ACLU Launches Nationwide Police Militarization Investigation

Started by jimmy olsen, March 06, 2013, 05:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 06, 2013, 07:16:25 PM
I am a Kentucky Colonel.

Then why the fuck did you close the KFC right outside the base. Shameful. :mad:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on March 07, 2013, 12:03:52 PM
People hate the cops until the need one.  :lol:

I don't :unsure:

Paying attention to the impacts of unintended government incentives is not the same as hatred.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on March 07, 2013, 12:06:09 PM

I don't :unsure:

Paying attention to the impacts of unintended government incentives is not the same as hatred.

Cops are heavily armed in response to society.

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on March 07, 2013, 12:09:49 PM

Not really.  Virtually none of the weapons cops are confronted with are more than handguns.  That is just a statistical fact.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

Quote from: citizen k on March 06, 2013, 06:45:14 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 06, 2013, 05:32:16 PM
Plus, cops are too fat to join the real military so this is their only chance to wear tactical gear & shoot military grade weapons.

There's that crowd and then there are the ex-military/ex-military police crowd. This militarization thing is perfectly natural for them.

True statement. Ill add..the "type" of former military matters too.  Generally Army/Marines fit your def. of "ex-military". Even though I dislike the term.

garbon

How often to people need one vs. getting jammed up by one?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on March 07, 2013, 12:31:06 PM

They wouldnt get jammed up if they werent doing something fucked up.

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on March 07, 2013, 12:34:07 PM

False.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Strix

Quote from: Valmy on March 07, 2013, 12:11:14 PM

Not really.  Virtually none of the weapons cops are confronted with are more than handguns.  That is just a statistical fact.

And SWAT teams do not regularly patrol the city in full gear. I am not sure of your point here?!?

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

11B4V

Quote from: Strix on March 07, 2013, 12:37:30 PM

And SWAT teams do not regularly patrol the city in full gear. I am not sure of your point here?!?

Most departments are putting SWAT trained officers on regular Patrol.

Strix

Quote from: garbon on March 07, 2013, 12:36:45 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on March 07, 2013, 12:34:07 PM

False.

That's not false. It doesn't hold true for 100% of the instances but it does have merit. A majority of the shootings and stabbings in Rochester involve groups of people doing fucked up things (drug deals gone bad, screwing each others shorties, disrespect, home invasions looking for drug stashs/money, and so on). Rochester has a lot of crime but most of it involves people engaged in illicit transactions or inappropriate behaviors. 
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

11B4V

Clueless really. Why have the regular Patrol officers now generally carry a patrol rifle?..i.e. M4 etc.

Strix

Quote from: 11B4V on March 07, 2013, 12:42:01 PM

:lmfao:

Oh wait, you seem serious.

Of course the SWAT trained officers are on regular patrols. I do not know of any cities that can afford to have a SWAT team that just sits there waiting for a SWAT worthy emergency.

However, the SWAT officers do not go out in their SWAT gear nor do they engage in SWAT tactics while on patrol. They usually have it in the trunk, so they are ready if they get a call.

Rochester has SCUBA trained officers as well (we get a lot of people dying/falling into the Genesee River...remember that if you drink Genny beer of any type) and they don't patrol in their masks, flippers, and tanks either...

11B4V

Quote from: Strix on March 07, 2013, 12:46:17 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on March 07, 2013, 12:42:01 PM

Oh wait, you seem serious.

Of course the SWAT trained officers are on regular patrols. I do not know of any cities that can afford to have a SWAT team that just sits there waiting for a SWAT worthy emergency.

However, the SWAT officers do not go out in their SWAT gear nor do they engage in SWAT tactics while on patrol. They usually have it in the trunk, so they are ready if they get a call.

Rochester has SCUBA trained officers as well (we get a lot of people dying/falling into the Genesee River...remember that if you drink Genny beer of any type) and they don't patrol in their masks, flippers, and tanks either...

Are you that obtuse. :lol: Really.