1.6 Billion Rounds Of Ammo For Homeland Security

Started by jimmy olsen, March 13, 2013, 02:20:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2013, 10:28:09 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 13, 2013, 10:26:13 AM
Hell, I wanna work there if they're gonna have all that free ammo to train with.

Oh so you consider tax-payer bought ammo free eh?  :angry:

Well if I don't gotta pay for it, it's free!!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

After all these years, the name 'Homeland Security' still disturbs me. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on March 13, 2013, 11:54:25 AM

Was a bad idea then & a bad one now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

I do love the hysteria and intellectual dishonesty of reports like this.

The ammo thing, for instance:  DHS plans to buy between 15 and 20 million rounds of ammunition per year, but issued a multi-year purchase order  that requires the contractor to be able to deliver 1.5 billion rounds over the undefined course of the contract, at the set price plus inflation.  It's not going into a stockpile; most of it is apparently for training.  I have no idea why Homeland Security needs so many training rounds.  B4 can probably give us a good figure on how many rounds a typical DHS or ICE or whatever agent should reasonably be expected to fire in training in a year, given that they are essentially cops like he is.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on March 13, 2013, 11:58:39 AM
Quote from: Caliga on March 13, 2013, 11:54:25 AM

Was a bad idea then & a bad one now.

On this I think we all can agree.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

I bet this 'story' will be all over Faceplant  "  OMG FEMA Death Camps .... "
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on March 13, 2013, 01:36:05 PM
I do love the hysteria and intellectual dishonesty of reports like this.

The ammo thing, for instance:  DHS plans to buy between 15 and 20 million rounds of ammunition per year, but issued a multi-year purchase order  that requires the contractor to be able to deliver 1.5 billion rounds over the undefined course of the contract, at the set price plus inflation.  It's not going into a stockpile; most of it is apparently for training.  I have no idea why Homeland Security needs so many training rounds.  B4 can probably give us a good figure on how many rounds a typical DHS or ICE or whatever agent should reasonably be expected to fire in training in a year, given that they are essentially cops like he is.
Is it common for them to issue contracts for a century's worth of ammunition?  That doesn't seem wise to me, even if ammunition hasn't substantially changed in the last 100 years and change.  If nothing else, it might be worthwhile to explore the market every generation or so.  Perhaps somebody has a brother-in-law who owns an ammunition company?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

I'd imagine you can get some pretty decent quantity pricing at 1,600,000,000x.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Syt on March 13, 2013, 09:26:33 AM
Quote from: KRonn on March 13, 2013, 08:27:03 AM
What is it that Homeland Security needs all that firepower?

Do you not want the homeland to be secure? Are you siding with the terrorists???
Well he is either with the terrorists or with the gubmint.  Its a no win situation for our KRonn.
PDH!

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on March 13, 2013, 02:19:20 PM
I'd imagine you can get some pretty decent quantity pricing at 1,600,000,000x.
Yeah, but not enough to make it worthwhile.  After all, several hundred million of those rounds will be completely wasted when they go over to phaser guns in 2160.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.