News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

You don't have to pay to have access to nexus mods.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Yeah, there's a free registration option buried somewhere.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I've been playing Wolfenstein: the New game.  Strangely, I'm half decent at deciphering written German.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

The German in the game is actually pretty decent - very far removed from the original Wolfenstein 3D ("Mein Leben!"). They got native speakers for the dialogues, and except for some weird expressions in the letters and newspapers (not wrong, but not really how a native speaker would phrase it) it's rather spotless. I read that the Polish girl is also voiced by a native speaker.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

PRC

Quote from: Syt on June 22, 2014, 09:44:09 AM
Quote from: Scipio on June 22, 2014, 08:01:39 AM
Blackguards. It's interesting. Difficulty curve is all over the map.

I'm holding out on it, hoping it will be a daily special during the summer sale. I like the world of The Dark Eye, and they seem to have replicated the combat system of the p&p RPG very well.

It's -66% on Steam right now for the next hour.

Syt

Quote from: PRC on June 25, 2014, 10:52:04 AM

And tomorrow. The "daily" deals are on for 48 hours (you find yesterday's at the bottom). :)

I picked it up yesterday (a day after picking up the Spiderweb RPG collection and starting Nethergate - thank you, Steam <_<).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on June 24, 2014, 11:29:47 PM
The German in the game is actually pretty decent - very far removed from the original Wolfenstein 3D ("Mein Leben!"). They got native speakers for the dialogues, and except for some weird expressions in the letters and newspapers (not wrong, but not really how a native speaker would phrase it) it's rather spotless. I read that the Polish girl is also voiced by a native speaker.

I figured out that word "wissenschaft" meant "science" just by looking at it and guessing that the "wissen" aspect was probably a cognate of "wise" and "schaft" was probably a cognate of "ship".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

ship as in, say, partnership, yes.

"schaft" as part of Wissenschaft is not derived from "schaffen" - to create (Wissenschaft = that which creates knowledge) as one might expect, but rather a indicator meaning "all that concerns" or something encompassing many things relating to an item, or "a bunch of".

Partnerschaft - partnership
Landschaft - landscape
Gemeinschaft - community
Gesellschaft - society
Herrschaft - rule (from to rule)
Kundschaft - clients
Wirtschaft - economy ... or pub
Mannschaft - team
—Stephen Jay Gould

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on June 25, 2014, 10:55:48 AM
Quote from: PRC on June 25, 2014, 10:52:04 AM

And tomorrow. The "daily" deals are on for 48 hours (you find yesterday's at the bottom). :)

I picked it up yesterday (a day after picking up the Spiderweb RPG collection and starting Nethergate - thank you, Steam <_<).

For some reason, gog.com does not have Nethergate: Resurrection though. One euro is cheap, i paid full price for the first Nethergate back in the late '90s by international money order, just before I had an international credit card.

Syt

GOG also doesn't have the Avernum remake. It's part of the collection on Steam, though.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

15 hours into Blackguards, and I think I may call it quits, to be restarted at a later point.

The game is basically just tactical fights using The Dark Eye's combat system which is relatively detailed, using combinations of character values, talents, and weapon specializations. It can be a bit confusing at first. And the die rolls can sometimes be against you.

The combats are connected by a linear story and breaks for party management. Following the advice on the forums I specialized my characters (trying to be jack of all trades early on is a quick way to create an ineffective character).

I'm stuck at the end of chapter 2. Your party has to go through a series of gladiatorial fights. It's three days with three fights each, but you have no chance to heal/rest between them. The final fight has some of my characters near dead - I can either go back to an earlier save, or try to reach the healing wells placed on the far edges of the map. The main problem is that I didn't use the last fight to heal up (keeping one enemy alive while my party used the healing wells), so I lose the start of the battle using health potions. I could probably brute force myself through it if I try often enough.

What's worse, one of your party members gets killed during that fight.

Your party members at that point are:
- you (you can choose to be mage, warrior, or hunter at the start - I went with warrior, because that's what I do)
- a melee warrior
- another melee warrior
- a mage
- an archer/ranger

And they kill your archer, not one of the two melee NPCs. Which sucks, because she was one of my main damage dealers. And you get another caster as replacement. When I go back to this I'll most likely re-roll as an archer character. <_<

On the plus side, the dialogue is (mostly) fun.
—Stephen Jay Gould

MadImmortalMan

I just went ahead and got SR1936.

I figured since I've logged 2900+ steam hours with SR2020 I'd probably get my money's worth out of it. Here goes.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Does anyone play GTAV online? I have to say that the few times I tried it, I found it rather underwhelming and wished they'd just release more offline story content. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Yes. I play with my nephews and we annoy other players.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon