Rand Paul Filibusters John Brennan, old school style

Started by jimmy olsen, March 06, 2013, 05:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on March 06, 2013, 09:06:48 PM
I'm pleasantly surprised at you people.  I expected this thread to be full of LOOOL PAUL IS A MORAN comments, based on the fact that he's a) from Kentucky, and b) is related to Ron Paul, facts which must automatically make him stupid and wrong. :hug:

I was thinking that and didn't think it worth posting. :P

Also, one of the excited posters in this thread just stated that he likes it when politicians act more Hollywood and less political. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Lord Ted Cruz is sucking the joy out of it by reading tweets :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on March 06, 2013, 06:19:48 PM
Quote from: Kleves on March 06, 2013, 06:08:28 PM
I like making people who want to filibuster actually fillibuster. I think this particular filibuster is stupid.

Well it's rather clear to me what the main objective is, to sure up support amongst the tinfoil brigade who think the American government has declared war on it's people and is preparing to ship them off to FEMA camps. 

Well count me among the tin foil brigade.  I want to see rules of engagement on the these drones in all circumstances.  That will never happen so I might as well hope we can limit their use inside our borders.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 06, 2013, 06:39:00 PM
Yeah.  10 years of drone strikes on Muslims, that's fine.  Wait, does that mean it can be used against white people?  Unconstitutional!

Heh.  I have been against the drone strikes against Muslims and you told me that made me morally...um...what was it?  Weak or something because that made me opposed to both parties.  Now that somebody is finally arguing to only go as far as limit their use domestically now I am a racist.  All those who do not support unlimited use of drones are morally bankrupt and racist I guess.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on March 06, 2013, 10:08:25 PM
Well count me among the tin foil brigade.  I want to see rules of engagement on the these drones in all circumstances.  That will never happen so I might as well hope we can limit their use inside our borders.
Why not just use the existing rules that the military has?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on March 06, 2013, 10:11:39 PM

Indeed.  And it was not like the rubber stamping was all that onerous...but Bush and Obama have been against even that.

Sheilbh

"'#standwithrand is trending worldwide' that's pretty darn cool". Jesus wept :bleeding: :weep:

Edit: 'I'm reminded of Henry V, as Shakespeare observed...' :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Scipio

I'm horribly drunk, but can Ted Cruz actually be a legit human being?  Cause he seems like it.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Scipio on March 06, 2013, 10:48:26 PM
I'm horribly drunk, but can Ted Cruz actually be a legit human being?  Cause he seems like it.

He's channeling McCarthy.  We haven't had one for a while.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on March 06, 2013, 10:11:39 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 06, 2013, 10:08:25 PM

For inside our borders?  Anyway, the question being asked is whether the administration thinks it's constitutional to use a drone to kill a non-combatant US citizen within US borders.

I'm probably naive here, but how much skin is it off the administration's back if it just answers "no"?  :unsure:

Anyway, Rubio is awkwardly quoting The Godfather and Jay-Z now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

So say a bunch of Muslim terrorists have high-jacked a plane full of Americans, and they're intending to fly it into the Pentagon.

Would it be appropriate to shoot it down? If yes, would it be acceptable to use drones to do so, if for whatever reasons that would be the safest or most expedient way to do so? And if drones are okay for that sort of action, how should the policy be worded to make that clear?

Berkut

The real question is not "Is it ok for the government to use a drone strike against a US citizen in the US"

it is

"What does the federal government possibly have to gain by answering the question in the first place?"

They aren't answering because they want to use drones to blast US citizens, they are not answering because any answer they give will be parsed and analyzed to the nth degree, and will only serve to restrict federal ability to respond.

The entire thing is stupid. Does the federal government have the power to kill US citizens on US soil, by drone or other means?

Of course they do...under very specific circumstances. Drones don't change anything, and neither does "terrorism".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on March 07, 2013, 12:29:54 AM
The real question is not "Is it ok for the government to use a drone strike against a US citizen in the US"

it is

"What does the federal government possibly have to gain by answering the question in the first place?"

They aren't answering because they want to use drones to blast US citizens, they are not answering because any answer they give will be parsed and analyzed to the nth degree, and will only serve to restrict federal ability to respond.

The entire thing is stupid. Does the federal government have the power to kill US citizens on US soil, by drone or other means?

Of course they do...under very specific circumstances. Drones don't change anything, and neither does "terrorism".

I think the question being asked is more specific than that.  And a simple answer of "yes" or "no" can't really be parsed too many ways.  I think the administration is just showing its usual lack of spine when presented with a question that is difficult to answer.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on March 07, 2013, 01:12:11 AMI think the question being asked is more specific than that.  And a simple answer of "yes" or "no" can't really be parsed too many ways.  I think the administration is just showing its usual lack of spine when presented with a question that is difficult to answer.

What's the correct answer in your opinion?