't already.

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 07, 2018, 09:03:29 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on March 07, 2018, 07:55:52 AM
Why don't you just come home already.
I have a wife with a baby on the way. I can't just get up and leave.

While I don't think that we'll actually go to war in Korea, the fact the you have a family to consider should be a reason to leave, not a reason to stay.

Admiral Yi

If Timmy has to leave Korea then by the same logic katmai should leave Alaska.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 08, 2018, 12:57:25 AM

I'll stay and keep the commies from cutting the pipeline.

Eddie Teach

Alaska is much bigger and less important.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Uh, why?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on March 08, 2018, 05:56:57 AM
Uh, why?

Whatever logic you used to decide Timmy should leave Korea, use it on Alaska.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 08, 2018, 07:18:25 AM
Uh, why?

That makes no sense. Worst case scenario for Alaska is that NK defeats all odds and manages to lunge a conventional rocket that actually hits an urban area.

For Seoul, utter destruction is 100% guaranteed, unless the USAF manages the most impressive quick preemptive air strike campaign of history.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on March 08, 2018, 08:01:57 AM
That makes no sense. Worst case scenario for Alaska is that NK defeats all odds and manages to lunge a conventional rocket that actually hits an urban area.

For Seoul, utter destruction is 100% guaranteed, unless the USAF manages the most impressive quick preemptive air strike campaign of history.

I think the worst case for Alaska is a nuke.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 08, 2018, 07:18:25 AM
Uh, why?

There is a risk that Trump will take some action to precipitate a conflict with North Korea.

If there's a conflict with North Korea, Seoul - the densely populated metropolis where Timmy resides - is at risk to see concentrated shelling in the opening of that conflict. Even if Timmy and his family avoids immediate hurt, the chaos of a metropolis of ~10 million under attack doing who knows what supply and basic safety, is unpleasant at best.

Alaska is not under threat of immediate attack in event of conflict with North Korea. Even if it's attacked, it is less likely that where ever Katmai is will be attacked. Even if that place is attacked, the attack is less likely to be sustained than an attack on Seoul. The potential social breakdown and additional dangers are likely less severe due to a less dense population pattern, and relief is likely to come faster and be better organized due to Alaska's proximity to the rest of the US and the smaller absolute number of people caught in the area of attack.

I'm not saying that Timmy should leave Seoul, but there's more to worry about in that city than in Alaska IMO.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 08, 2018, 08:41:13 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 08, 2018, 08:01:57 AM

I think the worst case for Alaska is a nuke.

Agreed that is the worst case. IMO, the likelihood of a nuke is less likely than the likelihood of Seoul taking serious damage. North Korean nukes may also miss or be shot at targets other than where ever Katmai is, and are unlikely to be followed up by sustained attack or ground fighting or extensive food and water shortages.

Eddie Teach

Katmai does live in Anchorage, which is the only actual city in Alaska, so there is some risk. I think the Norks would be more likely to try for LA, Frisco, Seattle though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

I thought Tim lived in Sejong.  Worst case scenario is for the North Korea to conquer the South.  While unlikely, it's somewhat more likely than the idea of North Korea conquering Alaska.

I think it's more likely that North Korea has fitted a nuclear weapon to a short or intermediate range missile than it is for to have fit a nuclear warhead to an ICBM.