News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What's Wrong With the Term 'Person of Color'

Started by garbon, March 22, 2013, 08:52:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: garbon on March 22, 2013, 11:30:21 AM
That's it quotes. I don't think it is true but the sort of thing that does certainly exist as some people's perception* - as well as something that someone might draw as a conclusion from attempts of blacks to look white.

Yeah, I'm not sure how it works among black women - maybe "black is beautiful" was a reaction to black guys going after white women instead of them?

I would imagine that black men have lots of different things to feel oppressed about, but that one of them is not "an innate ability to pick up women of virtually any ethnic background".

EDIT: I don't mean that last sentence to sound flippant. I sincerely *do* imagine black men would have a lot to complain about.
and the horse you rode in on

Admiral Yi

Agree with fahdiz.  It's a very good time to be a black man who's not in jail.

Light skinned black chicks have it pretty good too.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2013, 11:38:11 AM

A commodity in short supply, and demand goes up.  Can set their own price.

QuoteLight skinned black chicks have it pretty good too.

Black chicks in general seem not concerned about bringing home a white boy to Moms anymore.

garbon

Quote from: fahdiz on March 22, 2013, 11:36:40 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure how it works among black women - maybe "black is beautiful" was a reaction to black guys going after white women instead of them?

I would imagine that black men have lots of different things to feel oppressed about, but that one of them is not "an innate ability to pick up women of virtually any ethnic background".

EDIT: I don't mean that last sentence to sound flippant. I sincerely *do* imagine black men would have a lot to complain about.

That's fair enough but then I didn't realize we were splitting the discussion to discuss each gender separately.  I was just speaking in general of where that sort of opinion can stem from.  In fact, things that we were talking about like hair relaxing have a much bigger market among women than men.

Naturally, of course, my dating site example stemmed from gay sites. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

Quote from: garbon on March 22, 2013, 11:45:09 AM
That's fair enough but then I didn't realize we were splitting the discussion to discuss each gender separately.

Well, I think definitions of beauty, attractiveness, etc are generally a bit different between men and women, so it made sense to me to speak of them separately.

garbon

Quote from: fahdiz on March 22, 2013, 11:50:36 AM
Quote from: garbon on March 22, 2013, 11:45:09 AM
That's fair enough but then I didn't realize we were splitting the discussion to discuss each gender separately.

Well, I think definitions of beauty, attractiveness, etc are generally a bit different between men and women, so it made sense to me to speak of them separately.

Okay, just seemed like a diversion to me as it'd stemmed from my mentions of whether or not racism is implicit in skin-lightening products. Whether or not black men can get all the ladies, seems immaterial. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

:D Fair enough, I guess it's immaterial to a discussion of skin lightening but is material to a discussion about "beauty".

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on March 22, 2013, 10:35:52 AM
It seems like any term has a short lifespan when it is the new politically correct way to refer to people who shouldn't be named, after which is it being regarded as offensive and some new term takes its place.

Welcome to the "euphemism treadmill".

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Euphemism#Euphemism_treadmill
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 22, 2013, 11:00:28 AM
I thought tanning was a bit passe now, the mark of someone who doesn't care about their health and goes on crappy package holidays to the Med  :hmm: ?

Reminds me of the Dr. Suess story "the Sneeches".

The poors got stars on thars!  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Black women look like transvestites. Sue me.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Brazen on March 22, 2013, 10:43:50 AM
Out of interest, would Americans call someone of white South African or Zimbabwean descent African American?

Well I think this was one of the reasons we dumped 'African-American' we now actually have a substantial number of immigrants from Africa and we didn't back when the term was adopted.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2013, 11:38:11 AM

The BLS data sets beg to differ.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2013, 03:56:13 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 22, 2013, 03:54:32 PM
The BLS data sets beg to differ.

I was mostly talking about scoring the snatch.

Interesting how that stuff works. I read somewhere that the lowest-rated groups to belong to in that respect were Black women and Asian men. Have no idea if it was true, though I suspect it might be - seems that for whatever reason lotsa White dudes have the yellow fever for Asian women, but that the same isn't true of White women for Asian men.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 22, 2013, 11:30:21 AM
As an example, I see a lot of "no blacks" listed in profiles when on dating sites. Usually with a comment like - not racist, just a preference.

Wow that's weird.  Of course back when I was doing the online dating thing it was a rare black woman who would not have her list of racial preferences anything other than just black...or at least the ones I was considering.  I would be just like 'oh ok...thanks for letting me know' and move on.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."