News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A fun little SR-71 story

Started by grumbler, March 20, 2013, 07:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 21, 2013, 09:19:18 PM
I loved Battleships. The South Dakota was my pride and joy. Except for the heavy use of glue on the aft turrets.  :blush:

The Graf Spee ended up burning in a kiddie pool in the backyard. Damn Limeys.
I had a huge number of waterline warships.  My favorites were Hood, Iowa, Hiei and Gneisenau.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Maladict

I'm building a waterline Vittorio Veneto. Now there's a good looking dreadnought.

Neil

Yeah, the Italians made lovely ships, even though there were some defects in fighting qualities.  I just bought a big reference book for the Littorio class.

Right now, I only do 1/350 scale ships.  I've had a partially done Prince of Wales in the closet for a couple of years.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Maladict

Quote from: Neil on March 22, 2013, 07:26:27 AM
Yeah, the Italians made lovely ships, even though there were some defects in fighting qualities.  I just bought a big reference book for the Littorio class.

Right now, I only do 1/350 scale ships.  I've had a partially done Prince of Wales in the closet for a couple of years.

http://www.amazon.com/Littorio-Class-Largest-Battleships-1937-1948/dp/1591144450
This one? I thought the price was a bit steep, is it worth it?

The Tamiya 1/700 PoW was my favourite when I was a kid. I used to dream of the 1/350, well out of my reach financially. And physically too, as they kept them on the upper shelves.
Something about those quads, maybe. Same with the Richelieu, intriguing ship.

Neil

That's the one.  It's really in depth, so if you're interested in how the ship comes together, it might be worth it.  The price wasn't really an issue for me, as that seems to be pretty much the going rate for a decent warship book.  And I've bought a lot of warship books.

The Tamiya 1/350s are really affordable these days, it seems to me.  There's a hobby shop near here selling them for 80 dollars or so.  But yeah, when I was a kid there was no way I could afford that.  Then again, even the waterline ones weren't exactly cheap.  Some places were charging 30-35 bucks for a battleship.

mongers

Quote from: Neil on March 22, 2013, 07:54:07 AM
That's the one.  It's really in depth, so if you're interested in how the ship comes together, it might be worth it.  The price wasn't really an issue for me, as that seems to be pretty much the going rate for a decent warship book.  And I've bought a lot of warship books.

The Tamiya 1/350s are really affordable these days, it seems to me.  There's a hobby shop near here selling them for 80 dollars or so.  But yeah, when I was a kid there was no way I could afford that.  Then again, even the waterline ones weren't exactly cheap.  Some places were charging 30-35 bucks for a battleship.

Oh, some shop on ebay is doing the KGV for 35 quid, I'm tempted, but know I'd never get around to making it.  :(
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

Add the aftermarket stuff and paint and it will be a lot more  :)

It's both inspiring and demoralizing, but look at this 1/700 Roma: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/bb/it/Roma-700-kk/index.htm
Picture no.10 has a lighter next to it for scale. Amazing stuff.

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on March 22, 2013, 09:27:25 AM
Add the aftermarket stuff and paint and it will be a lot more  :)

It's both inspiring and demoralizing, but look at this 1/700 Roma: http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/bb/it/Roma-700-kk/index.htm
Picture no.10 has a lighter next to it for scale. Amazing stuff.

Yeah, how do those people do it, mind boggling. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Neil

I haven't got the steady hands to do that.