Austrian tourist brochure advises Arabs not to haggle or eat on the floor

Started by Syt, June 23, 2014, 04:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on June 24, 2014, 12:40:02 PM
Brazillians don't like or use any heat in their food.
I don't necessarily agree with this, as I have had spicy feijoada.

It's possible that Brazilians in the US have taken to spicy food though, I guess, as I've never been to Brazil and don't know for sure Brazilian restaurants in the US are the same as Brazilian restaurants in Brazil.... but I've been to Brazilian restaurants that cater mainly to Brazilians so I'm guessing they're basically the same.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on June 24, 2014, 12:45:50 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 24, 2014, 12:40:02 PM
Brazillians don't like or use any heat in their food.

It's possible that Brazilians in the US have taken to spicy food though, I guess, as I've never been to Brazil and don't know for sure Brazilian restaurants in the US are the same as Brazilian restaurants in Brazil.... but I've been to Brazilian restaurants that cater mainly to Brazilians so I'm guessing they're basically the same.

All I know is that when I went to Brazil the food was not spicy at all, and when asked my brother's in-laws said that Brazillians don't like spicy food.

Now it's a big, big country so maybe somewhere in Brazil they like spicy food, but not in Bahia.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on June 24, 2014, 12:45:50 PM

I have as well, but I suspect the restaurant "Mexicanized" their food a bit for more mass appeal.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on June 24, 2014, 01:08:07 PM
Now it's a big, big country so maybe somewhere in Brazil they like spicy food, but not in Bahia.
Ok, if I remember my Brazilian geography correctly the Brazilians in Massachusetts mostly came from pretty much the opposite side of Brazil from Bahia.  They were all from two places named Rio Grande do Sul and something like "Governador Valadares".  I believe they're both in far southern Brazil near Uruguay.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on June 24, 2014, 01:41:05 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 24, 2014, 01:08:07 PM
Ok, if I remember my Brazilian geography correctly the Brazilians in Massachusetts mostly came from pretty much the opposite side of Brazil from Bahia.  They were all from two places named Rio Grande do Sul and something like "Governador Valadares".  I believe they're both in far southern Brazil near Uruguay.

The weird thing about Bahian food is it looks like it would be spicy - they make a lot of dishes using palm oil which gives it a deep red colour.  But it's not spicy at all.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

I think the feijoada thing might be the exception to the rule.  I was thinking back to Brazilian buffets I'd eaten at and pretty much nothing on them was spicy at all.  I was constantly adding hot sauce to stuff.  Everything was delicious, just not spicy enough for me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on June 24, 2014, 08:54:44 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 24, 2014, 01:52:07 AM
It's really not that common.

But it is there right?  I mean when I was in France I had to eat the most notorious stuff they eat.  Frogs, snails, rabbits, goose livers, and so forth.  Because I went all the way here I might as well.  Actually they were all fantastic :frog:
Yeah, but compared to Samgyupsal and Galbi restaurants they're rare.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point