Will the Government shut down on the 27th of March?

Started by jimmy olsen, February 24, 2013, 05:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

Quote from: sbr on March 24, 2013, 07:57:25 PM
So this could have ended years ago if fahdiz had got off his ass and logged in here once or twice? :mad:

The whole forum would have been gone years ago if Fahdiz had his way.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ideologue

Quote from: fahdiz on March 06, 2013, 02:17:06 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 06, 2013, 08:30:13 AM
Quote from: fahdiz on March 05, 2013, 10:59:47 PM
I'm sorry to hear it wasn't resolved.

:lol:

I swear, this place is like a perpetual motion machine where the fuel is people who will argue the same position for years without considering another position.

I changed my views on abortion.  This may have been before your time--I don't think so, but it was a while back.  I was once a stout pro-life advocate, and pretty much the only pro-life atheist I've ever heard of.  Not so much now.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Phillip V

Senate Barbers Get Trimmed

The Senate's Hair Care Services Unit will soon be privatized as part of budgetary belt tightening. :(

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/28/us/politics/senate-barbers-get-trimmed-in-latest-budget-cuts.html
Quote"It's time," said Senator John McCain of Arizona, a longtime patron who, like many others in the Capitol, said he recognized the infeasibility of government-subsidized haircuts for senators and their staff.

"In fact, I was talking to some of my friends there the other day," Mr. McCain added, his thinning head of white hair looking freshly shorn, "and they said they recognized too that the time has come."

merithyn

Quote from: Phillip V on March 28, 2013, 08:17:11 AM
Senate Barbers Get Trimmed

The Senate's Hair Care Services Unit will soon be privatized as part of budgetary belt tightening. :(

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/28/us/politics/senate-barbers-get-trimmed-in-latest-budget-cuts.html
Quote"It's time," said Senator John McCain of Arizona, a longtime patron who, like many others in the Capitol, said he recognized the infeasibility of government-subsidized haircuts for senators and their staff.

"In fact, I was talking to some of my friends there the other day," Mr. McCain added, his thinning head of white hair looking freshly shorn, "and they said they recognized too that the time has come."

:mellow:

It's shit like that really makes me think that our government is fucking stupid. We've had budget woes for how long now, and they're JUST considering getting rid of the barber shop? Seriously?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

You've got to be kidding Meri.  We have a trillion dollar defict (which, incidentally, you were arguing strongly against reducing too aggressively not too long ago); ending subsidized hair cuts is going to do diddly squat.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2013, 08:39:15 AM
You've got to be kidding Meri.  We have a trillion dollar defict (which, incidentally, you were arguing strongly against reducing too aggressively not too long ago); ending subsidized hair cuts is going to do diddly squat.

This is one example of silly "perks" that aren't necessary, that cost us money, and should have been cut a long time ago. Yes, I know that it's a small thing. However, a lot of small things add up. No, not to a trillion dollars, but it does add up. On top of that, it's a measure of the sheer wastefulness that's peppered throughout our country's budget.

On one hand it's like saying, "I have to lose 300 pounds, so I'll get a hair cut." On the other hand, it's like saying, "I'm massive and look awful, so I'll at least get my hair cut to look a little better while I'm working on losing the weight."

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on March 28, 2013, 09:04:07 AM
On one hand it's like saying, "I have to lose 300 pounds, so I'll get a hair cut." On the other hand, it's like saying, "I'm massive and look awful, so I'll at least get my hair cut to look a little better while I'm working on losing the weight."

Well it if helps your self-esteem it's totally a good idea!!!!  #fatacceptance
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2013, 09:12:36 AM
Quote from: merithyn on March 28, 2013, 09:04:07 AM
However, a lot of small things add up.

No they don't.

EVERY LITTLE BIT COUNTS. 

Anyway in this day & age, even symbolic cuts are nice to see.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

merithyn

Admiral Yi

The problem with gestures like this is it gives people the impression that progress is being made.

"I may have $30,000 on my credit card, but I saved 50 cents on toilet paper with a coupon!"

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 28, 2013, 09:21:51 AM
The problem with gestures like this is it gives people the impression that progress is being made.

Maybe, maybe not.  A certain number of people don't care at all.  For those who do, I'm not sure this will totally put them at ease.