Would you consider your spouse getting fat a good reason for divorce?

Started by MadImmortalMan, March 13, 2013, 03:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assuming he/she wasn't fat when you married.

Yes
30 (60%)
No
13 (26%)
I'll have a Jumbo Jack with extra ketchup, large fries and a Diet Coke
7 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Berkut

Quote from: merithyn on March 19, 2013, 02:11:11 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 19, 2013, 01:31:15 PM

I am not sure why you have such a dog in this fight.  The stretch marks were not caused by quick growth in this case.  Sleep apnea is a common problem with people who are fat.  He slept with her.  Its pretty easy to tell if someone is having trouble breathing when they sleep.  not sure why you struck off depression. 

Not sure how you are defining morbidly obese here.  It is not just merely "heavier than you wanted" its really fat.

The term "morbidly obese" isn't "really fat". It's a clinical term that means, basically, that excessive fat is causing medical issues that are negatively affecting the person's life. Sleep apnea can be caused by weight, but it can also be caused by a number of other things (as I pointed out with my 6'2", 145-pound son).

What difference does that make?

Heart disease can have causes other than obesity, but it you are overweight and have a heart attack, you can be sure that your heart disease will be considered a c-morbidity condition to your weight.

Shit, there are very few medical conditions that don't have more than one possible cause.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Legbiter

Quote from: Malthus on March 19, 2013, 09:05:26 AM
I'm dieting myself - I don't find hunger all that troublesome. What I hate is that, after doing it for a couple of months, I get tired very easily.

When I switched out my diet because I was a 230 pound fattie (even at little over 6 foot I was a category 3 lardass) I never starved myself, on the contrary I ate (and still eat) 2 enormous meals a day, the sight of which has been known to scare women and small children. What I did do was ditch all the sugars, grains, legumes and the industrial vegetable oils from my diet. This basically eliminated anything that came in a box. I also signed up for Crossfit, because as luck would have it, a box had just opened up right across from where I work so I could just amble over there after work.

First meal on this "diet" was eggs and bacon ad libidum with some veggies. Dinner was steak with bearnaise sauce and a salad. So what happened was I basically switched from being a chronic sugar-burner cruising the highs and lows of my blood sugar (with cup after cup of coffee throughout the day to power through the afternoon sugarcrash coma) to being primarily a fat burner. For the first 2 weeks nothing happened weight wise and then I began to shed the blubber at a steady clip. My pants became looser and looser and after about 6 months I was comfortably fitting into clothes the same size I used back when I was 20. Went from 230 pounds down to 163, but with a dedicated lifting program I'm now at 178 pounds, although I still wear the same clothes I did when my weight stabilized. The extra weight is lean muscle mass, so no complaints.

And I did this eating a somewhat modified "Paleo" diet. At this point the weight loss is an ancillary benefit, the greatest positive effect has been on my mood, sleep and just general well-being. 

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on March 19, 2013, 02:11:11 PM
Weight is a number, not a health model. That's what frustrates me so much about all of this. Yes, it can indicate concerns, but it may not. Knowing how much a person weighs - unless it's way, way out there - just isn't enough to go on.

I don't get your frustration.  I have never heard anybody claim being overweight is a death sentence.

QuoteBecause then when people ask me how much I weigh, I won't be embarassed, despite the fact that I look damn good now.

Why can't you just lie to them?  None of their business.  Just say 'I weight 140'. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on March 19, 2013, 02:22:05 PM

What difference does that make?

Heart disease can have causes other than obesity, but it you are overweight and have a heart attack, you can be sure that your heart disease will be considered a c-morbidity condition to your weight.

Shit, there are very few medical conditions that don't have more than one possible cause.

My point is that a 5'2", 185-pound woman probably isn't morbidly obese. The "medical issues" stjaba provided do not constitute a morbidly obese person. Obese, sure. Really fat, okay, some could say that. But not morbidly obese by the clinical definition.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

Quote from: merithyn on March 19, 2013, 01:50:55 PM
(A caveat: he enjoys fresh-from-the-garden, uncooked veggies, but since we don't have a garden, that's problematic. That, and I don't care for uncooked veggies.)
:o Cooking the veggies is a great way to make them unpalatable.  I don't get the concept of cooking the vegetables at all, the crunchy sweetness you get from biting into raw vegetables is what gives them the taste.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on March 19, 2013, 02:12:23 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 19, 2013, 01:55:26 PM
Don't see why my baked salmon with a touch of maple syrup for flavour and green beans with minced garlic is so bad.

Do you feel more patriotic when you consume maple tree products?

If real maple syrup is used as a glaze on salmon it is really very good.  When I see people reacting negatively to such a thing I have to wonder whether they have ever tasted real maple syrup or whether they are basing their judgment on a lot of the crap that is sold as syrup.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 19, 2013, 02:32:42 PM
Don't see why my baked salmon with a touch of maple syrup for flavour and green beans with minced garlic is so bad.

If real maple syrup is used as a glaze on salmon it is really very good.  When I see people reacting negatively to such a thing I have to wonder whether they have ever tasted real maple syrup or whether they are basing their judgment on a lot of the crap that is sold as syrup.

Of course you often wonder a lot of pretentious things.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Legbiter on March 19, 2013, 02:29:07 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 19, 2013, 09:05:26 AM
I'm dieting myself - I don't find hunger all that troublesome. What I hate is that, after doing it for a couple of months, I get tired very easily.

When I switched out my diet because I was a 230 pound fattie (even at little over 6 foot I was a category 3 lardass) I never starved myself, on the contrary I ate (and still eat) 2 enormous meals a day, the sight of which has been known to scare women and small children. What I did do was ditch all the sugars, grains, legumes and the industrial vegetable oils from my diet. This basically eliminated anything that came in a box. I also signed up for Crossfit, because as luck would have it, a box had just opened up right across from where I work so I could just amble over there after work.

First meal on this "diet" was eggs and bacon ad libidum with some veggies. Dinner was steak with bearnaise sauce and a salad. So what happened was I basically switched from being a chronic sugar-burner cruising the highs and lows of my blood sugar (with cup after cup of coffee throughout the day to power through the afternoon sugarcrash coma) to being primarily a fat burner. For the first 2 weeks nothing happened weight wise and then I began to shed the blubber at a steady clip. My pants became looser and looser and after about 6 months I was comfortably fitting into clothes the same size I used back when I was 20. Went from 230 pounds down to 163, but with a dedicated lifting program I'm now at 178 pounds, although I still wear the same clothes I did when my weight stabilized. The extra weight is lean muscle mass, so no complaints.

And I did this eating a somewhat modified "Paleo" diet. At this point the weight loss is an ancillary benefit, the greatest positive effect has been on my mood, sleep and just general well-being.

Yeah, that metabolic change is the real deal. I used to be hypoglycemic all the time for the same reason. My stupid metabolism didn't know how to not rely primarily on sugar for current energy needs. I'd crash. Sometimes pass out even. After changing my diet and about a week of transition time, I was completely cured of that. I never get that insane urgent hunger that makes me have to eat RIGHT NOW either.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on March 19, 2013, 02:31:32 PM
(A caveat: he enjoys fresh-from-the-garden, uncooked veggies, but since we don't have a garden, that's problematic. That, and I don't care for uncooked veggies.)
:o Cooking the veggies is a great way to make them unpalatable.  I don't get the concept of cooking the vegetables at all, the crunchy sweetness you get from biting into raw vegetables is what gives them the taste.

If vegetables are cooked correctly they can still taste good (I make an awesome spinach dish where I brown some garlic then throw a couple bunches into a hot pan and then finish with lemon - its to die for) but you are correct that often people cook them incorrectly and they loose all their taste.

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on March 19, 2013, 02:35:23 PM

Of course you often wonder a lot of pretentious things.

Its not my fault if some of you have never had real things to eat.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 19, 2013, 02:36:21 PM
Quote from: DGuller on March 19, 2013, 02:31:32 PM

If vegetables are cooked correctly they can still taste good (I make an awesome spinach dish where I brown some garlic then throw a couple bunches into a hot pan and then finish with lemon - its to die for) but you are correct that often people cook them incorrectly and they loose all their taste.

I like a them lightly steamed. Green beans should still be crunchy - limp and soggy beans are gross.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Yeah maple glaze on salmon is a well-known preparation. I'm puzzled by the negative responses.  :huh:

Have the people reacting this way actually tried it?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on March 19, 2013, 02:40:00 PM

Yeah maple glaze on salmon is a well-known preparation. I'm puzzled by the negative responses.  :huh:

Garbon/ dont be a pretentious ass /Garbon

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on March 19, 2013, 02:40:00 PM

I love maple syrup I was wondering if it made you feel more Canadian.  Like if I were to feast on Bald Eagle.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Maple Syrup is pure awesomeness.  Once my wife tried it she literally threw out the "maple-flavored" syrup we had.  We still buy the cheap stuff for the kids but for me if it's not real maple syrup, why bother.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall