News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Finally picked up XCom at the Nov Steam sale.

And of course my weekly dose of Dota 2 with former workmates, which is still great fun. Though lately I actually watch more games than I play.

FunkMonk

Been playing Unity of Command: Red Turn on and off recently. It's still really good. The Op. Barbarossa DLC comes out very soon too.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Grey Fox

I've tried Lego Marvel Heroes demo on the old 360.

Man, Lego games have gone a long way since Indiana Jones and Star Wars.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 06, 2013, 11:00:07 AM

Lord of the Rings is quite good as well.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on December 06, 2013, 12:45:18 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on December 06, 2013, 11:00:07 AM

Lord of the Rings is quite good as well.

Next time either is on sale, I'll be picking them up.

Scipio

Borderlands 2.

I'm getting tired of these shitty, never-ending quests.  Mothafucka, if you give me a three-step quest, and each step has three sub-steps, FUCK YOU.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Syt

I've gotten into Terraria this weekend. I got it a while ago when it was on sale, but couldn't get into it much, because I couldn't really figure things out.

Fast forward a few months and me catching a co-op game of Starbound between Total Biscuit (who I like a lot) and Jesse Cox (who I loathe) that kinda gave a quick overview of the starting aspects of the game. I picked up Starbound and like it, but I've stopped playing because there's a patch coming soon that rebalances the whole thing and will wipe savegames in the process.

So now I pluck at Terraria. I find these games the most fun when you have only a basic understanding of them and figure out the rest for yourself. At the moment I'm holed up in my fortress of solitude, making major renovations since I realized that monsters don't spawn in your mines if you make proper brick walls everywhere. I'm pretty weak for much surface exploring, so I dig for iron in the meantime (and finding none), only venturing outside when I need wood. I have lots of clay and stone, though. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Watch out to not dig too deep. One never knows what lurks down there.

Unless you have a map that is.

garbon

Looks like with new update Starbound added a decent bit, including the smart decision to do away with letting players attack through walls. :)

One thing I hope they do is continue to build on the questing idea as it is nice to breakup freeform Terraria with some specific assigned tasks.

Also it'd be nice if some slight bit of memory got built in to towns. I slaughtered half an avian village to steal items and then when I came to take out other half, they were all nice in peaceful towards me. Might be difficult though given the amount of worlds game has to keep track of. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Korea

I want my mother fucking points!

Syt

Been playing Starbound most of the weekend (Steam says I spent 20+ hours ... I'm at 30, and had 8 hours logged before the weekend).

I've mostly been dicking around while watching Breaking Bad and learning the concepts/systems of the game - visiting various planets, mine for stuff, and generally just explore. However, I find in the first sector you seem to run out of new things to do/explore rather quickly, so I think I may finish the tier 1 questline soon so I can move on to the second sector. I'm nicking stuff that might be nice to have in my crib, though (suits of armor, paintings, and other decorative elements). I'm pretty sure I'm missing out on a shitload of blueprints, though.

I hope they'll nerf block placement at some point. It seems gamey that you can project new blocks through walls, which makes some of the dungeons/spelunking a bit gamey because you can wall in enemies and get under them and shoot them through tiny arrow slits they can't use for themselves. I also like that they add a bit of survivalism to the game (you have to eat/stay warm). However, once you grow your own food hunger is not really a problem (though later processed foods you can cook seem to give you buffs), and heat can be solved by plunking down a campfire quickly.

In my current run the starter planet was weird. To the left was a weird Incamayaztec sort of temple with a dozen creatures four times my size guarding it. Inside were loads of guards with guns I had no means to fight. Spelunking down took me through a whole thick planet layer of flesh and bone before I reached magmarock and eventually magma. :unsure:

I've freshly acquired guns from a pirate vendor on a floating sailing ship moored by anchor to a snow planet. But the guns seem weak compared to my trusty melee hammer.

I'm surprised by the randomization of planets. Sometimes you land on a desert planet and it has almost no vegetation. Next time you have weird cacti with skulls on top. Or regular cacti. Or some that look like seaweed. Another planet might have trees where the trunks have suction cups. Or look like made of metal. Or like giant rose bushes. The procedural generation appears to work pretty well for creatures, too. They're jumbled together by a plethora of parts and attack types. And while some parts will looks familiar after a while, they keep being different on each planet. In general, it seems the cuter a critter is, the more likely it is to be hostile. Birds have been nerfed a lot, but they can still be a bane if they have two strong attacks bundled together.

Some planets seem to suffer from "Genesis Syndrome", though. You travel to a desert planet, beam down and find yourself in snow (yes, I know there's ice deserts), and a screen to the left you have a Sahara type thing. The transition between biomes could be a bit smoother. And the nights just a bit shorter.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Syt

At 14 EUR I've already gotten more mileage out of it than some AAA titles.   :blush:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

I've made a vow that, excluded Civilization related products, I am not buying anything for more than 10$.

Solmyr

Started Skyrim again. With the max number of mods (plus graphics/texture improvements etc).