After Shooting, Police Distrust Widens in Brooklyn Neighborhood

Started by garbon, March 13, 2013, 09:19:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on March 15, 2013, 02:02:19 PM
That is some fine reporting right there.

"In other news, yesterday we reported that something happened, but of course all we actually reported yesterday is what someone TOLD US happened, while today we are reporting that what they said happened actually happened."

Journalistic integrity? No such thing here.

Well it is a blog reporting on what the Post said. :D

Also, I think you stated that a little oddly with your use of pronouns. What happened is the New York Post reported what an anonymous source said could happen as a result of researching victims. Then the blog updated their story once NYPD responded and informed said what the source said could be told happened (namely that most victims who are searched and have open warrants must then be arrested), doesn't typically happen (as they have discretion).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

So you posted a blog entry to the thread as if it was a actual story?

I am pretty blase about what people post, but a blog entry? Who fucking cares? It is just some guy with an internet connection and an agenda - if you want to post just pure opinion, why not post your own?

I am interested in what you think, but completely uninterested in what some random nobody thinks - I knew before you posted it that there was surely someone out their in a city of 10 million people who thinks cops are all racist pigs blahblahblah. Why bother posting that here?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on March 15, 2013, 02:23:22 PM
So you posted a blog entry to the thread as if it was a actual story?

I am pretty blase about what people post, but a blog entry? Who fucking cares? It is just some guy with an internet connection and an agenda - if you want to post just pure opinion, why not post your own?

I am interested in what you think, but completely uninterested in what some random nobody thinks - I knew before you posted it that there was surely someone out their in a city of 10 million people who thinks cops are all racist pigs blahblahblah. Why bother posting that here?

Because I read it in the blog not in the NY Post. I'm sorry if that offends the high editorial standards you have for Languish.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Oh and the gothamist isn't one person. And I've posted articles from them before.

Berkut

It has nothing to do with editorial standards, it is just that you are posting blogs in a discussion thread.

Now, if you agree with the blog, and want to post it as a stand in for having to type all that yourself, then fine - but then you should be willing to defend it as if you wrote it yourself.

If you are posting it just to let us know that there exists someone somewhere who thinks something...why? We know that before you post it, so what is the point?

There is someone out there in NYC who thinks all black people ought to be frisked with a baseball bat every time they walk out their door - so what? How does posting the idiotic ravings of some fringe dumbass advance the discussion?

It isn't news, it isn't interesting opinion, and apparently you don't even agree with enough to be willing to stand behind it in any case.

So again...why post it?

You should at least do us the favor of making it clear that this isn't an actual story, but just random bullshit you found somewhere on the internet so we can simply ignore it.

0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on March 15, 2013, 03:33:04 PM
It has nothing to do with editorial standards, it is just that you are posting blogs in a discussion thread.

Now, if you agree with the blog, and want to post it as a stand in for having to type all that yourself, then fine - but then you should be willing to defend it as if you wrote it yourself.

If you are posting it just to let us know that there exists someone somewhere who thinks something...why? We know that before you post it, so what is the point?

There is someone out there in NYC who thinks all black people ought to be frisked with a baseball bat every time they walk out their door - so what? How does posting the idiotic ravings of some fringe dumbass advance the discussion?

It isn't news, it isn't interesting opinion, and apparently you don't even agree with enough to be willing to stand behind it in any case.

So again...why post it?

You should at least do us the favor of making it clear that this isn't an actual story, but just random bullshit you found somewhere on the internet so we can simply ignore it.

Except that, Mr. Snooty, it is a real story. The gothamist typically just takes an article from a mainstream outlet and re-writes it using their own words and provides updates as the story develops. I'm not really sure how if you look at their version of the article vs. the Post's you'd think that their article is more biased against cops.

Perhaps it is the word "blog" that has you bent out of shape? I'd wager that HuffingtonPost (which I don't think anyone calls a blog at this point) is much more slanted than the typical feature on the gothamist.

garbon

Also, I provided the link to where I pulled the post from. You can certainly check out the links for yourself and decide whether or not it is a source you'd like to read articles from. I'm not going to make special disclaimers for you.

Berkut

0 rows returned

grumbler

Gotta say, g:  thegothamist sure sounds like badly-written-and-researched crap.  Not sure why you are posting it, except maybe as a troll.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on March 15, 2013, 04:41:18 PM
Gotta say, g:  thegothamist sure sounds like badly-written-and-researched crap.  Not sure why you are posting it, except maybe as a troll.

*shrugs*

Did you read The Post article? I've now and I gotta say that I don't see much difference between what The Post had and what the Gothamist had - other than the gothamist included an update with a comment from the NYPD spokesman. :unsure:

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on March 15, 2013, 04:45:19 PM
*shrugs*

Did you read The Post article? I've now and I gotta say that I don't see much difference between what The Post had and what the Gothamist had - other than the gothamist included an update with a comment from the NYPD spokesman. :unsure:
*shrugs*

I've read what you posted, including the gothamist bit that started talking about how "an officer will blow off the Constitution."  That doesn't seem like journalism to me, but if that's what you go for, by all means go for it.  Just don't expect me to regard you and your opinions with any seriousness at all.  :huh:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

garbon

Oh and you disliked the 2nd posting not the first. Got it now. :D

For the record, I'd disagree with that characterization as well though I'm not on the Languish squad of being excited by stop and frisk.

Also, in the first article, I actually found it odd that the police would vacate (presumably minor) charges when it was a domestic abuse victim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on March 15, 2013, 09:24:40 PM
Also, in the first article, I actually found it odd that the police would vacate (presumably minor) charges when it was a domestic abuse victim.

Happens every day all across America.