Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on March 12, 2013, 10:59:55 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2013, 10:19:59 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 12, 2013, 09:59:43 AM
Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2013, 09:55:49 AM
I thought it was pretty funny :)

Don't be that guy.

Wel actually you sort of embrace being that guy don't you?

Pretty much.  Why not?

The guy is kind of a douchebag, but other than that, no reason why not I guess.

:yawn:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on March 12, 2013, 10:59:55 AM
The guy is kind of a douchebag, but other than that, no reason why not I guess.

Harsh toke, dude.  I think that guy is just otnay ootay ightbray. He comes off sounding like a douchebag because he can't figure out how not to, rather than because he means to.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

grumbler

I thought http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/03/hipster-joins-army-to-be-ironic/ was the best piece I saw there (in an admittedly short look).

QuoteAs the first hipster soldier, Burns has many wondering if this indicates the presence of an ironic underground counter-counter-culture. While the emphasis has long been on individuality and obscurity, it has now become the norm for many in the younger generation. The Army with its old school conservative values and rigid conformity has long been viewed with disdain by the hipster community.

Yet the military now provides a sanctuary for those looking to buck a now mainstream counter culture.

"I joined the Army before it was cool," Private Burns said.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

Quote from: grumbler on March 12, 2013, 12:40:03 PM
I thought http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/03/hipster-joins-army-to-be-ironic/ was the best piece I saw there (in an admittedly short look).

QuoteAs the first hipster soldier, Burns has many wondering if this indicates the presence of an ironic underground counter-counter-culture. While the emphasis has long been on individuality and obscurity, it has now become the norm for many in the younger generation. The Army with its old school conservative values and rigid conformity has long been viewed with disdain by the hipster community.

Yet the military now provides a sanctuary for those looking to buck a now mainstream counter culture.

:lol:

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on March 12, 2013, 12:40:03 PM

Heh.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

11B4V

Quote"Second, we will fully expand and fund DTS administration which in itself will save DoD $100,000 over 25 years.

"Then what is leftover will go to developing the new joint service uniform."

When asked what spending cuts DoD will implement, Hagel said, "We have 9 programs that will be cut saving all departments a total of $78,430 in the first 5 years."

Spending cuts include removing horse radish from all DoD dining facilities, reducing programming of the DoD channel to only 23 hours, and eliminating DoD stickers for vehicles entering installations.

The above joking aside. I have heard that TA assistance was cut across the board throughout all the services.

PS: The bolded is true. The CNIC instruction is suppose to take effect 01 April 2013.

CountDeMoney

Duffelblog is insider humor.  It's more miss than hit from a nuance perspective, but the jokes play better with those that know than those that don't.

It's like reading an IT joke;  yeah, you may get where the gag about Linux is coming from, but it's not for you anyway.

11B4V

Berkut

Yeah, but not funny is just not funny.

And I don't mean "not funny" in a "OMG that is not a funny thing to make a joke out of" not funny, I mean not funny just plain not funny.

And when your joke is about making fun of women, or blacks, or gays, or whatever stereotype, and it is not funny, then people who like it are generally kind of douchebags - or at least come across that way.

Since if it isn't funny, all that is left is a genuine buy into the stereotype.

Offensive humor can be damn funny, but when it ISN'T even kind of funny, what is left?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 12, 2013, 01:17:03 PM
Duffelblog is insider humor.  It's more miss than hit from a nuance perspective, but the jokes play better with those that know than those that don't.

It's like reading an IT joke;  yeah, you may get where the gag about Linux is coming from, but it's not for you anyway.

I can understand that.  11b's second link certainly seemed like it might actually be funny if you were "in the know".

None of that applied to the anti-women-in-combat story though.  It was just a bunch of stereotypes about women thinly stitched together.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.