News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Started playing the free-to-play Tribes Ascend.

The old-school FPS PC-only gameplay is a breath of fresh air. Super-fast run speeds, death-defying hyper jumps, badass crazy laser rockets for weapons, no stupid and ill-conceived cover mechanics, no iron sights madness. It's like I'm back in 1999. My very first action in a multiplayer match led to a four-man kill streak which only ended after I ran out of ammo. Even the default secondary weapon, a mini-grenade launcher, was badass. :cool:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on March 01, 2012, 01:38:53 PM
I've been in a bit of a mood for of old games. Playing Talensoft's Gettysburg.

Ah the history geek gaming company between SSI and Paradox.  They had a sudden and bizarre implosion in 1999 that I never did understand.  Ah well Paradox came out with EU the next year and I forgot all about them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

FunkMonk

Dear god, I got drunk and played Tribes: Ascend all night. 
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

Found Arx Fatalis on Steam.  Five bucks.  Great game.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Halo 3.  Turns out I'm still way good at it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Is it better then HALO 1?  The first game started out okay.  Then it got dreadfully boring.  I kinda wondered why that game was so popular.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on March 07, 2012, 07:49:39 PM
Multiplayer.

Yeah, I played games with multi player before that.  Half-life had a fairly successful multi-player mod or two.  It also had an excellent single player.

Ideologue

I guess.  Halo games are about the only FPSes I actually like (the Unreal Tournament games are OK, MW single player rocks, but MP sucks), but then I've not played too many.  I've never actually played Half-Life, for example.
Kinemalogue

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on March 08, 2012, 02:21:24 AM
I guess.  Halo games are about the only FPSes I actually like (the Unreal Tournament games are OK, MW single player rocks, but MP sucks), but then I've not played too many.  I've never actually played Half-Life, for example.

Graphics are dated, but the game is fantastic.  First FPS that I really liked.  Before Half-life FPS games tended to be like Quake, you run around a maze and shoot monsters and try to find a key.  Kinda dull.

The only unfortunate thing is that that all the revolutionary elements of Half-life have essentially become mainstream and have thus been incorporated in to FPS for over a decade.

Half-life had some great MP by the way.  Counterstrike and Day of Defeat were both good.

fhdz

I bought Football Manager 2012 last night because it was on sale, and no way was I going to drop 30 clams for it. 12 bucks was the sweet spot.
and the horse you rode in on

sbr

I keep thinking about trying a fm game since  I really like sports management sims, but I am not really interested in soccer.

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Syt

MLB 2k11 on XBox. I wanted to buy the just released 2k12 for PC, but all the digital retailers (Amazon.com, Impulse, Steam . . .) have this game region blocked (though 2k11 is available and even on sale for me on Steam  :rolleyes: ).

I can order a disc version from 2k - $30 for the game, plus $45 for shipping. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Problem solved - I just used my sister's U.S. address on Amazon.com
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.