Suicide bomber kills at least 3 at US Embassy in Turkey

Started by jimmy olsen, February 01, 2013, 09:26:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Looks like the congressional fight over embassy security has just been reignited, though an attack like this is basically impossible to stop any better than is done here, seeing as the attacker didn't get past the first checkpoint.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/01/16804949-police-sources-suicide-bomber-kills-at-least-3-at-us-embassy-compound-in-turkey?lite

QuotePolice sources: Suicide bomber kills at least 3 at US Embassy compound in Turkey

By Richard Engel, Aziz Akyavas and Ian Johnston, NBC News

A suicide bomber blew himself up at an entrance to the U.S. Embassy compound in Ankara on Friday, killing at least three people, Turkish police sources said.

The bomber got to the first X-ray machine leading to the visa section, the sources added.

U.S. Ambassador Francis Ricciardione told reporters that a guard at the gate was killed and a Turkish citizen was wounded in the blast, which happened at 1:15 p.m. local time (6:15 a.m. ET), The Associated Press reported.

An AP journalist saw a body in the street outside, but it was unclear whether this was the guard or someone else.

Turkish television footage showed smoke rising from the area and the heavily damaged door, which led to a side street.

A call to the embassy's main number at about 2:10 p.m. local time (7:10 a.m. ET) was not answered.

Speaking at about the same time, State Department spokesman Harry Edwards said that he did not yet have any details on the explosion and could not immediately confirm any attack.

A message on the embassy's Twitter account at about 7:40 a.m. ET confirmed that an explosion had taken place.

"Appropriate measures were taken," it added, saying it would provide more information when it became available.

A BBC journalist near the scene, Golnar Motevalli, said police had barricaded the road and she could see three or four ambulances and a fire truck.

She said the situation was "extremely chaotic" and that police sirens were "going off everywhere."

The Associated Press noted groups tied to al-Qaida had attacked U.S. and U.K. consulates in the past:

Homegrown Islamic militants tied to al-Qaida have carried out suicide bombings in Istanbul, killing 58, in 2003. The targets were the British consulate, a British bank and two synagogues.

In 2008, an attack blamed on al-Qaida-affiliated militants outside the U.S. Consulate in Istanbul left three assailants and three policemen dead.

In the November 2003 attack on the British consulate , a suspected Islamic militant rammed an explosive-laden pickup truck into the main gate, killing British Consul-General, Roger Short, and his assistant, Lisa Hallworth.

The State Department says on its website that 15 people who claimed they were associated with al-Qaida were arrested in July 2011 for gathering explosive materials in preparation for an attack on the U.S. Embassy in Ankara.

It adds that this and other incidents "show a willingness on the part of some terrorist groups to attack identifiably Western targets. The possibility of terrorist attacks, from both transnational and indigenous groups, remains high."

The State Department posting said the PKK Kurdish rebel group was the "most active terrorist organization in Turkey." It said the PKK had historically targeted Turkish government and military interests, but had recently "threatened increased violent activity in Turkey's urban areas, and there is credible information suggesting that it intends to continue targeting tourist areas as well."

Earlier this month, about 400 U.S. personnel arrived at Turkey's Incirlik Air Base to support the deployment of a NATO Patriot missile battery to help defend the country from possible incursions by Syria's forces during that country's ongoing civil war.

NBC News' John Newland and Alastair Jamieson contributed to this report.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

sbr

They should stop including the suicide bomber when mentioning the number of casualties.   

EDIT:  AT least in headlines like this.  The suicide bomber killed 2; the third was implied,

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on February 01, 2013, 10:36:14 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 01, 2013, 09:56:31 AM
Well, McCain should be happy.

Why?

Can do more grandstanding.  Maybe we can have some hearing where Rand Paul can tell John Kerry that he would fire him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Valmy

Heh,  That sounds like something Hans would have said about Democrats and Iraq War casualties.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: sbr on February 01, 2013, 09:54:39 AM
They should stop including the suicide bomber when mentioning the number of casualties.   

EDIT:  AT least in headlines like this.  The suicide bomber killed 2; the third was implied,

Yes, that always annoys me.

Plus they miss out on the good news story:
"Suicide bomber fails to kill anyone"
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2013, 10:44:04 AM

Heh,  That sounds like something Hans would have said about Democrats and Iraq War casualties.

So do you think we'll have the regular suspects jumping at the chance to blame Obama administration or not?

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on February 01, 2013, 10:52:23 AM
So do you think we'll have the regular suspects jumping at the chance to blame Obama administration or not?

We'll see.  I doubt it, this sounds like a vastly different situation.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2013, 10:58:24 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 01, 2013, 10:52:23 AM

We'll see.  I doubt it, this sounds like a vastly different situation.

Okay, if a Republican congressmen or Senator blames the Obama administration for this, you owe me a Dr. Pepper.  If not, I'll buy you a soda.

Admiral Yi

Regular suspects usually denotes some sort of pattern of behavior.

Razgovory

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall