News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frunk

Quote from: Zanza on May 02, 2014, 11:47:31 AM
Is the new campaign "Dragonfall" really that much better? It certainly gets better reviews.

It is better as far as being non-linear.  The overarching setup is about needing to get 50,000 Nuyen and doing a series of runs to collect that.  You have the option to not take on runs you don't want to do and on most of them you have choices in how they resolve.  There's no change as far as the combat, although there are a few interesting scenarios.

crazy canuck

I tried to like Red Dragon.  But it is frustrating when I cant really figure out why my units are dying and how I might do better next time.

I suspect a person needs to have been playing this series from the beginning to really enjoy it. 

Syt

I think FunkMonk (and Sheilbh?) are our resident experts on that game. Maybe they can give you some pointers. Also, watching a few multiplayer matches on Youtube could help.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2014, 11:12:43 AM
I tried to like Red Dragon.  But it is frustrating when I cant really figure out why my units are dying and how I might do better next time.

I suspect a person needs to have been playing this series from the beginning to really enjoy it.

I haven't played Red Dragon but I have over 100 hours in the two previous games, mainly in multiplayer. You are probably right about players who've played the previous games will have a much easier time getting into RD.

Wargame sort of pretends to be a "serious" war game but really is just a standard RTS wrapped up in cool cold warrior war gaming chrome. That said, it's probably the most "realistic" and tactically interesting RTS of the past decade, IMO.

Reconnaissance is the most important thing in Wargame. Most units die very quickly once they're spotted. Even the heaviest tanks will die to a couple high-end ATGMs. Keep several recon units on the field at all times, scattered out in front of your main force and interspersed with your units.  You can't kill what you can't see, and you can't run away from a horde of T-80Us if you don't know they're hiding in the woods on your flank.

Take some time to go over all the units in the game armory so you have an idea of how to use the units and how they fit into your strategy.

What specifically are you having trouble with?
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Iormlund

Razgovory

I played some of that demo of Diablo III.  It wasn't so bad, so I tried to play it through with a different class.  Sadly the cinematic don't work now.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 05, 2014, 03:04:34 PM
What specifically are you having trouble with?

My units getting wiped out as soon as contact was made.  I think I now know the reason  - I had no recon units out to detect what was coming before it was too late.

Thanks this should help a bunch.

Razgovory

I have the first in the series, and the game is very, very hard.  I liked it though.  Some of the scenarios seemed quite plausible.  I liked the Polish uprising scenarios.  This struck me a a very plausible.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Got shadowrun returns on steam sale.
So far seems pretty good. Though I don't understand the random summoned (?) beasts
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

I'm playing through the first part of Diablo with each class, to get a feel for each.  I'm playing the witch doctor last as he felt the least thematically appropriate.  I have no idea what they were thinking when they made this guy.  He's a hunch backed little guy who seems to have cerebral palsy and chucks vases full of spiders at people.

fhdz

See, that'd be the first guy I'd play.
and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

The weird thing is, vases full of spiders isn't some special thing he does.  It's his primary attack.  You give him a bow and he still chucks spiders at people.  I also summoned up some zombie dogs and shoot flaming bats at people.  Since I'm fighting necromantic horrors, I'm surprised that nobody thinks I'm on the other side.  I guess that's because everyone has the same dialogue no matter character you have, which is slightly strange.  When you meet the mayor of the town, his standard reply is "How dare you speak to me that way".  That makes sense for most of the characters who call him a coward and demand he moves his crap.  The witch doctor on the other hand simply asks the mayor polity if he would please move his cart so that he can can get to the other side so the mayor's canned response makes no sense.

I like playing the Wizard best cause it's like he's shooting a giant laser beam at people.

The Brain

Started the Wildstar open beta. It says I have "No characters". But there is a goat... :unsure:

The Brain

Played some Wildstar. Pretty nice, certainly much better than the horrible ESO open beta.