And we're back!

Main Menu

100 million sharks for stupid Asian bullshit

Started by CountDeMoney, March 02, 2013, 09:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on March 03, 2013, 08:47:09 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 03, 2013, 12:21:54 AM
The ocean's a big fucking place, I doubt we could hunt sharks to extinction even if that was the goal.
It's doable.  The power of mankind to kill is unmatched on the Earth.

Some  would learn to avoid the surface and the coast, so we'd never find them all.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Sharks don't learn very well.  They're fish.  They're no smarter than the bluefin tuna, and those will be gone in a few years.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Well, maybe "learn" isn't the right word, but I think they'd develop an instinct to avoid the surface/shallow water areas. Probably some sharks already have this.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 04, 2013, 12:31:07 AM
Well, maybe "learn" isn't the right word, but I think they'd develop an instinct to avoid the surface/shallow water areas. Probably some sharks already have this.

And how quickly, exactly, are they supposed to learn this, what with their food sources found at the surface?

dps

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 04, 2013, 07:46:32 AM

And how quickly, exactly, are they supposed to learn this, what with their food sources found at the surface?

Well, you know what they say--1000 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean is a good start.

Caliga

Aren't there some species of shark that already avoid the coastal areas and live exclusively in the open ocean?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

Have any maritime species actually been hunted to extinction by man? I know there's lots that are claimed to be threatened, but that could just mean they're no longer hanging out in the places we're looking.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 05, 2013, 11:20:46 AM
Have any maritime species actually been hunted to extinction by man? I know there's lots that are claimed to be threatened, but that could just mean they're no longer hanging out in the places we're looking.

Even the most rudimentary google search will give you a wealth of information on the confirmed extinctions and also the wave of feared extinctions that scientists are predicting.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

frunk

Extinct North American Animals

Fish:

QuoteAlberca silverside
Longjaw cisco
Deepwater cisco
Lake Ontario kiyi
Blackfin cisco
Yellowfin cutthroat trout
Alvord cutthroat trout
Silver trout