Would you consider your spouse getting fat a good reason for divorce?

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 13, 2013, 03:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assuming he/she wasn't fat when you married.

Yes
30 (60%)
No
13 (26%)
I'll have a Jumbo Jack with extra ketchup, large fries and a Diet Coke
7 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Caliga

Yeah, I don't think telling her the truth would have helped, either.  Jab's ex was (is?) clearly mentally ill. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

stjaba

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 19, 2013, 07:42:24 PM
You shouldn't have lied. It's more respectful just to be honest.

Was stuck between a rock and a hard place. If I told the truth, I risked crying spells and tantrums, additional cutting, additional overdoses, etc. Lying delayed those things.

Obviously, would have been better off telling the truth, but it was much easier to lie.

HVC

Why did you stay with her so long if she had all these, lets call them mental flaws?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Berkut

Quote from: merithyn on March 19, 2013, 03:27:10 PM
Berk, you can definitely tell what causes sleep apnea. It's part of the tests they run.

No, you can't. I know, I had the tests, and I had sleep apnea. They tests just tell you whether you have it, and how much actual sleep you are getting. They cannot tell you what causes it, or whether it will go away if you lose weight, although it is rather likely. It did in my case.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

stjaba

Quote from: HVC on March 19, 2013, 07:50:13 PM
Why did you stay with her so long if she had all these, lets call them mental flaws?

Good question. There's no good answer. Of course, I am focusing on all the negatives. It got worse over time. The relationship wasn't hell 24/7.

Additionally, there was a guilt element to it. I thought she couldn't fend for herself, or that she would off herself if we broke up.

We lived together and that made it a harder to break up.

derspiess

You guys oughtta see how Argentine men utilize abject cruelty to keep their wives thin.  Or at least Meri oughtta see it.

My wife actually complained to me that I wasn't tough enough on her and that I was partly responsible for her putting on some weight.  So I tried to be "firm" with her once and she cried.  Tried it again and she cried.  Quit after that.  Either I wasn't doing it right or she was too Americanized by that point.

edit: Odd thing about Argies btw is that with all their obsession with being thin, calling each other gordo/gorda is meant to be very affectionate.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Quote from: stjaba on March 19, 2013, 08:01:00 PM
Yeah, that must have been a fun day for you.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on March 19, 2013, 08:52:26 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 19, 2013, 08:48:15 AM
Quote from: merithyn on March 19, 2013, 08:41:29 AM
I'm constantly amazed at the lack of empathy for people who are overweight/obese/morbidly obese.

Empathy, yes.
Erections, not so much.

Hey, that's fair. Would that everyone at least felt the empathy.

Yeah, and I'd hope people would have enough empathy for me knowing I couldn't fuck that whale with Raz's dick.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

stjaba

Quote from: Caliga on March 19, 2013, 08:21:19 PM
Quote from: stjaba on March 19, 2013, 08:01:00 PM
Yeah, that must have been a fun day for you.

Yeah... that was awkward.

After we broke up, we still lived together for about a week. I spent all my time in the school library, as it was around exam time.

A week after we broke up, her parents came up to move her out (the semester was over). Her parents helped clean up the apartment and gave me $500 as a graduation present and basically told me it was their daughter's fault the relationship didn't work out. Her parents are working class(one parent is a roofer and the other works in a nursing home kitchen), so $500 is a lot of money for them. As much as I wanted to keep the cash, I sent it back in the mail to my ex, as she needed the money more than me.

My ex told me that her mom intercepted the $500 and donated it to a hospital.  :wacko: I should have just kept the cash.

Caliga

Well that was a strange story.  :lol:

Any post-breakup action? :perv: I only had one real girlfriend before my wife and she was in D.C. when we broke up, so no opportunity for that myself. :mad: