News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you listen to broadcast radio?

Started by Brazen, January 11, 2013, 08:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

The radio is always on in our kitchen.

Radio 4 mostly plus radio 5 (sports and news) when the missus isn't around. 5 extra when the cricket is on.

Saturday evenings, radio 6 for Giles Peterson and then Craig Charles' superb Funk and Soul show.

derspiess

I mainly listen to AM stations in the car, usually sports shows.  Switch between Dan Patrick and Mike & Mike in the morning, and varied sports programs during the evening.

I have a little one-speaker Tivoli radio I keep on our kitchen table & have started using that to play music at dinner.  Kids seem to like it, but it's a constant struggle to keep them from changing the station-- they're going to ruin the analog tuning dial one of these days.

At work I listen to Pandora or stream from my Google Music collection.  At home if we want to listen to music I fire up the Xbox and use that streaming service.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: Gups on January 11, 2013, 11:38:53 AM
The radio is always on in our kitchen.

Radio 4 mostly plus radio 5 (sports and news) when the missus isn't around. 5 extra when the cricket is on.

Saturday evenings, radio 6 for Giles Peterson and then Craig Charles' superb Funk and Soul show.
Does cricket work over the radio?  I just can't imagine listening to any sports over the radio.  TV is the way of the future.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on January 11, 2013, 12:01:37 PM
Does cricket work over the radio?  I just can't imagine listening to any sports over the radio.  TV is the way of the future.

Dunno about cricket, but I regularly listen to baseball, basketball, football, and sometimes hockey over the radio when I'm in the car.  Good for exercising the imagination, since you automatically picture in your head what is going on.

At home I stream audio for Cardinals games (I'm too cheap to subscribe to mlb.tv) and WVU football/basketball games that aren't being aired on TV.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Gups

Test match special is an institution in the UK - even people that don't like cricket listen to it. Because there's not that much action in cricket, there's lots of analysis of tactics, anecdotes and general banter. The commentators are excellent although a little eccentric - some of the greats have dies but the ones left are still very good. Even when I'm watching on the telly, I'll turn the sound down and have the radio commentary on.  Even if I'm at a match I sometimes put the headphones on as do many others.

Forget Shakespeare, teh Royal OPera House or even Monty Python. Test match special is the absolute pinnacle of English civilisation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test_Match_Special

mongers

Quote from: Gups on January 11, 2013, 12:42:41 PM

Test match special is an institution in the UK - even people that don't like cricket listen to it. Because there's not that much action in cricket, there's lots of analysis of tactics, anecdotes and general banter. The commentators are excellent although a little eccentric - some of the greats have dies but the ones left are still very good. Even when I'm watching on the telly, I'll turn the sound down and have the radio commentary on.  Even if I'm at a match I sometimes put the headphones on as do many others.

Forget Shakespeare, teh Royal OPera House or even Monty Python. Test match special is the absolute pinnacle of English civilisation.

This.

It's the true test for an Englishmen, though Gup's enthusiasm puts me somewhat in to shame.   :Embarrass:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Neil

You know, that makes sense.  When I was in London in the summer of '08,  England was playing a test match against South Africa and one of my tour guides was going on about how he was looking forward to the cricket on the radio.  He made sure to take us by a stadium called Lord's, where the cricket was going to be played.  I watched it on the TV and some South African seemed to play really well., and got around 170 points, which seemed like a lot.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

I met a number of Oxbridge grads at Harvard, and the impression I got from all of them is that the foundation of the quality English education is the ability to speak fluently, convincingly, and entertainingly about any subject at any time, particularly those you have no direct knowledge of.  Related a little, in my mind at least, to the French love of the sound of their language.

So I can definitely see where you're coming from.

Syt

I imagine it to be something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znmjnEMqHeg
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Almost exclusively podcasts, of which there appears to be a backlog of about 20gig of them on my computer.  :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"