California's Prop 1A --- Impending Doom

Started by MadImmortalMan, May 12, 2009, 11:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: alfred russel on May 21, 2009, 09:45:31 AM
As well as the 95% of other taxpayers that don't ride the train.

So explain to me why that means passengers trains should be lower priority than freight trains.

My line of reasoning is basically that Breyers is going to pay CSX for corn syrup delivery even if it's late (though they may demand some sort of credit).  OTOH, if passenger commuter trains are consistently late, it's going to drive customers away and eventually drive the MBTA out of business.  Although it's government subsidized, it is (or at least when I lived there) under constant pressure to be profitable, like Amtrak, under threat of closure... and the commuter lines HAVE been shut down before (in the 1970s) due to continual operating losses.

Also, I think it's less of an issue if a load of corn syrup is late for the ice cream factory than if 5,000 people are late for work.  I know from having been to that place that they stockpile corn syrup anyways, so what gets shipped in probably ends up not even being used for a while.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Quote from: Caliga on May 21, 2009, 01:08:15 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 21, 2009, 09:45:31 AM
As well as the 95% of other taxpayers that don't ride the train.

So explain to me why that means passengers trains should be lower priority than freight trains.

My line of reasoning is basically that Breyers is going to pay CSX for corn syrup delivery even if it's late (though they may demand some sort of credit).  OTOH, if passenger commuter trains are consistently late, it's going to drive customers away and eventually drive the MBTA out of business.  Although it's government subsidized, it is (or at least when I lived there) under constant pressure to be profitable, like Amtrak, under threat of closure... and the commuter lines HAVE been shut down before (in the 1970s) due to continual operating losses.

Also, I think it's less of an issue if a load of corn syrup is late for the ice cream factory than if 5,000 people are late for work.  I know from having been to that place that they stockpile corn syrup anyways, so what gets shipped in probably ends up not even being used for a while.

It sounds as though you've had a lot of time to think on this. Maybe while you were watching the corn syrup train ramble by  one morning? :P
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Caliga

Yes, and getting VERY angry.  Me = more important than corn syrup.  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points