News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

I am on Silent Hunter III, this time with the Living Silent Hunter 2015 mod, which is really gorgeous. I'm thinking of making an AAR diary of my current career.

CountDeMoney

SH III was a really good game.  They did a great job on that.

mongers

Playing 'Battle Group 2'*, a side scrolling naval shoot'em up; entertaining. 

* In the Steam sale for a buck.  :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

So I finally bought a Wii :w00t:

Got it home and......
It doesn't support hdmi, it only has an rca cable which my TV is lacking an input for . And there's no rca to scart adapter in the box.
Doh!

This being Switzerland I'll have to wait till Monday and pay 10 times the normal price for an adapter.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

My main game is still Dark Souls III. I'm 70 hours on it in total, with 34 hours on my current playthrough attempt. I think I may be like 25-33% through, but I progress slowly since I discovered co-op and PvP which I previously avoided. :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on July 02, 2017, 12:51:34 AM

Got it home and......
It doesn't support hdmi, it only has an rca cable which my TV is lacking an input for . And there's no rca to scart adapter in the box.
Doh!

This being Switzerland I'll have to wait till Monday and pay 10 times the normal price for an adapter.

Get the Wii YUV cable instead. RCA to SCART only gives you crappy composite picture anyways.
Adapter won't do much good. If your TV has a RGB start input use it, YUV is better (480p vs 480i) but not all games support it.

CountDeMoney

Josquius

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 02, 2017, 10:13:49 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 02, 2017, 12:51:34 AM

Got it home and......
Doh!

Get the Wii YUV cable instead. RCA to SCART only gives you crappy composite picture anyways.
Adapter won't do much good. If your TV has a RGB start input use it, YUV is better (480p vs 480i) but not all games support it.

I'm not sure I have that on my TV.
I have scart, rgb, hdmi, something called side AV which is a little yellow hole and apparently according to the settings available to me YPbPr though I can't find holes for that.
RGB doesn't carry sound no?
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

RGB carries sound, at least in PAL land i.e Europe with Switzerland.

Side AV is crap, composite level, not even S-Video Level which would be still below Scart RGB.

Josquius

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 02, 2017, 01:30:23 PM
RGB carries sound, at least in PAL land i.e Europe with Switzerland.

Side AV is crap, composite level, not even S-Video Level which would be still below Scart RGB.

Are you sure about that?

https://www.techspot.com/community/topics/getting-your-computer-audio-to-play-through-your-lcd-tv.138561/

Its different where there's not a pc involved?

I wonder how this kind of thing works:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/322473491350?chn=ps&dispItem=1&adgroupid=47129861247&rlsatarget=pla-329565027492&abcId=1128966&adtype=pla&merchantid=116579024&poi=&googleloc=1006886&device=c&campaignid=856325497&crdt=0

Seems weird that you'd be able to do hdmi with a device not designed for it.

I fear it might be something stupid like the vga to hdmi cable's you see around,
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

The Wii RGB Scart carries sound. Do you have a PC monitor or TV btw? The only possible issue would be for an old LCD or CRT PC monitor.
VGA is not officially compatible with the wii but I have seen cables VGA cables for the Wii too.

Drakken

War is cruel.  :cry:

Quote26.1.40.         
1734    Grid AM 26    Ship sunk! Paloma Nara (Medium Passengership), 6616 GRT/ts
Cargo: Passengers. Crew: 603. Crew lost: 452

Before that, I randomly encountered a Task Force on surface, during late daylight, of a Nelson-type Battleship with 5 Destroyers, so it was either the HMS Nelson or HMS Rodney. My periscope was acting like shit since I left the submarine tender "Gelting" in northern Spain, but since I spotted the TF before going submerged I was able to have my 1WO plot a target solution before going under. Snapped shot a 4-eel salvo into its portside; 3 hits right into the BB... but it didn't go down. :(

Then the destroyers went to savage me. I counted at least 3 trying to find me, and one with a damn ASDIC. Two broadsides of depth charges hit me: One when I was in periscope depth which raped all my con tower, and another while going deeper that bursted into floodings, disabled my Electric engines, and destroyed my Port Diesel engine. One NCO was badly wounded. Put my damage team to work in earnest and I barely managed to control the flooding while I was losing my buoyancy and sinking. I finally managed to start the pumps it when reaching 140 meters. Whew.

Fortunately, those Destroyers were ass. The lost me on their ASDIC and they lost my trace. They kept depth charging A LOT, right around the spot where I was spotted the last time, probably because of some leaked oilage. So I put myself into silent running after taking back control of the ship and escaped by a tread.

The irony, the game assigned me U-123 when I took my IXB, which was Reinhard Hardegen's. He is the last Uboat kaleun still alive, still kicking it at 104 years old. :sleep:

Josquius

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 02, 2017, 06:42:54 PM
The Wii RGB Scart carries sound. Do you have a PC monitor or TV btw? The only possible issue would be for an old LCD or CRT PC monitor.
VGA is not officially compatible with the wii but I have seen cables VGA cables for the Wii too.

Tv
I might have got confused between rgb and vga. Hmm....

Anyway. I found a scart adapter and its working mostly OK (though boo nintneod for turning off online services). I've ordered a Wii to hdmi adapter for the long term to see how it looks.

Ordered a bunch of games on amazon. So much spending.... Ordered a gamecube pad too though no games yet, gamecube ones are surprisingly expensive.
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

The Wii can only output 480p at best, so you won't gain anything compared to a YUV cable.
Even the Playstation 2 could output 480p, and in a couple of rare instances 1080i or 720p so keep your expectations low and you won't be disappointed.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive