News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Gay Legal Rulings Thread

Started by The Minsky Moment, February 04, 2013, 11:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2015, 11:31:24 AM
Yeah crazed internet backlash needs to die down. Quite a bit of nonsense got posted on their business's yelp page (though I did like the one referencing AbFab).  Though at the same time, I don't mind a little, if done fairly politely, calling out of people with bigoted opinions when they are giving an interview to support bigoted laws. If you don't want attention, don't seek out a camera.

My understanding was that this was a bit of an ambush interview and the restaurant did not seek out the camera.  They asked the gal several questions and focused on one answer to make it sound like they wouldn't serve gays in their restaurant.  When in fact she said they serve everyone in the restaurant but did not want to cater at a gay wedding (which IMO is a non-issue itself because pizza at a gay wedding??). 

And this high school teacher/coach has been suspended for this related tweet:

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Yeah crazed internet backlash needs to die down. Quite a bit of nonsense got posted on their business's yelp page (though I did like the one referencing AbFab).  Though at the same time, I don't mind a little, if done fairly politely, calling out of people with bigoted opinions when they are giving an interview to support bigoted laws. If you don't want attention, don't seek out a camera.

Well if you are addressing those bigoted opinions with the idea of winning hearts and minds than sure. But that is not what we are talking about. But it is more about making the bad people suffer for their crimes and basking in your glorious righteousness.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on April 02, 2015, 11:26:27 AM
Going back a couple years, my friend's brother un-friended her a while back when she checked in to Chick-fil-A and would not speak to her for the better part of the year.  I guess you can't simply disagree these days.
Why would anyone check in to a Chik-Fil-A on Facebook? :hmm:

I thought the point of checking in to restaurants was to show what a badass you are for going there, so typically you're going to be checking in to expensive restaurants and stuff. :mellow:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on April 02, 2015, 11:45:22 AM

My understanding was that this was a bit of an ambush interview and the restaurant did not seek out the camera.  They asked the gal several questions and focused on one answer to make it sound like they wouldn't serve gays in their restaurant.  When in fact she said they serve everyone in the restaurant but did not want to cater at a gay wedding (which IMO is a non-issue itself because pizza at a gay wedding??). 

Gotcha.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2015, 11:47:44 AM

Well if you are addressing those bigoted opinions with the idea of winning hearts and minds than sure. But that is not what we are talking about. But it is more about making the bad people suffer for their crimes and basking in your glorious righteousness.

I think I noted that I thought it shouldn't be this way and then noted what I thought was okay. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2015, 12:01:08 PM
I think I noted that I thought it shouldn't be this way and then noted what I thought was okay. :mellow:

Fair enough.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on April 02, 2015, 11:00:24 AM
This culture war crap is getting old.  Both sides needs to chillax.

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2015/04/02/were-in-hiding-pizzeria-owner-doesnt-know-if-they-will-re-open-following-backlash-over-gay-weddings-comment/

The most appalling part of this story is that there is apparently a demand for pizza at people's weddings...

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on April 02, 2015, 11:56:18 AM
Why would anyone check in to a Chik-Fil-A on Facebook? :hmm:

She was posting pics of the kids.  Was one of the rare occasions our kids got to hang out together.  I guess technically she wasn't checking into the location, just posting the pics as being taken at that location.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Anyways, people get swept into culture war furores because it gives me a sense of belonging and accomplishment. It beats having nothing but a dreary job and frustrating life 24/7.

Edit: ok not editing it out since it is admittedly one hell of a Freudian slip.  :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on April 02, 2015, 12:09:14 PM
The most appalling part of this story is that there is apparently a demand for pizza at people's weddings...

We technically had pizza at ours.  The reception/party/whatever ran from 8:00pm to 6:00am (go big or go home when you're in Argentina) and we started out with steak & champagne.  Then around 1:00am the younger crowd starts swinging by and that is when you put the pizza and beer out.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on April 02, 2015, 12:15:52 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 02, 2015, 12:09:14 PM

We technically had pizza at ours.  The reception/party/whatever ran from 8:00pm to 6:00am (go big or go home when you're in Argentina) and we started out with steak & champagne.  Then around 1:00am the younger crowd starts swinging by and that is when you put the pizza and beer out.

Don't take any flak from Ice Cubes in My Wine.

derspiess

I would agree that if you're having pizza as *the* food at a wedding you're doing it wrong.

KRonn

Quote from: derspiess on April 02, 2015, 11:45:22 AM

The responses are just blown way out of proportion. As someone said, both sides need to chillax.

Admiral Yi

He would have been fine if he had just ditched the aviators.

Ed Anger

Mart keeps reminding me of Rodger from American Dad.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive