Denmarks new immigrants!

Started by Octavian, February 26, 2013, 04:06:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Octavian

http://cphpost.dk/national/farmers-afraid-big-bad-wolf

QuoteFarmers afraid of the big bad wolf

Anna Ackerman
February 26, 2013 - 12:09
Recent sightings of wolves in Jutland have Danish farmers worried about the safety of their livestock and now an attack has confirmed growing concern

Six of the fourteen injured animals on Joensen's farm had to be killed (Photo: Scanpix)
On Monday, Sven Joensen, a farmer from Harrild Held in mid-Jutland awoke to find that eight of his 330 sheep were missing. He immediately suspected a wolf, as just days earlier, a wolf was photographed three kilometres away.

"I was outside with the flock in the middle of the day on Sunday, and there were no problems," Joensen told Berlingske newspaper. "But when I returned on Monday at 10am to feed them, it was a different story. The sheep always used to run down to my feed wagon, but this time, they stood still. I saw the dead sheep in front of me and then looked around to find that in total, two of my sheep were killed. Several others were lying injured while the rest of the flock just stood still."

Six out of 14 injured animals had to be killed. The sheep had bite marks all over their bodies, and a farmer from Holstebro confirmed Joensen's suspicion that it was a wolf.

"My colleague is of Swedish origin, and he knows what a wolf attack looks like. He says it is typical for many sheep in the flock to be attacked," Joensen said.

The case has been reported to the police, and Joensen has contacted state game rangers to clarify the cause of death. Although farmers have to pay a deductible for insurance for animal attacks, Joensen stresses that he is not opposed to wolves returning to the Danish countryside. But he hopes that there will be greater awareness about the effects of their return.

"If it turns out to be a wolf, I would like it if we discussed the consequences of their return," he said. "There are, of course, consequences."

Wolves were eradicated from Denmark at the beginning of the 1800s. Prior to recent sightings, the last recorded wolf was shot just south of Skive in 1813. Now, some 200 years later, they are returning. Experts believe that the wolves are coming to Denmark from Germany, where the wolf population has been increasing over the past ten years. Mogens Trolle, a zoologist at the Natural History Museum, told Ekstra Bladet that while single wolves may be returning, it will be a long time before Denmark will have its first wolf pack.

The attack took place a few kilometers from where a photo trap took a picture of this magnificent bastard:

:ph34r:

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

Deport all the Jutes to Greenland and have them mine precious metals, then re-forest Jutland and let the wolves roam.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

Kinda cool in a way to see animals reappear where they've been extinct for a while.  If I were that farmer though I'd shoot the wolf on sight.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Liep

They're expecting about 100 wolves total in Jutland over the next years. Farmers complaining about wolves will be a nice chance of pace from them complaining about lack of rain or too much rain.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Richard Hakluyt

If the urbanites think that it is cool to have wolves (which it probably is) then the farmers should be compensated for not killing them.

Barrister

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 26, 2013, 04:53:20 PM
If the urbanites think that it is cool to have wolves (which it probably is) then the farmers should be compensated for not killing them.

Isn't the way it works is that ranchers are compensated for any animals killed by wolves? :unsure:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

It already sparked a furious debate on various sites. Words like "goddamn romanticists" and "anthropocentric bastards" are flying through the air. We need pictures of scantily clad Wozniacki to calm the masses!

Octavian

Quote from: Liep on February 26, 2013, 04:24:57 PM
Deport all the Jutes to Greenland and have them mine precious metals, then re-forest Jutland and let the wolves roam.

Copenhagen will be an unsafe place with half it's police force removed.
If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Ed Anger

I would have shot the damn thing.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 26, 2013, 06:54:27 PM
I would have shot the damn thing.

I hope a wolf eats your wife's lap dog.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

I'm shocked that CDM would wish harm on an innocent animal like that.  :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Octavian

A half eaten sheep was found this morning by the same farmer  :ph34r:

- Eyal Yanilov.

- Bruce Lee