News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

EU and US free-trade talks launched

Started by Zanza, February 13, 2013, 12:55:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 25, 2013, 12:17:41 PMYeah, people that cant tell the difference between organic (or at least grass fed) beef and industrial beef have lost the ability to taste food.

Same goes with organic (or at least free range) eggs.

Maybe if you eat the yolks, my normal egg intake is part of my rigorous fitness-based eating plan as a protein source and for various reasons that means I only eat the whites. I've bought organic eggs and separated the whites out, the whites or both types just lack the flavor requisite for it to matter. So I buy the cartons of regular egg whites personally.

Viking

Quote from: Iormlund on February 21, 2013, 08:42:27 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 20, 2013, 09:03:15 PM
They probably beat most European countries.  For instance Arkansas beats France in GDP per capita.  Britain is around there as well.

Remember though that there are no transfers within the EU except for farm subsidies and limited development funds. No EU military bases, or Medicare, or unemployment, and so on.

http://www.eu-oplysningen.dk/euo_en/spsv/all/79/

In the ten years between 2000 and 2010 spain recieved annually in net transfers from the EU between 1.2 Billion and 8.9 Billion euros from the EU. Angela wants her money back. But then again, since you guys were managing a 120 billion euro deficit on a 1 trillion euro economy it probably did feel like a drop in the bucket.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 25, 2013, 07:45:29 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 25, 2013, 12:17:41 PMYeah, people that cant tell the difference between organic (or at least grass fed) beef and industrial beef have lost the ability to taste food.

Same goes with organic (or at least free range) eggs.

Maybe if you eat the yolks, my normal egg intake is part of my rigorous fitness-based eating plan as a protein source and for various reasons that means I only eat the whites. I've bought organic eggs and separated the whites out, the whites or both types just lack the flavor requisite for it to matter. So I buy the cartons of regular egg whites personally.

Meh, the whites are not where taste is.  If you are going to separate out the whites yeah you are probably just as well off eating crap eggs.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Tamas

Quote from: Neil on February 25, 2013, 05:41:18 PM
Quote from: Tamas on February 25, 2013, 02:41:33 PM
Quote from: Neil on February 25, 2013, 02:16:05 PM
Quote from: Tamas on February 25, 2013, 10:42:21 AM
saying that organic and open herding or whatever > modern agriculture means the endorsement of famine, or at least less population than what we have now and what we could feed.
Except nobody is starving due to lack of food production.  Distribution is the issue.
You too, Brutus? the "distribution issue" is that we are willing to pay more for excess food than what 3rd worlders are able to pay. They should get their acts together and gain enough stability for at least semi-modern agriculture and everything would be fine.
So you agree with me that your talk about 'endorsing famine' is nonsense?

everybody, who advocates that organic farming and free range should expand against modern farming, is not only a goddamn luddite, but also endorses famine, considering current population levels.

Richard Hakluyt

By the same reasoning anyone who eats meat is endorsing famine  :hmm:

I find that bacon is one of the products most worth careful choice btw. Some of the lower quality bacon on sale is simply disgraceful.

Eddie Teach

Many vegetarians must die so we meat eaters can live.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on February 26, 2013, 02:32:58 AM
everybody, who advocates that organic farming and free range should expand against modern farming, is not only a goddamn luddite, but also endorses famine, considering current population levels.
As RH says the same argument could be used against meat. It takes considerably more land to produce smaller amounts of food than even organic farming. If famine's the only concern we should just have rice, wheat and veg.

I still don't understand why consumer choice in Europe is leading to famine anywhere else.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 26, 2013, 08:25:07 AM
As RH says the same argument could be used against meat. It takes considerably more land to produce smaller amounts of food than even organic farming. If famine's the only concern we should just have rice, wheat and veg.

I still don't understand why consumer choice in Europe is leading to famine anywhere else.

Europe is the breadbasket for the world!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

you are still not listening. I merely singled out those who feel organic farming is inherently superior and there should not be non-organic farming and non-open range livestock. THOSE people endorse famine.

Zanza

You are moving goalposts, Tamas. Your earlier posts merely talked about superiority of organic over industrial food production, not about giving up industrial farming completely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on February 26, 2013, 09:00:20 AM

you are still not listening. I merely singled out those who feel organic farming is inherently superior and there should not be non-organic farming and non-open range livestock. THOSE people endorse famine.

you are still not listening. I merely singled out those who feel they need to eat meat and meat should always be available for them to buy. THOSE people endorse famine.

derspiess

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 26, 2013, 02:44:48 AM
By the same reasoning anyone who eats meat is endorsing famine  :hmm:

I find that bacon is one of the products most worth careful choice btw. Some of the lower quality bacon on sale is simply disgraceful.

It's probably horse bacon anyway.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Free-range meat products I think have a good bit of merit.  I'm sceptical of organically grown vegetables having much advantage.

Tamas

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 26, 2013, 11:20:59 AM
Quote from: Tamas on February 26, 2013, 09:00:20 AM

you are still not listening. I merely singled out those who feel they need to eat meat and meat should always be available for them to buy. THOSE people endorse famine.

wrong. the correct comparison would have used "those who feel meat is superior and there is no need for anything else"