Sex only burns about 21 calories, according to new university study

Started by garbon, February 01, 2013, 09:14:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: DGuller on February 01, 2013, 12:51:14 PM
Wow, just 21 calories?  Why even bother?

Obviously as this info gets out, there will be a lot less sexual activity.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2013, 01:44:24 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 01, 2013, 12:15:08 PM
Something I often like to bring up is this "starvation mode" that a lot of diet experts talk about. Starvation mode is basically when you're starving, you enter a "low energy state" where your body uses less energy. Diet advisers always say you have to avoid this, because it lowers metabolism and makes it very hard to lose weight. I've always found that to be false, and a few years ago a study came out saying the same thing: that it takes 60 hours of fasting to truly enter "starvation mode." There is little evidence "extreme" diets like VLCDs (physician supervised diets where you eat 3-4 prescription meal-shakes each day, totaling usually under 800 calories) put your body into "starvation mode" and make you unable to lose weight, and the whole concept defies certain basic facts about physics and human biology. The truth is, 800 calories/day on a physician supervised VLCD is one of the most effective non-surgical methods for the morbidly obese to lose weight rapidly.

My wife is doing something like that.  It's technically not a VLCD because she is eating 900 calories per day, and she is eating food not shakes (altthough everything is carefully weighed), but it certainly is effective.

I have heard the claim being made that some cannot lose weight easily or at all by dieting, because of their "metabolism" or some such. That claim never made any sense to me. If you eat fewer calories than you burn, seems to me that weight loss is inevitable.

It may well be true of course (and probably is) that *psychologically* dieting is impossible for some people.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on February 01, 2013, 01:54:38 PM
I have heard the claim being made that some cannot lose weight easily or at all by dieting, because of their "metabolism" or some such. That claim never made any sense to me. If you eat fewer calories than you burn, seems to me that weight loss is inevitable.

It may well be true of course (and probably is) that *psychologically* dieting is impossible for some people.

When I work out I do not feel hungry so I eat less.  Why that is I have no idea and it makes no sense but that is the only reason I exercise while dieting.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Vegetarians burn more calories by eating than they gain from the food.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

AFAIK celery is the only food that burns more calories to eat than it provides. :nerd:

Ideologue

Quote from: The Brain on February 01, 2013, 02:02:05 PM
Vegetarians burn more calories by eating than they gain from the food.

I think I may be being a vegetarian wrong. :(

I sort of envy six minute sex act people--emphasis on sort of--but the occasional six min quickie would be a lot more convenient.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

I agree.  I think we as a society tend to discount the possibility that said people are foodaholics.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

fhdz

If you're having sex as a weight loss tactic, you're definitely doing it wrong.
and the horse you rode in on

derspiess

I can sort of go along with the theory that your metabolism can adjust itself downward to some extent if you start consistently eating less.  But maybe that's just because I like the idea of having a cheat day once a week to counteract that :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Legbiter

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 01, 2013, 12:17:32 PM
Most people dramatically overestimate the caloric burn of exercises in the first place, the human body is extremely energy efficient, that's why unless you're doing extreme high energy workouts diet is about 85% of the weight loss formula.

Yes, I'd second this. Great abs/300 pound deadlift, etc are made in the kitchen.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2013, 01:44:24 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 01, 2013, 12:15:08 PM
Something I often like to bring up is this "starvation mode" that a lot of diet experts talk about. Starvation mode is basically when you're starving, you enter a "low energy state" where your body uses less energy. Diet advisers always say you have to avoid this, because it lowers metabolism and makes it very hard to lose weight. I've always found that to be false, and a few years ago a study came out saying the same thing: that it takes 60 hours of fasting to truly enter "starvation mode." There is little evidence "extreme" diets like VLCDs (physician supervised diets where you eat 3-4 prescription meal-shakes each day, totaling usually under 800 calories) put your body into "starvation mode" and make you unable to lose weight, and the whole concept defies certain basic facts about physics and human biology. The truth is, 800 calories/day on a physician supervised VLCD is one of the most effective non-surgical methods for the morbidly obese to lose weight rapidly.

My wife is doing something like that.  It's technically not a VLCD because she is eating 900 calories per day, and she is eating food not shakes (altthough everything is carefully weighed), but it certainly is effective.

I dunno man.

Look, I've never significantly worried about my weight.  I avoid junk food, watch portion size, and I've never felt the need to formally diet.  I get the impression from you that you've had to diet once or twice, but that when you did the weight came off reasonably easily.

Not everybody is like that.  I do believe that "metabolism" plays a big part in a person's weight.

Obviously nobody can say that it is "impossible" for them to lose weight.  But it can be substantially harder in that they need to restrict their caloric intake to a much greater degree than other people would.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2013, 04:34:04 PM
I dunno man.

Look, I've never significantly worried about my weight.  I avoid junk food, watch portion size, and I've never felt the need to formally diet.  I get the impression from you that you've had to diet once or twice, but that when you did the weight came off reasonably easily.

Not everybody is like that.  I do believe that "metabolism" plays a big part in a person's weight.

Obviously nobody can say that it is "impossible" for them to lose weight.  But it can be substantially harder in that they need to restrict their caloric intake to a much greater degree than other people would.

I simply don't believe it.

Look, food is like fuel. You need to burn a certain amount of it to do X effort, assume X is the amount they do every day. Assuming two people are the same size and strength they will, in all likelihood, use much the same fuel to do X amount of effort. It is not the case that person A is substantially more efficient than person B, can do X effort for less.

That being the case, if you reduce fuel intake (that is, food) to persons A and B below the amount they need to burn to do X effort, while not reducing the amount of effort they do each day, both persons will need to burn the same amount; they can't get it from food, so they must get it from somewhere - and that somewhere is going to be the fat that they have stored. So they will lose weight.

I find it much, much easier to believe that some people are simply "misremembering" the amount they are restricting their caloric intake, than to believe in some suspension of the laws of physics that allows one person to do X amount of effort for substantially less "fuel" than another.

However, seems an easy thing to scientifically test. All you'd have to do is get one of these magic people and monitor them day and night for food intake. See if you calorie-restrict person A (who claims this 'difficulty') exactly the same as person B (who is the same size and strength, diets and loses weight no prob), have them do the same daily routine, and see if, indeed, person A can't lose weight.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: Malthus on February 01, 2013, 04:59:14 PM
I find it much, much easier to believe that some people are simply "misremembering" the amount they are restricting their caloric intake,

Exactamundo.  Dunno how many times I've seen some "dieting" gal at work pigging out on cake or having junk food for lunch.  Then she turns around and whines about how she hit a brick wall after she had initially lost 2 pounds.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

It's funny how bizarre metabolism issues always afflict people with no will to lose weight.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.