[RIP] Stompin Tom Conners has passed away

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2013, 10:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Neil on March 07, 2013, 12:00:23 PM
Is it really that hard to believe that somebody from the most closed-off of provinces has never heard a song in another language?  Do you think that North Koreans know what's topping the charts right now in Japan?

I'm sorry, do you know who Ariane Moffat is?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 07, 2013, 01:16:37 PM
It's as ubiquitous as "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" is to baseball.
Ah, this one I know.  And I'm not a fan of baseball :)

As I said, the first time I heard the song was on that show:
Power Play

Aside that, I think maybe I heard it during a Sens game, can't be sure.  Never knew the author though.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 07, 2013, 10:13:32 PM
Is it really that hard to believe that somebody from the most closed-off of provinces has never heard a song in another language?  Do you think that North Koreans know what's topping the charts right now in Japan?

He should record something his singing Mari-Mai latest hit :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

Some little-known local celebrty?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Neil on March 07, 2013, 11:39:38 PM

yes, just like Stompin Tom.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 08, 2013, 09:27:12 AM

Yes, because people in Quebec never, ever watch Canadian hockey games. It's just not done. :lol:

I mean really, you'd have to be deaf, dumb and blind never to have heard the hockey song.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on March 08, 2013, 10:38:09 AM
Quote from: viper37 on March 07, 2013, 10:16:06 PM
And I'm not a fan of baseball :)

:(

To be fair it is pretty hard to be a fan of baseball what with all that pitching and catching and men swinging their bats.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 08, 2013, 10:45:10 AM
To be fair it is pretty hard to be a fan of baseball what with all that pitching and catching and men swinging their bats.

Meh it is not baseball's fault you used its terminology.  It does make me glad the gay men who put together this slang were clearly baseball fans.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

I've no issue with baseball. Games are fun in person.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

But not really, since Stompin' Tom was a national figure.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

katmai

Who is this person and why should we care?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on March 08, 2013, 10:44:34 AM
I mean really, you'd have to be deaf, dumb and blind never to have heard the hockey song.
Ok, just name one french song that plays during a hockey game.  Because you sure are not deaf, dumb and blind, aren't you?

viper37

Quote from: katmai on March 08, 2013, 04:58:50 PM
Who is this person and why should we care?
some local folk singer, apparently, he is well known in anglo-land.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Neil on March 08, 2013, 01:56:49 PM
But not really, since Stompin' Tom was a national figure.

Now, that's where you error lies. Thinking that Quebec & Canada share national figures.