News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is EU3 fun yet?

Started by Faeelin, May 21, 2009, 05:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on June 02, 2009, 11:27:55 AM
I don't think that flavor things like random leader names have an large impact on historical performance. :P

Besides is p'dox concerned about historical performance? It seems that they create models of how they think states function and how to make warfare/economic fun and then let the chips fall as they may.

I was just trying to give an example about how they do seem concerned with historical accuracy and have asked for help in that regard.

Anyway, that's why you'll sometimes have a General Doubledees running around for the CSA, in case you were wondering.  :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on June 02, 2009, 12:37:25 PM
I was just trying to give an example about how they do seem concerned with historical accuracy and have asked for help in that regard.

Anyway, that's why you'll sometimes have a General Doubledees running around for the CSA, in case you were wondering.  :blush:

Lipstick on a pig. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Actually EU3 is one ofthe most historically accurate games I've played.  Start up a game at the latest possible date and look at the ledger.  Nearly every war and monarch are repersented.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Razgovory on June 02, 2009, 12:40:47 PM
Actually EU3 is one ofthe most historically accurate games I've played.  Start up a game at the latest possible date and look at the ledger. 

I bet that's lots of fun.

Phillip V

Quote from: garbon on June 02, 2009, 11:35:34 AM
That wasn't even the case in eu2. AIs often colonized random places much to the chagrin of many.
At least China stopped colonizing the Americas after patch 1.03.

PDH

Fired up EU3 on new computer...runs way too fast now...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Caliga

Quote from: Phillip V on June 03, 2009, 08:13:07 AM
At least China stopped colonizing the Americas after patch 1.03.
That actually wouldn't bother me too much, given what the Chinese could have accomplished if they hadn't suddenly become giant pussy navel-gazers around 1430 or so.

Seeing the Eastern Seaboard colonized by Lithuania, Lorraine, and Hesse is a bit more bothersome IMO.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on June 02, 2009, 12:40:47 PM
Actually EU3 is one ofthe most historically accurate games I've played.  Start up a game at the latest possible date and look at the ledger.  Nearly every war and monarch are repersented.

Best Raz line in a while.

:lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Inspired by my reading about the Turkish wars I started a Ottoman Empire game. It's pretty fun do far (I'm in 1438 and have conquered/vassalized my Christian neighbours and conquered some Turksih minors). I also kicked the Knights of St. John out of Rhodes as per mission. Going for Caraman triggered a pretty shitty war against all of North Africa and Hedjaz. Fortunately I just had to slap their armies that came to me. I'm going narrowminded for now to get missionaries for converting the infidels on the balkans.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Lucidor

In Nomine with the map graphics modded.

I started a game as Muscovy in 1487, and promptly took some provinces from the Lithuanians. I then took one some of the khanates and vassalised some, and just cut up the rest. My 4 shock generals with all cavalry armies were tearing up Persia and the Siberian and Tartar lands. Also, I had sent some guy to scout out Siberia for me. Georgia and Armenians are my vassals. I was pretty contented I'd win, and when Poland allied with Lithuania declared war on Riga, which I had guaranteed, I clicked wrong button...

Fifteen years later (in the middle of the night) I had lost some 240 000 men, and my war score never reached above 14% or something. P-L sent über generals against me, pretty much each one of them were 5 shock, routinely defeating my armies about twice their size. I am lucky in a few battles, and generally tried to fend for myself.

Since I was pretty much on 3000 manpower for a long time and my armies had begun to fall apart, sometimes losing a 10/30 stack of 2000/5000 men in one battle, I sued for peace. I got about 250 ducats. I'll continue the game, without going back to the saves, but I feel I've learned a few tactical lessons, to say the least. Perhaps I should only post summary cavalry armies on the front, scorching the land and retreating as soon as a worthy enemy comes at you, letting attrition do its magic, while you sit back and counter attack if they should launch a failed assault, or when they are outnumbered 1:2 or more.

I loved it, but I still haven't figured out how to play the game.

Zoupa

If it's the same as EU2, Russia only ever needs one ally: winter.

Your crap supply provinces+winter+dumb ai = win!

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on September 22, 2009, 09:59:46 PM
If it's the same as EU2, Russia only ever needs one ally: winter.

Your crap supply provinces+winter+dumb ai = win!

That works cause Russia usually one has one ally!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: PDH on June 03, 2009, 10:20:02 AM
Exageration for 'acceptably' I hope?
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: Lucidor on September 22, 2009, 01:49:56 PM
Since I was pretty much on 3000 manpower for a long time and my armies had begun to fall apart, sometimes losing a 10/30 stack of 2000/5000 men in one battle, I sued for peace. I got about 250 ducats. I'll continue the game, without going back to the saves, but I feel I've learned a few tactical lessons, to say the least. Perhaps I should only post summary cavalry armies on the front, scorching the land and retreating as soon as a worthy enemy comes at you, letting attrition do its magic, while you sit back and counter attack if they should launch a failed assault, or when they are outnumbered 1:2 or more.
Needling the enemy with small raiding forces generally seems to work in my experience.  In my most recent game as France I easily defeated the Burgundians in this manner despite them DoWing me (catching me off-guard and with low manpower from a recent war with England) and promptly invading me with huge armies.  They seemed to break seiges multiple times as soon as I began beseiging their rear provinces, even though it was with small, crappy armies.  In the end the only province of mine they seized was Champagne and I'd occupied the whole country and eliminated their armies and ally Trier.

PDH

Quote from: Tyr on September 23, 2009, 07:19:01 AM
Quote from: PDH on June 03, 2009, 10:20:02 AM
Exageration for 'acceptably' I hope?
No...on highest speed it is just too fast...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM