Obama to press for drastic cuts in US nuclear arsenal

Started by Kleves, February 11, 2013, 10:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 11, 2013, 04:36:37 PM

A nuclear war is winnable, depending on the opponents.

"I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed..."

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Zanza on February 11, 2013, 04:33:28 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 11, 2013, 04:21:29 PMYou could end a civilization, yes, but that is not the goal of a large nuclear force.  The mission of a large nuclear force is to destroy all or, if infeasible, almost all of an enemy's nuclear force.
No, that's just for idiots that think a nuclear war is winnable. For everybody else, the point of nuclear weapons is the threat of ending civilization.

What makes you think it's unwinnable?  The only war where they were used was won rather decisively.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Kleves

You know, once Obama's done with the military, it will be the first time since WWII that the US will not be able to fight two wars at once or have a credible nuclear first-strike capability.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Razgovory

Quote from: Kleves on February 11, 2013, 08:53:59 PM
You know, once Obama's done with the military, it will be the first time since WWII that the US will not be able to fight two wars at once or have a credible nuclear first-strike capability.

Then he'll move on to cutting up children and selling their organs for meat.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on February 11, 2013, 09:28:13 PM

Then he'll move on to cutting up children and selling their organs for meat.

Which will replace the horsemeat in European frozen foods.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Kleves on February 11, 2013, 08:53:59 PMYou know, once Obama's done with the military, it will be the first time since WWII that the US will not be able to fight two wars at once

We fought two wars at once for most of the last ten years.  How'd that all work out?

Quoteor have a credible nuclear first-strike capability.

:lol:  OCN.

Habbaku

:rolleyes:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Kleves

All I'm saying is, President McCain would never have allowed this to be happen... we'd also he fighting like 7 wars rights now, and Sarah Palin might be a hightbeat away from the Presidency, but that's another discussion. Nor would President Romney have done this (though he may have outsourced nuclear deterrence to China).
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

sbr

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on February 11, 2013, 07:16:31 PM
What makes you think it's unwinnable?  The only war where they were used was won rather decisively.

Was gonna say.

And even today, there are plenty of countries with insufficient nuclear deterrent to make a war unwinnable, and others whose deterrent might be compromised in a first strike. Not that I think it's advisable to test that theory.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

You can't hug someone with nuclear arms  :(

But, on the bright side, you sure can slap them around a lot.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM