News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I've followed what Syt has described. I've had: Xbox, PS2, PS3, PS4. I guess I'm a Sony fanboi. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I got a 360 during last generation. First console since the SNES. I liked it, and there were still reasonable exclusives at the time - e.g. Gears of War, Dead Rising, Forza, Mass Effect 1.

In hindsight the PS3 had the better catalogue, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

I've had PS1, PS2, Xbox360 - then realized I never played any of them to really make it worthwhile.

My read was that Sony kind of borked the PS3 release (overly complicated and expensive cell processor), but Microsoft did the same initially with XBone (including Kinnect).  Right now PS4 has a sizable lead in installed base and more exclusives, so I think that's the way to go.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Except for the current gen & the PS3; I have every other gaming console released in America since the SNES plus a NES.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 08, 2016, 02:37:00 PM
Except for the current gen & the PS3; I have every other gaming console released in America since the SNES plus a NES.

Even the Jaguar?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on December 09, 2016, 01:46:10 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 08, 2016, 02:37:00 PM

Even the Jaguar?

The chances are 50/50. He said he had every other console, not every console. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Sadly not, no :(

They are too expensive for something I will just display.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Got a bit frustrated with the toxicity of players in competitive Overwatch, so I gave Battlefield 1 another whirl where it's easy to ignore chat. :P Actually enjoying it much more this time. The maps and graphics are simply gorgeous, and matches can be good fun. I just wished there were more ways to customize the look of your soldiers.

Just played St. Quentin Scar (a 64 player capture map), set in and around a small village next to the German trenches. The destructable terrain is marvelous, and as the battle progressed, fog set in, creating a really claustrophobic environment. The game is nowhere near realistic, of course (yay for SMGs?), but I think it creates a decent enough WW1 atmosphere of constant death esp. on the West Front.

There'll be no new Battlefield next year, instead there'll be a new Star Wars Battlefront. EA promised that they learned from the previous debacle. I played a few rounds of SWBF yesterday and was surprised there's actually still players and that it was easy to get into games.

Still looks fantastic, still is as shallow as the grave George Lucas buried your childhood memories in.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Still playing Dragon Age Inquisition. This game is huge, so it will take a while to finish it (at least until I'm on holiday, my GF goes to visit her parents and I can play games to my heart's content)... I'm not bothering with collectibles and such, but I'm finishing every sidequest I encounter. There's actually some decently fleshed out ones. I also like the fact that combat so far is paced just right; my biggest qualm of DA2 was how big of a chore it was to fight stuff, compounded by the fact of how much fighting there was to stretch out the game. The combat in DA:I isn't going to rewrite the ARPG rulebook, mind, but it's breezy and there's the right dosage of it so it doesn't become a chore (so far).

Anyhow, I have reached the point where I have more abilities than I can fit in my meagre 8-slot UI. Really Bioware? You couldn't be bothered to tweak your console UI just a little for the PC?

crazy canuck

Played the updated anniversary edition of Titan Quest.  Man that is a great game that stands the test of time. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on December 10, 2016, 04:18:52 PM
There'll be no new Battlefield next year, instead there'll be a new Star Wars Battlefront. EA promised that they learned from the previous debacle. I played a few rounds of SWBF yesterday and was surprised there's actually still players and that it was easy to get into games.

Still looks fantastic, still is as shallow as the grave George Lucas buried your childhood memories in.

Bleh.  I just don't see why they don't reboot Battlefield back to WW2.

Ed Anger

I want to run over people waiting for airplanes to respawn again. SO SOLLY
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 13, 2016, 09:26:13 PM
I want to run over people waiting for airplanes to respawn again. SO SOLLY

No team kills on regular servers. You have to join hardcore servers that remove friend/foe ID unless you aim at someone. And apparently repeated team killing (even accidental) is a quick way to get kicked off servers.
—Stephen Jay Gould

FunkMonk

Ultra-Nightmare Arcade mode in the new Doom game might be one of the best games I've ever played. Jesus christ is it intense.

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

sbr

I am still playing a ton of Blood Bowl.  I am in 2 BB1 (PC) leagues, 2 BB2 (PC) leagues a FUMBBL league and waiting very impatiently for our Tabletop league to start up again early next year.