New York Legislature seeks ban on sale of shark fins

Started by garbon, March 18, 2013, 09:17:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/new-york-eyes-ban-sale-shark-fins-article-1.1290745?localLinksEnabled=false

QuoteNew York City has claimed the dubious distinction as the capital of the shark fin trade in the U.S. since California banned the industry Jan. 1.
But a bill re-introduced in the state Legislature could change all that.

The huge business surrounding the importing and distributing of shark fins is readily apparent in Chinatown.

"You walk into these stores and you see the fins, from 10 inches to 30 inches, and you wonder, 'Where did they get these things?'" Patrick Kwan, director of Grassroots Organizing for the Humane Society of the United States, told the Daily News. "DNA analysis of the fins have shown that they're some of the most endangered species out there."

On Friday, Kwan led a reporter on a tour through a half-dozen dried-seafood stores, where scores of the fibrous, translucent fins were on display.

"There's pressure to serve shark fin soup at weddings and other special events," Kwan said. "It's a status symbol."

At Chung Chou City on Mott St,. a gray 14-inch fin was sold for $569 per pound, while a 13-inch, fully processed fin went for $638 per pound.
A menu outside Ping Seafood Restaurant advertised three types of shark fin soup, ranging from $20 per person for broth with broken fins to $80 per person for a pricey whole fin soup.

A sign in Chinese at one shop explained that the fins would help improve the respiratory system, kidneys and other core organs, health claims that have never been scientifically proven. "Sellers boast that shark fins cure just about every disease," Kwan said. "Ironically, studies show that the fins store harmful toxins."

With prices soaring because of China's rising affluence, the market for the fins has helped push many shark species to the brink of extinction. That has prompted a bipartisan effort in the Legislature for New York to join Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, California and Illinois in the banning the possession, sale and distribution of the prized dorsal fins.

Assemblyman Alan Maisel (D-Brooklyn) and state Sen. Mark Grisanti (R-Buffalo) re-introduced a bill on March 6 that would ban what many Chinese residents feel is a cultural tradition. Kwan said the bill has 29 legislators signed up as sponsors.

City Council Member Margaret Chin, who represents Chinatown, says tradition is beside the point. "I have no sympathy for that argument," Chin told The News. "Who can afford shark fin soup? Not normal working people. So what traditions are we talking about?"
Chin helped pass a city resolution supporting Maisel and Grisanti's bill, and says that many in the Chinese community are starting to understand what's at stake.

"I think the message is finally getting across," Chin said.
Advocates hope it's not too late. "The shark fin trade will end sooner or later," Kwan said. "The only question is whether that will happen before some species go extinct."

For Seeds.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

viper37

Quote from: garbon on March 18, 2013, 09:17:19 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/new-york-eyes-ban-sale-shark-fins-article-1.1290745?localLinksEnabled=false

QuoteNew York City has claimed the dubious distinction as the capital of the shark fin trade in the U.S. since California banned the industry Jan. 1.
But a bill re-introduced in the state Legislature could change all that.

The huge business surrounding the importing and distributing of shark fins is readily apparent in Chinatown.

"You walk into these stores and you see the fins, from 10 inches to 30 inches, and you wonder, 'Where did they get these things?'" Patrick Kwan, director of Grassroots Organizing for the Humane Society of the United States, told the Daily News. "DNA analysis of the fins have shown that they're some of the most endangered species out there."

On Friday, Kwan led a reporter on a tour through a half-dozen dried-seafood stores, where scores of the fibrous, translucent fins were on display.

"There's pressure to serve shark fin soup at weddings and other special events," Kwan said. "It's a status symbol."

At Chung Chou City on Mott St,. a gray 14-inch fin was sold for $569 per pound, while a 13-inch, fully processed fin went for $638 per pound.
A menu outside Ping Seafood Restaurant advertised three types of shark fin soup, ranging from $20 per person for broth with broken fins to $80 per person for a pricey whole fin soup.

A sign in Chinese at one shop explained that the fins would help improve the respiratory system, kidneys and other core organs, health claims that have never been scientifically proven. "Sellers boast that shark fins cure just about every disease," Kwan said. "Ironically, studies show that the fins store harmful toxins."

With prices soaring because of China's rising affluence, the market for the fins has helped push many shark species to the brink of extinction. That has prompted a bipartisan effort in the Legislature for New York to join Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, California and Illinois in the banning the possession, sale and distribution of the prized dorsal fins.

Assemblyman Alan Maisel (D-Brooklyn) and state Sen. Mark Grisanti (R-Buffalo) re-introduced a bill on March 6 that would ban what many Chinese residents feel is a cultural tradition. Kwan said the bill has 29 legislators signed up as sponsors.

City Council Member Margaret Chin, who represents Chinatown, says tradition is beside the point. "I have no sympathy for that argument," Chin told The News. "Who can afford shark fin soup? Not normal working people. So what traditions are we talking about?"
Chin helped pass a city resolution supporting Maisel and Grisanti's bill, and says that many in the Chinese community are starting to understand what's at stake.

"I think the message is finally getting across," Chin said.
Advocates hope it's not too late. "The shark fin trade will end sooner or later," Kwan said. "The only question is whether that will happen before some species go extinct."

For Seeds.
Will Sarah Palin climb on stage eating a shark fin?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Will that help restoring the seal trade? Because those giants rats are destroying fishing stock.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

dps

“You walk into these stores and you see the fins, from 10 inches to 30 inches, and you wonder, ‘Where did they get these things?’” Patrick Kwan, director of Grassroots Organizing for the Humane Society of the United States, told the Daily News. “.”

You know, if you don't know where shark fins come from, you might not be as smart as you think you are.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: dps on March 18, 2013, 11:04:19 AM

"You walk into these stores and you see the fins, from 10 inches to 30 inches, and you wonder, 'Where did they get these things?'" Patrick Kwan, director of Grassroots Organizing for the Humane Society of the United States, told the Daily News. "."

You know, if you don't know where shark fins come from, you might not be as smart as you think you are.

At least he's being sarcastic, as opposed to the millions of godless yellow slopes that actually believe in their voodoo and status symbolism bullshit.