Start of the Iraq War 10 Years Ago Today. And Trigger For A Smaller Migration?

Started by mongers, March 19, 2013, 06:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

The war start 10 years ago today, if you assume the attempted decapitation strike against Saddam was the start.

And perhaps the main the reason we all ended up here. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Iraq, gift wrapped and given to Tehran.  Happy Anniversary, Mahmoud.   You're welcome.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 19, 2013, 07:02:29 PM
Iraq, gift wrapped and given to Tehran.  Happy Anniversary, Mahmoud.   You're welcome.

Yeah and damned expensive wrapping at that.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Neil

You were the biggest supporter of the attack around.  I think you just like being contrary.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on March 19, 2013, 07:48:10 PM
You were the biggest supporter of the attack around.  I think you just like being contrary.

No, you have me confused with Hansfrother. 
I supported its legal legitimacy versus the Axis of Weasels arguments, not its necessity.  I liked keeping them in their little Northern Watch/Southern Watch box.

It was Iran I wanted popped after 9/11 and the Axis of Evil speech.  But noooo.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Part of what irks me about the war remembrance is that so many people that were in favor of it now justify themselves by saying that the Bush administration just fucked up the execution. To paraphrase someone, you go to war with the administration you have, not the administration you wish you had.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 19, 2013, 07:52:52 PM
Blame Carter.  He should have dropped a hydrogen bomb on Tehran as soon as the embassy shit went down.  Then Tarantino would have won Best Picture this year.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on March 19, 2013, 11:25:50 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 19, 2013, 07:52:52 PM
Blame Carter.  He should have dropped a hydrogen bomb on Tehran as soon as the embassy shit went down.  Then Tarantino would have won Best Picture this year.
:lol:

I'm still pissed about the leftist response to the war.  At least now that conservatives have more or less given up, I can get that; conservatives have no real values.  The left should have been all over regime change.  Remember when there were no limits to the violence Democrats would contemplate to free the world?  Then failure to escalate in Vietnam ruined this dumb country.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Neil

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on March 19, 2013, 11:31:55 PM
I'm still pissed about the leftist response to the war.  At least now that conservatives have more or less given up, I can get that; conservatives have no real values.  The left should have been all over regime change.

I had no problem with regime change, provided it was another Baathist Sunni strongman of our choosing.  But no, we had to introduce "democracy".  In a Shia majority country.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.