Korea Thread: Liberal Moon Jae In Elected

Started by jimmy olsen, March 25, 2013, 09:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

As I'm sure you heard, Liberal Moon Jae In was elected president. I would have voted for the centrist Ahn, but he came in third, and the conservative who came in second was an even more rapey lawyer version of Trump.

Moon will attempt to negotiate with the North. He will develop Sejong rather than Seoul. He will attempt to increase public sector jobs by a ludicrous 800k in a country of 50 million! That's the equivalent of more than 5 million jobs in the US.

Results

Moon now

Moon then

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Hey Timmay, I wanted to ask you earlier but I forgot:  I know Moon was riding a groundswell after the Samsung and Park scandals, but how much of Trump's goofy ass mouth do you think affected the final results?  What's the vibe on the street? How does Jang Na-ra feel about all this?  And how does it make her pert and supple breasts feel?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 11, 2017, 07:03:08 PM
Hey Timmay, I wanted to ask you earlier but I forgot:  I know Moon was riding a groundswell after the Samsung and Park scandals, but how much of Trump's goofy ass mouth do you think affected the final results?  What's the vibe on the street? How does Jang Na-ra feel about all this?  And how does it make her pert and supple breasts feel?

He certainly didn't help, though I don't know how much damage he really did.

Trump freaks most politically aware Koreans out. 

1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Your cartoonist needs some work on non-slanty eyes.

mongers

Just watched a documentary about defector tv programs in South Korea, interesting approach to educating the population about conditions in the North; and due to smuggled media, informing the North about the freedoms in the South.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

From today's ForeignPolicy.com--

QuoteAnd then there were three. Three U.S. carrier strike groups may soon be in operation off the Korean peninsula once the USS Nimitz, which is leaving its Washington state homeport Thursday, reaches the area.

There are already two strike groups led by the aircraft carriers USS Carl Vinson and USS Ronald Reagan in the Western Pacific, operating together near the Korean coast. It marks the first time since the 1990s that two carriers have operated together near Korea. The Vinson is in the final days of an extended deployment ordered by president Trump in response to continued North Korean missile tests.

The Japanese military kicked off a three-day exercise with the two carriers in the Sea of Japan on Thursday, sending two ships, including a helicopter carrier, to work with the American vessels, according to Reuters. The drills include Japanese F-15s taking part in simulated combat with U.S. Navy F-18 fighters. "It's the first time we have exercised with two carriers. It's a major exercise for us," a Japanese military spokesman said. SitRep asked the U.S. Pacific Command for comment on the three carriers, and is waiting for a response.

I look forward to the Chinese press releases on how the Japanese can find the time to drill with the USN, but not apologize for its roles in WW2 atrocities at the same time.

Ed Anger

QuoteIt's the first time we have exercised with two carriers. It's a major exercise for us," a Japanese military spokesman said

He dreams of exercising with six carriers.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 02, 2017, 08:14:28 AM
QuoteIt's the first time we have exercised with two carriers. It's a major exercise for us," a Japanese military spokesman said

He dreams of exercising with six carriers.

Was watching Tora! Tora! Tora! last weekend.  Goofy ass Imperial Japanese navy sense of aesthetics, one of the most modern navies at the time, but recording air strike hits with a paint brush like it's arts and crafts time.  Everything half silk and half steel.  Like the Bamboo Lounge from Goodfellas with a flight deck.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Good news

http://m.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20170718000936#cb

Moon to raise defense budget to 2.9% of GDP within term
Published: 2017-07-18 17:14
Updated: 2017-07-18 17:14     

President Moon Jae-in on Tuesday said that he plans to raise the country's defense spending to 2.9 percent of the gross domestic product from the current 2.4 percent during his term.

Speaking at a meeting with current and former defense ministers, and commanders of key branches of the military, Moon said that his administration is planning the increase, asking those in attendance for advice on improving Seoul's defense capabilities.

"The new administration seeks dialogue with North Korea, but it would be meaningless without overwhelming defense capabilities," Moon said.

"The goal is to raise the defense budget to 2.9 percent of the GDP from the current 2.4 percent within (my term)."

Those who attended the meeting included Han Min-koo and Song Young-moo, the former and incumbent defense ministers, respectively, commanders of the Air Force, Army, Navy and the marines.

Moon also stressed the importance of defense, saying that national security must not be affected by politics.

"Defense is a matter of survival of the nation. Defense and national security is all the more important as North Korea continues its provocations," Moon said, describing economy and defense as the most important pillars that maintain a nation.

By Choi He-suk

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 11, 2017, 06:42:32 PM
As I'm sure you heard, Liberal Moon Jae In was elected president. I would have voted for the centrist Ahn, but he came in third, and the conservative who came in second was an even more rapey lawyer version of Trump.

Moon will attempt to negotiate with the North. He will develop Sejong rather than Seoul. He will attempt to increase public sector jobs by a ludicrous 800k in a country of 50 million! That's the equivalent of more than 5 million jobs in the US.

Korea must be over the moon right now. :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Eddie Teach on July 23, 2017, 01:24:42 AM
Yay, more bombs. :mellow:

They've got a totalitarian police state on the border armed with weapons of mass destruction that vehemently lay claims to all of their territory. How is this not a rational decision? It's not like they're breaking the bank.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

It may be rational, it's not something to cheer about. Unless you're a defense contractor.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?