North Korea threatens nuclear first strike

Started by Syt, March 07, 2013, 06:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 11, 2013, 01:52:24 PM
SK government is reporting that no one in the North is answering their shared crisis "hotline".

Probably because the power's off on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

I was reading in our former leaders favourite newspaper, that North Koreans watchers say, in amongst all of the overblown rhetoric, in retrospect their attacks/outrages are 'clearly' signalled in advanced, so its quite likely they'll carry out something like the artillery strike on the island in 2010.

Apparently these things often happen after a new South Korean president is sworn in.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on March 11, 2013, 02:08:08 PM
I was reading in our former leaders favourite newspaper, that North Koreans watchers say, in amongst all of the overblown rhetoric, in retrospect their attacks/outrages are 'clearly' signalled in advanced, so its quite likely they'll carry out something like the artillery strike on the island in 2010.

Apparently these things often happen after a new South Korean president is sworn in.

Not that I'm spoiling to add another war to our already full plate, but I'd love to see us or the South Koreans respond to whatever the next attack is in an exaggerated manner (i.e., sink about 10 ships or carpet bomb some munitions facilities), to surprise the Norks who I'm sure are counting on a token response or none at all. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

:lol:  Their friends are dead and wrapped in blue body bags.  These birds will be eaten on Tuesday.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: derspiess on March 07, 2013, 11:11:40 AM
Quote from: mongers on March 07, 2013, 10:58:30 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 07, 2013, 06:59:25 AM
I wonder how they figured out how to mount a mineshaft full of TNT onto a delivery device.

:D

Yeah, I was going to say how do you mount a nuclear strike without either a nuke or a reliable delivery system.

They have a nuke.  And it can be reliably delivered via artillery or Scud.  So they are a nuclear threat to the South at least.

and iirc, Languish has it's Tim deployed there. That NKorean nuke can be tainted anytime

derspiess

Quick question that's been on my mind for a while:  given the length of time that the two Koreas have split, has a linguistic divide set in?  To put it another way, would a North Korean sound funny to a South Korean and vice-versa?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on March 11, 2013, 02:53:48 PM
Quick question that's been on my mind for a while:  given the length of time that the two Koreas have split, has a linguistic divide set in?  To put it another way, would a North Korean sound funny to a South Korean and vice-versa?

There were regional accents before the war, but the voice-over on the snow coffee video didn't sound odd to me.

Probably the biggest difference is in the South they have incorporated a lot of English words into every day Korean.

Barrister

Quote from: Queequeg on March 11, 2013, 01:22:25 PM
How much money/lives would it take to take out all of the artillery threatening Seoul and most of NK's key infrastructure?  It seems pretty likely the country would collapse under a sustained air campaign.

I imagine a lot of it is buried / hardened.  Not to mention there being a lot of redundant artillery pieces.

When you spend 25% of your GDP on your military you tend to have a pretty big military.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

frunk

Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2013, 03:31:49 PM

I imagine a lot of it is buried / hardened.  Not to mention there being a lot of redundant artillery pieces.

When you spend 25% of your GDP on your military you tend to have a pretty big military.

When your GDP is comparable to the lowest GDP US state and your per Capita GDP is 1/20th of that, it doesn't sound that impressive.

If South Korea spent 0.7% of GDP on their military they'd be outspending North Korea.  In fact they spend around 2.7%

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

fhdz

SK government is reporting that no one in the North is answering their shared crisis "hotline".

and the horse you rode in on

Tonitrus

Quote from: frunk on March 11, 2013, 04:36:12 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 11, 2013, 03:31:49 PM

When your GDP is comparable to the lowest GDP US state and your per Capita GDP is 1/20th of that, it doesn't sound that impressive.

If South Korea spent 0.7% of GDP on their military they'd be outspending North Korea.  In fact they spend around 2.7%

Except I am sure NK has a much lower Cost of (Defense) Living index...so to speak. :P

Razgovory

Quote from: fahdiz on March 11, 2013, 06:24:42 PM

Last time we called them on the hotline all we we got is some Korean guy wigging out.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017