News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is EU3 fun yet?

Started by Faeelin, May 21, 2009, 05:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on January 07, 2010, 01:47:51 AM
Bah - in the end I've fucked up by letting my infamy get too high to begin with.  I progress with my war with the Timurids, and get DOW'd by Venice.

I'm going back to an earlier save. <_<
It may not have anything to do with Infamy.  AI dogpiles you, and other AI, at the slightest sign of weakness (which may simply be being at war with a strong neighbor).

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 07, 2010, 11:36:15 AM
Quote from: Barrister on January 06, 2010, 11:05:18 PM
Shit - I don't really want to destroy 'em.  I just want to survive a war with them, maybe take the one CB province of mine they hold.

What is a "non-loc province"?

You fail as a war leader.
Sometimes destroying the enemy is a bad thing.  I groan whenever I deliver a fatal blow to the enemy, only to have one or two of the much more fearsome blobs feast on the remains like vultures.  Often the vultures are getting a juicier piece than me, who smashed their doomstacks and depleted their manpower.

Galrion

Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2010, 08:27:36 AM

Choose Noble Republic and pick the Bureaucratic candidate, I did that after my 17 y.o. 3 ADM monarch got himself a 3 ADM heir. I got a 9 ADM 8 DIP 7 MIL leader. I'm gonna let him stay on until he dies and then pick the Bureacratic candidate again. When I get my centralisation to -5 I'm going full western.

Interesting.  I haven't messed around with the form of government much, I wasn't really sure what real effect it would have other than how far I could adjust sliders.

Viking

Quote from: Galrion on January 08, 2010, 03:30:40 AM
Quote from: Viking on January 07, 2010, 08:27:36 AM

Choose Noble Republic and pick the Bureaucratic candidate, I did that after my 17 y.o. 3 ADM monarch got himself a 3 ADM heir. I got a 9 ADM 8 DIP 7 MIL leader. I'm gonna let him stay on until he dies and then pick the Bureacratic candidate again. When I get my centralisation to -5 I'm going full western.

Interesting.  I haven't messed around with the form of government much, I wasn't really sure what real effect it would have other than how far I could adjust sliders.
'

Noble Republic is pretty damn cool. +1 tolerance for heretics and heathenn (damn cold snap.. I just got in and my fingers aren't warm yet) 0.9 magristrates and you vote for your leader. If you get a god like one (my 9 ADM 9 DIP 5 MIL guy springs to mind) you keep him until death.

Here is a link to the government page at the EUIII wiki. No info on HTTT though..

http://www.paradoxian.org/eu3wiki/Forms_of_Government
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

I'm actually pretty proud of this battle. It is the result of hard work, hard thought and good planning. It is also the story of how I beat a 40 province burgundy blob with 150k men and was emperor and defender of the catholic faith.

as you can see this is a battle fought on the island of venice between two similarly sized opponents with decent leaders and similar losses. But it is so much more. Jean III Bonapart was emperor and at the head of 35 regiments of the best men in europe. Ambrosios Spyropolos was the Legate of the Noble Republic of Rome with a mere 20 regiments. The Burgundian army surrendered because the Roman navy was blocading the straits. You say, so what a nasty battle in a nasty place about half way between Antwerp and Byzantinum, so what. What makes this battle special are the circumstances leading up to it. First of all a Roman legion consists of 13 cohorts of legionaries, 5 alae of cavalry and 2 ehh.. whatever of artillery. I never had more than one legion committed to battle, but I was supported by the armies of my two province orthodox vassals (bosnia, serbia, wallachia, moldavia and transylvania) and I believe a few ethiopians and smolenskians made it to the front before the war ended.

The war starts in the Ukraine (naturally) a Roman delegation met with a Lithuanian one to discuss the borders between cherson and podolia and poltava. The Senate's Legate is thought to have behaved inappropriately (which is why the Senate sent him) by demanding much land, to which the Lithuanian replied "My Mother is Buried on that land". The Senator is then thought to have said "tell me where exactly so I can dig up the body and fuck her". 10 seconds later the Senator's body guard had killed the Lithuanian and one month later 5 Legions have occupied 10 lithuanian provinces. The Lithuanians at that point were happy to cede the provinces under discussion for 0 infamy due to the validity of the Roman claim, not the 100 thousand Legionaries rampaging all over their country.

At that point the Senate noticed that despite Lithuanian making peace we happened to still be at war with Christians. Much shocked; and with the full knowledge that Eurasia has always been at war with East Asia; the Senate looked into this. Apparently the Western Emperor and Protector of the Catholic Faith was at war with us with his 150k men and they, at this very time were marching across the alps to attack Gallia-Cisalpina and Illyria. Since the Front was narrow and the land was poor it was decided that Varangian tactics were to be used (like Fabian, only better suited to EUIII). The two Legions in the area Legio Gallia and Legio Pannonia were to provide a battle force and a reserve. The 5 legions from Lithuania were to return to Thrace and provide what the tactician called War Capacity. When asked how a soldier does more for the war effort at home than at the front the tactician said he does more damage by dying than he can do good by staying alive.

Legio Gallia was in Treviso and Legio Pannonia was in Slavonia. The Burgundian Deathstack reached Tyrol. The Byzantine fleet was still in drydock in Sinope so was too far away to effectively protect LG if she withdrew to venice, so LG attempted to go overland into croatia. Aquilea was a OPM in Firuli which didn't grant me access. But the Deathstack at assaulted Tyrol quckly and caught LG before she could escape. Legio Pannonia was renamed Legio Gallia and a new legion was constructed in Croatia.  The burgundian doom stack moved on to Treviso while a secondary minor doomstack moved towards croatia. Main doomstack 10k cav, 22k inf, 3k art. Minordoomstack 10k cav 10k inf. The minor doom stack was hit by a few vassal stack 2-5k without much effect to anything other than the vassal's WE, manpower and gold stash so I sent some money. The Majordoomstack eventually got over to venice, assaulted it, forced the anti-pirate galley to flee and found itself stuck. 35k men stuck on venice, sucking up manpower and attritting like mad. The Senate decided to just leave them there until the end of the war.

The Minordoomstack after being hit a few times and finding it's loc to Istria (where it had reached by then) cut off when the renamed LG had retaken Görtz. Was wiped out after a failed assault. The LG was on ships so the minordoomstack assaulted with the LG arriving the day after the assault failed. POOF went the minordoomstack. Now the Legio Gallia and about 20k vassals/allies went on the offensive. Sieging and assaulting their way into Burgundy moving agressively while maintaining loc, morale and numbers. Burgundian citadelles in Limousine, Normandie and Kassel were taken by the LG and vassals/allies in about two years of moving and assaulting. Burgundian maintenance was low at this point. They had a big stack to fund in venice and bosnians, serbs, moldavians, transylvanians and wallachians rampaging over their lands (as well as ethiopians and smolenskians towards the end). So, once all burgundian land had been taken the LG returned to regain it's honour against the Doomstack which had destroyed it's namesake. It filled it's numbers and built up it's morale and attacked the now attrited Majordoomstack and beat it fair and square (well, neither fair nor square, it just won) destroying it in the process since the Doomstack had nowhere to run without drowning.

The war is over and 20k beat 150k destroying the Burgundian nation. After this peace burgundy will have a noncontiguous country, -3 stability, -100 prestige, 0 manpower, 0 WC, 20% WE and will be destroyed by either the 5 province france, the 5 province england or the one of the other medium and minor countries in the area. France and England already imploded on their own earlier.

Now, why did I just use one Legion at a time? Apart from my desire to micro manage? Well, to keep WE down. Burgundy has 19.50% I have 3.0%. Fewer troops mean less attrition.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tamas

Viking

Burgundy eventually caved to 3 provinces and after another war adopted Orthodoxy. Now it gets the vote of the only orthodox elector (Meissen) for emperor.

DGuller

Forcing a HRE nation to adopt Orthodox religion is a very good away of making it fall apart.  They're going to be beset by rebels and be out of favor with HRE.  As Russia, I did it to Poland and Bohemia, and shortly afterwards both of them were reduced to the punching bag status.  I should do it more often just as a war aim, but the last war with Europeans scared me, as they can make my life difficult when all of them fight me at once.

Viking

found  this :bleeding: on paradox

the loser had 45 regiments.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on January 09, 2010, 02:35:36 AM
How?

Looking at the seige screen lower left, by having zero morale.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

Yeah, the zero-morale army-surrender thing can be pretty rough, especially since assaults/retreats never stop/occur unless the armies fighting are at zero morale.  There should be a threshold to retreat that's a miniscule amount to prevent such stupidity.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

The Papacy currently owns Iceland in my game, though they also control Rome and have never lost it (though Milan won a few wars against them, but never deigned to annex for some reason).

Does anyone have any idea why that would seem to be a common trend?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on January 09, 2010, 02:37:59 AM
Quote from: katmai on January 09, 2010, 02:35:36 AM
How?

Looking at the seige screen lower left, by having zero morale.

The battle was in silistra, the siege in kosovo, but yes, it was a zero morale thing. Three 15 regiment armies were there, two were broken the third wasn't apparently. The the ottomans finish building 1 infantry regiment and it wipes out the lot. Ramboglu is you ask me.

Martinus

Quote from: Habbaku on January 09, 2010, 02:55:15 AM
The Papacy currently owns Iceland in my game, though they also control Rome and have never lost it (though Milan won a few wars against them, but never deigned to annex for some reason).

Does anyone have any idea why that would seem to be a common trend?

Wild guess: does Iceland start as a colony? Maybe it gets destroyed, with Iceland becoming colonizable and, this being the only colonizable area Papacy knows, they send their colonists there (which they have for being narrowminded)?