News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Why Credit Card Companies are so Mean

Started by Caliga, May 20, 2009, 09:03:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on May 20, 2009, 02:43:20 PM
3- Card issuers must deliver the bill at least 21 days before the due date.
What utter nonsense.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: ulmont on May 20, 2009, 04:47:18 PM
Quote from: DGuller on May 20, 2009, 04:35:39 PM
I fail to see the parallels with credit cards.

In both cases, the industry can make the most money by actively screwing the consumer.

The fact that both are intangible products may be what leads to this...
Ok, gotcha.  Well, the insurance industry is heavily regulated, and in cases where insurance is sold to individuals, it is assumed they are not sophisticated consumers.  Therefore regulations require policies to be written clearly (there is actually a way to measure that), and any possible ambiguity in the language is resolved in favor of the policy holder.  It doesn't work perfectly, of course, but at least there is an acknowledgement of the limitations of the lay people in making informed decisions.

DGuller

Quote from: Neil on May 20, 2009, 04:57:59 PM
What utter nonsense.
IMO that's one of the best parts.  For my first credit card, the company liked sending the bill just a week before it was due, to make it easy to accidentally be late on it.  At that point they would charge the late fee with no grace period at all.  It was obviously designed to facilitate the late payments.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on May 20, 2009, 03:05:29 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 20, 2009, 02:59:19 PM
I wouldnt mind my children having to obtain my signature before they get a credit card.  I am going to be the one paying if they cant after all.

Even when they are no longer children?

Why end it at 21?

Good point.  Parents are always potentially on the hook. :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on May 20, 2009, 05:05:30 PM
What utter nonsense.
IMO that's one of the best parts.  For my first credit card, the company liked sending the bill just a week before it was due, to make it easy to accidentally be late on it.  At that point they would charge the late fee with no grace period at all.  It was obviously designed to facilitate the late payments.

So you think that consumers should get at least 21 days of free credit?  Interest is only charged on late charges so all this does is increase the total cost of carrying a card which will be put on the backs of others.  Likely the merchants who pay the facility fees which will in turn increase the cost of all goods and services.

Just peachy.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 20, 2009, 05:10:48 PM
What utter nonsense.

So you think that consumers should get at least 21 days of free credit?  Interest is only charged on late charges so all this does is increase the total cost of carrying a card which will be put on the backs of others.  Likely the merchants who pay the facility fees which will in turn increase the cost of all goods and services.

Just peachy.
My card already sends the bill about 3 weeks early.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 20, 2009, 05:10:48 PM

Just peachy.
Compared to the alternative?  Yes.

crazy canuck

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 20, 2009, 05:14:02 PM
My card already sends the bill about 3 weeks early.
[/quote]

Then this is good evidence that this kind of regulation is not necessary.  DGuller and others are concerned about getting notices with relatively quick response requirments then they have another alternative in the market.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on May 20, 2009, 05:15:04 PM
Compared to the alternative?  Yes.

What alternative.  People are not organized enough to pay their bills as they come in.  I have little patience for that kind of excuse.  Especially since people can now easily check their balances and payment dates online and pay online.   If you are really concerned that you might miss a payment you can even prepay.

Remember its not your money.  You borrowed it the second you made that purchase.

katmai

Adding CC and berkut to kick in nuts list-check
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 20, 2009, 05:17:45 PM
Then this is good evidence that this kind of regulation is not necessary.  DGuller and others are concerned about getting notices with relatively quick response requirments then they have another alternative in the market.
Just because there are reputable alternatives doesn't mean that disreputable practices shouldn't be clamped down upon.  Another reason that the kinds of issuers that do such dirty tricks typically have consumers who don't have a lot of alternatives.  Typically it's the low end providers that engage in the most disreputable practices, regardless of the industry.

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 20, 2009, 05:14:02 PMMy card already sends the bill about 3 weeks early.

My card never sends a bill at all, because I pay the bill online and usually 3-4 times a month.  I don't know or care what my actual billing cycle is.  Internets = WIN.  Stop failing at the Internets, Amerikkka.  :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on May 20, 2009, 05:42:48 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 20, 2009, 05:14:02 PMMy card already sends the bill about 3 weeks early.

My card never sends a bill at all, because I pay the bill online and usually 3-4 times a month.  I don't know or care what my actual billing cycle is.  Internets = WIN.  Stop failing at the Internets, Amerikkka.  :(

I wish the Internet would crash and burn
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

What utter nonsense.
In that case, guarantee that a bill will be mailed by a certain date.  Let's remember:  People who don't make their payments are deadbeat scum, whether they got a bill or not.  Even a late payment is a sign of foolishness.  It's not like they don't know that they spent the money.  The creditor should not be responsible for the delivery of a bill, merely the sending of it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: Neil on May 20, 2009, 06:55:58 PM
In that case, guarantee that a bill will be mailed by a certain date.  Let's remember:  People who don't make their payments are deadbeat scum, whether they got a bill or not.  Even a late payment is a sign of foolishness.  It's not like they don't know that they spent the money.  The creditor should not be responsible for the delivery of a bill, merely the sending of it.
That's probably what the requirement that the bill be sent on the same day every month is for.