Main Menu

Clean coal?

Started by KRonn, February 20, 2013, 04:32:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 21, 2013, 05:24:38 AM
Coal is dead in this country
:rolleyes:

Also, I'm pretty sure Virginia wouldn't want West Virginia back.  Yay, shitloads of welfare trash to support!
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on February 21, 2013, 09:45:20 AM

Also, I'm pretty sure Virginia wouldn't want West Virginia back.  Yay, shitloads of welfare trash to support!

They'd rather have them then the affluent northerners who have migrated into the Washington Metro area.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Coal is dead in this country, shut down West Virginia and cede it back to the Old Dominion. Make Puerto Rico a state to keep the number at 50.

Thanks, Phil.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Maximus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 21, 2013, 03:21:48 PM
Coal is dead in this country, shut down West Virginia and cede it back to the Old Dominion. Make Puerto Rico a state to keep the number at 50.

Thanks, Phil.
Phil would have posted an uninformative picture.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

It would make more sense to merge the Dakotas...or RI and Connecticut.  Hell, lump both of those into Massachusetts and split California in two, or make Guam a state as well.

Tack on the US Virgin Islands to PR while we're at it.

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 21, 2013, 05:17:53 PM

Cheap natural gas is killing it.

As demand for Natural gas increases so will price, and as demand for coal decreases so will price.  So, no coal won't be going anywhere soon.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on February 21, 2013, 06:12:38 PM

As demand for Natural gas increases so will price, and as demand for coal decreases so will price.  So, no coal won't be going anywhere soon.

You have no idea how much shale gas there is out there; at least an order of magnitude, possibly more, than there is coal. The price of natural gas has fallen so much that it is just above production cost. Shale gas is a direct reason why a couple of large gas projects in the arctic (producing more expensive gas) were cancelled and later the collapse in the gas price is the reason that larger international oil and gas companies have scrapped their plans not only for shale gas but also conventional natural gas projects in the us.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Scipio

Clean coal my Yankee ass.

Besides, we're about to get buttfucked by a new lignite-burning coal power plant in Kemper County, MS, which will add a whopping 18.7% price increase to all MS Power customers, based on dubious technology.  I'm seriously thinking about going off the grid, since this means an annual increase of roughly $300 in my electrical bill, forever, starting this year.

http://www.biggerpieforum.org/blog/kemper-natural-gas-price-comparisons

Fuckers.

We're buying a natural gas range for the house, and seriously considering installing a natural gas clothes dryer.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

derspiess

Quote from: Scipio on February 25, 2013, 02:23:00 PM
We're buying a natural gas range for the house, and seriously considering installing a natural gas clothes dryer.

Stick it to the man!
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on February 21, 2013, 06:42:45 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 21, 2013, 06:12:38 PM

You have no idea how much shale gas there is out there; at least an order of magnitude, possibly more, than there is coal. The price of natural gas has fallen so much that it is just above production cost. Shale gas is a direct reason why a couple of large gas projects in the arctic (producing more expensive gas) were cancelled and later the collapse in the gas price is the reason that larger international oil and gas companies have scrapped their plans not only for shale gas but also conventional natural gas projects in the us.

Actually I didn't.  This is your area of expertise, what will happen to the coal market?

Neil

Quote from: Scipio on February 25, 2013, 02:23:00 PM
Clean coal my Yankee ass.

Besides, we're about to get buttfucked by a new lignite-burning coal power plant in Kemper County, MS, which will add a whopping 18.7% price increase to all MS Power customers, based on dubious technology.  I'm seriously thinking about going off the grid, since this means an annual increase of roughly $300 in my electrical bill, forever, starting this year.

http://www.biggerpieforum.org/blog/kemper-natural-gas-price-comparisons

Fuckers.

Yeah, but isn't that probably just corruption in your government?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on February 25, 2013, 04:37:48 PM

Actually I didn't.  This is your area of expertise, what will happen to the coal market?

Economically what is happening in the US natural gas market should be on the level of the fantasy "somebody invents a car that runs on water". Political interference aside... Coal power plants should operate until their planned decomissioning date at which point they will either shut down or get upgraded to gas burning, that is unless the environmental movement manages to tamper with this process and keep them burning coal.

Coal mining in europe is only kept alive with subsidies and the problematic politics of russia and algeria. The EU's primary objective in gas policy is diversity of supply so that it won't be at the mercy of russian caprice or algerian psychopathic murdering religious nutjobs. This is why most of the norwegian contracts are usually well over the price paid to gazprom or algeria, it's good to be stable and reliable. Thatcher was able to take on the miners unions in part because britain was switching over from coal to gas. This is one of the reasons why the UK is the (nontrivial) european country that is closest to meeting it's kyoto commitments. 

Coal is a political hot potato. So I'm not going to predict what will happen. But, if Mark Ruffalo teams up with Mike Duncan (former RNC chair and coal industry lobbyist) they might just manage to keep US power generation expensive, polluting and unreliable.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

I think we can count on the Republicans to back the most perverse and least helpful option.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

I will take Vikings word for it. :)