News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Top 10 Most Stressful Jobs - 2013

Started by garbon, February 20, 2013, 09:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

According to Lee Hecht Harrison. Was numbered 1-10 but formatting didn't copy over.

QuoteEnlisted Military Personnel (median salary: $41,988): The military offers great opportunities, but it comes with the danger of losing your life. Our soldiers are counted on to protect us at home and abroad - not only in wars but also natural disasters. Think Hurricane Sandy.

Military General (median salary: $196,300): While dictating tactical strategy in combat, the general is directly responsible for the safety of his subordinates who trust and rely on him. Now that's stressful.

Firefighter (median salary ($45,250): Saving lives is an admirable vocation, but the danger is high with 77 on-duty fatalities last year. The long shifts of up to 48 hours also are something to consider.

Commercial Airline Pilot (median salary: $92,060): The pilot is in control of a barrage of instruments as well as the lives of a plane load of people. Perhaps you want to be the one in charge who takes the fear out of flying for so many people.

Public Relations Executive (median salary: $57,550): You have to think quickly on your feet for this one. Things can go wrong in an instant as the public watches, and you have to have the answers.

Senior Corporate Executive (median salary: $101,250): The high-powered corporate exec faces extra challenges in today's tough economic climate.

Photojournalist (median salary: $29,130): These intrepid workers seek out natural disasters and danger armed with nothing but a camera with a long lens.

Newspaper Reporter (median salary: $36,000): These jobs are quickly disappearing with online technologies. The few that remain still face the pressures of tough deadlines and a dying profession.

Taxi Driver (median salary: $22,440): Low pay, bad hours and highly susceptible to robbery. It's stressful, but you still maybe want to be in the driver's seat.

Police Officer (median salary: $55,010): With the badge and gun comes the responsibility for the safety of yourself and everyone around you.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

I don't buy firefighter as a stressful job at all.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on February 20, 2013, 10:03:24 AM
Agree.  Princesca's cousin is a firefighter at Blue Grass Army Depot.  If something happened--which it never does--it might be stressful, but basically he gets paid to work out all day.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

mongers

Public Relations Executive (median salary: $57,550): You have to think quickly on your feet for this one. Things can go wrong in an instant as the public watches, and you have to have the answers.

:lol:

Though I guess being paid to lie can be quite stressful.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

merithyn

I would guess that it depends on where you live and the expectations of the job.

Here, firefighters are almost all paramedics, too, and are usually the first people on scene for a medical emergency as well as for a fire. They rarely get a full night's sleep, so while they're on 48 hours, they don't usually get more than 3-4 hours of sleep at a time. And we're a smallish community of 160,000 (200,000 with the students). I imagine in a larger city, it would be quite stressful.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Phillip V

Funny general. Allen just decided to retire rather than try to get the NATO command after revealing that he exchanged thousands of flirtatious messages with a Tampa socialite. Mad partying. So stressful.

Enlisted military: meh. Perhaps very stressful if you are combat arms type and deploy a lot to shitty places. Otherwise, most stress is because you are a pussy or piece of shit.

Firefighter: maybe stressful if you work in a high-incident area, but many town and city firefighters have lucrative and protected salaries/benefits/pensions artificially boosted by "overtime" and other tricks; early retirement and then start building another pension with another city or state job.

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on February 20, 2013, 10:31:56 AM

I would guess that it depends on where you live and the expectations of the job.

Here, firefighters are almost all paramedics, too, and are usually the first people on scene for a medical emergency as well as for a fire. They rarely get a full night's sleep, so while they're on 48 hours, they don't usually get more than 3-4 hours of sleep at a time. And we're a smallish community of 160,000 (200,000 with the students). I imagine in a larger city, it would be quite stressful.

Here, firefighters are trained first aid responders (not paramedics).  They do get called out to any call for ambulance in their shiny red rigs, but then they mostly stand around while the actual paramedics do their thing.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on February 20, 2013, 10:35:52 AM
Quote from: merithyn on February 20, 2013, 10:31:56 AM

Here, firefighters are trained first aid responders (not paramedics).  They do get called out to any call for ambulance in their shiny red rigs, but then they mostly stand around while the actual paramedics do their thing.

:hmm:

Berkut

Quote from: Phillip V on February 20, 2013, 10:33:27 AM
Funny general. Allen just decided to retire rather than try to get the NATO command after revealing that he exchanged thousands of flirtatious messages with a Tampa socialite. Mad partying. So stressful.

Enlisted military: meh. Perhaps very stressful if you are combat arms type and deploy a lot to shitty places. Otherwise, most stress is because you are a pussy or piece of shit.

Actually, I would guess that any military personnel is very high stress, mostly due to being away from their families for extended periods of time on a very regular basis.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on February 20, 2013, 10:40:33 AM

Actually, I would guess that any military personnel is very high stress, mostly due to being away from their families for extended periods of time on a very regular basis.

:yes:

And even if their immediate families come with them, their extended family is usually nowhere around, making it tough for the whole family, which of course makes it more difficult yet for the enlisted person.

Ed Anger

Being a gay polish lawyer is supposedly stressful, hiding in that tiny closet.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 20, 2013, 10:47:04 AM
Being a gay polish lawyer is supposedly stressful, hiding in that tiny closet.

Marti can't fit in a tiny closet. :rolleyes:

Darth Wagtaros

Being a firefighter in Detroit is probably pretty stressful.
PDH!