News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Jesse Ventura on torture

Started by viper37, May 20, 2009, 08:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

saskganesh

why are you watching The View?  ;)

good for Jesse. an honest politician.
humans were created in their own image

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

saskganesh

torture is torture; advanced interrogation is torture. we only torture muslims. we should hold ourselves to a higher standard. we created our own Hanoi Hilton in Gitmo. torture is unreliable. if I waterboarded Cheney for an hour I'd have him confessing to the Sharon Tate murders.
humans were created in their own image

Slargos

Ed Anger

Quote from: Berkut on May 20, 2009, 09:43:27 AM
Executive summary?

Elizabeth Hasselback needs to sit on my penis.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

Quote from: saskganesh on May 20, 2009, 09:47:42 AM
torture is torture;

O RLY?

Quoteadvanced interrogation is torture.

Is primitive interrogation torture?

we only torture muslims.

Only Muslims have been a problem lately. Kind of mixing up cause and effect here. Would he be ok with torture if we practiced affirmative torture action?
we should hold ourselves to a higher standard.

Absolutely. Of course, we do hold ourselves to a higher standard.
we created our own Hanoi Hilton in Gitmo.

Wow, that is a stunningly stupid thing to say. Everyone knows that Gitmo is a moden gulag, not the Hanoi hilton.
torture is unreliable.

I am sure it can be.
if I waterboarded Cheney for an hour I'd have him confessing to the Sharon Tate murders.

So?

Sigh, another fine example of trotting out all the stupid reasons to hold a position, while ignoring the good ones.

0 rows returned

viper37

Quote from: saskganesh on May 20, 2009, 09:38:04 AM
why are you watching The View?  ;)

good for Jesse. an honest politician.
It was on a lefitst blog I read daily.  I've no idea what's the show.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on May 20, 2009, 09:54:10 AM
Only Muslims have been a problem lately. Kind of mixing up cause and effect here. Would he be ok with torture if we practiced affirmative torture action?

his point is that McVeigh wasn't tortured to give information about his 'cell'.  Dangerous criminals are not tortured to obtain information about their gang.  He makes the point that if torture is really that efficient, than it should be applied to everyone who commits a crime to get a confession.  In a way, he's probably right, it would cost less to torture a mafia member than pay him a million dollar a year for the rest of his life in exchange for his testimony.

Berkut

Quote from: viper37 on May 20, 2009, 11:41:15 AM
Quote from: Berkut on May 20, 2009, 09:54:10 AM

his point is that McVeigh wasn't tortured to give information about his 'cell'. 

Probably because there wasn't one, and he was not a threat. I can assure you, however, that he was interrogated.

Dangerous criminals are not tortured to obtain information about their gang. 

Of course they are. We threaten to lock them up in nasty prison for decades unless they spill their guts.

I bet sometimes they even used advanced interrogation techniques, like good cop, bad cop. I am pretty sure that is against the Geneva Convention.
He makes the point that if torture is really that efficient, than it should be applied to everyone who commits a crime to get a confession.

What if it isn't that efficient? What if it isn't even torture? What if it sometimes works, and sometimes it doesn't? Just like every other process in everything we do?

In a way, he's probably right, it would cost less to torture a mafia member than pay him a million dollar a year for the rest of his life in exchange for his testimony.

See above. I don't think we pay mafia members a million dollars a year either.

0 rows returned

The Brain

Oh him? That's Crazy Old Man Berkut, son. They say that the day he stops advocating torture is the day he'll keel over for good. Keeps him alive, the rage does. Or so they say. Who knows? All I know is that he was always like this. Yessir.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Slargos

Sheilbh

He didn't use the phrase 'advanced interrogation techniques'.  He used the phrase 'enhanced interrogation techniques' which is how the Bush administration described and named torture.  I'm glad you noticed how preposterous that is, linguistically speaking.
Let's bomb Russia!

Siege

Is that guy really defending the enemies of the United States?

Does he knows what happens to our guys that get captured by the enemy?

I don't like torture, and I certainly don't trust the intell obtained under torture, but as long as they are doing it just on muslims, I got no problem with it.

Now, if they start torturing non-muslim american citizens, then I would have a problem with it.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

jimmy olsen

God, Siege, there's no way you should be a member of the US Armed Forces. :bleeding:

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point