News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

I watched a couple Red Orchestra 2 trailers and I want it right now. Apparently there's a closed beta going on you can get access to, though you have to pre-order the game, which doesn't come out for a week.   :hmm:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

sbr

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 02, 2011, 07:20:04 PM
I watched a couple Red Orchestra 2 trailers and I want it right now. Apparently there's an open beta going on, though you have to pre-order the game, which doesn't come out for a week.   :hmm:

I got it today on Steam and downloaded the Beta.  I haven't played yet but I am planning on playing in a couple of hours.

EDIT: The Beta was about 4 gig.

FunkMonk

Yes... I think I will do the same. I didn't play the original game much but I liked it. This one looks really good. I'm not really excited about Battlefield 3, so this is looking like it'll be my preferred shooter for a while.

CountDeMoney

I hope RO2 isn't as buggy as RO was when it first came out.  Took about 2 years to straighten that shit out.

sbr

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 02, 2011, 08:44:46 PM
Yes... I think I will do the same. I didn't play the original game much but I liked it. This one looks really good. I'm not really excited about Battlefield 3, so this is looking like it'll be my preferred shooter for a while.

I didn't play the original at all even though I bought it.  I wasn't terribly interested in on-line shooters then but they have grown on me recently with my TF2 obsession.

RO2 is a Steamworks game so you will have to activate it through Steam either way if that matters to you.

sbr

So what do you think so far?  I joined a sever you were on last night but you left just a minute or two later, I saw you play again today right as I was quitting.

FunkMonk

Quote from: sbr on September 03, 2011, 06:33:32 PM

So what do you think so far?  I joined a sever you were on last night but you left just a minute or two later, I saw you play again today right as I was quitting.

Yeah I noticed you were playing and decided to try and jump in a game with you too. :lol:

I've played it for about two hours total and I'm really enjoying it. It's sufficiently visceral and the action is pure carnage in maps like Apartments, but I think what I really like most about the game is the sound. The guns sound very powerful and violent and the death screams and animations are blood curdling. I just finished my best game yet (11 kills :P) in which I stumbled upon a German hiding in one of the rooms of the Propaganda House (so far my favorite objective to capture) and we both missed our initial shots so we attempted to bash each others skull's in. After a few moments of fumbling around trying to smash each other I lost.  :(

A little before that I was running into a room when a kraut wounded me with a passing shot. As I was blacking out I took a pot shot at him with my rifle and he died not long after I did. His horrific screams were my lullaby to heaven.  :cry:

Not long after that I found a really nice hiding spot and shot about four krauts and bludgeoned another to death before succumbing to a round from a Mauser.

This game is: awesome.

sbr

RO2 Beta update just released, biggest news is they swapped in some new maps

- Turned on Speedhack detection and added a system to allow server admins to decide what to do with a player when they are detected using a speedhack (kick, session ban, or permanent ban).
- Fixed PreStartDuration not working properly which caused the round to start prematurely after a map change.
- Fixed getting stuck with a zoomed FOV when using grenades
- Added ability to turn off anti-aliasing
- Fixed floating meshes when a player dies
- Fixed destructibles not updating their shadows when destroyed
- Fixed DOF inside tanks
- The ranked server system is now operational
- Player progression stats are now saving and loading
- Unranked servers are now showing up as unranked in the browser
- Realism modes are hooked up and functional
- Killing a tank now gives extra points based on the number of players in the tank
- New map list: Gumrak, Grain Elevator, Barracks, Red October Factory
- Team balance changes. Commanders and top scoring players no longer get team swapped on death. The role select menu will not appear immediately to make it more obvious that you have died. Also, fixed a bug where an axis soldier could spawn on the allied team or vice versa.
- Fixed some HUD icons sticking around on the screen
- Fixed Countdown ending with time still on the clock
- Fixed automatically firing your weapon sometimes when respawning
- Fixed some issues with scoring in Firefight and prevented running out of reinforcements in this game type
- F10 will now cancel a pending server connection properly when stuck on a loading screen

Oops, missed one thing:

- Fixed the Welcome Screen editor in webadmin making the welcome screen text invisible in game

Edit, we fixed a few more things while we were getting the update ready:
- Fixed weapons not firing accurately when in ironsights while using non-default ironsight zoom settings (i.e. anything less than 1.0 in the settings menu).

FunkMonk

CountDeMoney

I'll download it either tonight or sometime this week.

Look for me, I'm either JonBenetRamsey, or when I'm on servers I don't get kicked from, I'm SirCampsALot.

FunkMonk

This new patch for RO2 is not friendly to my laptop. I play maybe twenty minutes tops before I crash. Hopefully a new patch will fix this. I have a new system on the way anyway, so I should be busy defending the Motherland from fascist fanboys soon enough.

FunkMonk

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 05, 2011, 07:36:25 PM
I'll download it either tonight or sometime this week.

Look for me, I'm either JonBenetRamsey, or when I'm on servers I don't get kicked from, I'm SirCampsALot.

sbr and I played on the new Grain Elevator map on the Axis side and proceeded to get raped by Russian snipers from the multiple-story high rise building. It would be an honor to die alongside Jon Benet Ramsey.

sbr

I have been having a lot of problems too; the worst part is when I crash my screen goes black and never comes back until I power the machine off and back on.

Hey CdM, do we want to take this whole page and move it into a new RO2 thread?

Drakken

WITP: AE PBEM Highlight - Dec 13th, 1941.

Pulling a anti-Sir Robin on TheLoneGunman, who had the unluckiest Dec 7th 1941 ever as Japan (NONE of my BBs has been sunken on that day, and I still have the Prince of Wales and the Repulse). He even attempted another PH strike three days later to sink at least one, to no avail.

Sent a good chunk of my ABDA fleet to Singkawang in Borneo to intercept his transports and surface fleet after their successful landing, but didn't expect to find BBs there. Lost the USS Boise (snif) and a 1 DD in the vanguard fight, but my main surface fleet surprised the Japs (and TLG himself, it seems). I crippled his BBs in this surprise strike, and went for the kill on its transport fleet (TLG wrote to me that I murdered his transports, but I still have to watch the replay when I am back home).  But no Japanese BB loss confirmed yet.  :(

Neil would be happy: Battleships do what they are supposed to do : destroy ships. It was a good day for the Imperialists, for Queen Wilhelmina, and for the democratic world.

Who said playing the Allied in WITP is all about running away for six months? And yes, for a newb in WITP I am damn proud of myself. It's really a game that can be gut-wrenching when playing it in PBEM, but psychologically rewarding when you pull good moves. :bowler:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on September 05, 2011, 08:43:21 PM
Hey CdM, do we want to take this whole page and move it into a new RO2 thread?

Alas, my mod powers are weakened here in Berkutland.  Good job on taking the initiative.