News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

THQ files for bankruptcy

Started by Syt, December 19, 2012, 11:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Shame, really. If they were to go completely under, what other publisher would release games like Saints Row 3, Metro 2033 or Darksiders?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/19/thq-filing-for-bankruptcy-selling-off-assets/

QuoteOh boy. Remember how things haven't been going so hot for THQ lately? If you've somehow forgotten, do you remember your name or any key facts about yourself? Have you hit your head or recently traveled forward to this time period? Are you an amnesiac, infant, or ghost? AT ANY RATE, we've finally reached the expected conclusion of this rather depressing series of events, but – as ever – there's a twist. In spite of how the word "bankrupt" – which is derived from the root "bank account ruptured and screamed in agony as warm monetary lifeblood erupted from its depleted tubules" – often connotates, THQ isn't doomed yet. Instead, it's merely employed some tricksy business maneuvers to dodge an avalanche of debt. For now, though, your favorite game series are safe.

In short, the Chapter 11 bankruptcy's only one element of a larger deal with a "stalking horse bidder" called Clearlake Capital Group. In addition to making me desperately curious about the people who come up with the names for business terms, this means that THQ essentially tried to drive up the price on initial bids for, er, itself. When no other competitors surfaced, however, Clearlake won by default, purchasing the beleaguered publisher for $60 million.

What does this mean for the likes of Metro: Last Light, Company of Heroes 2, Saints Row 4, Homefront 2, and South Park, though? Well, for the time being, pretty much nothing.

Quote"THQ will continue operating its business without interruption during the sale period, subject to Court approval of THQ's first-day motions. All of the company's studios remain open, and all development teams continue. The company remains confident in its existing pipeline of games. THQ maintains relationships with some of the top independent development studios around the globe. As part of the sale, the company is seeking approval to assume the contracts of these studios, and Clearlake will assume these contracts."

"Consumers and retailers should see no changes while the company completes a sale. The new financing will support business operations throughout the period. THQ does not intend to reduce its workforce as a result of the filing, and employees will continue to work their usual schedules and receive normal compensation and benefits, pending customary Court approval."

In other words, THQ's not going anywhere just yet. Instead, it's buying some more time by being bought – in hopes that its formidable force of heavy hitters will eventually swoop in and save the day. Meanwhile, the official filings for all of this business revealed titles for four unannounced games: Vigil's "Crawler," Turtle Rock's (they of the original Left 4 Dead) "Evolve," Relic's "Atlas," and Assassin's Creed creator Patrice Desilets' "1666." Evidently, then, THQ's hardly treating this like a dead end.

And certainly, other companies have navigated the choppy waters of bankruptcy before and returned stronger than ever. But others, well, haven't (hiya, Midway Games), so THQ's still treading on thin ice. As always, fingers crossed. It's tough to say whether or not the publisher's still circling the drain, but regardless, it's got quite a bit of climbing to do before it's free and clear.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

That is a shame.  I do hope that Company of Heroes 2 is published.  I've seen a lot of big names in the industry go down.  Hopefully this won't be another one.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

CoH2 will likely get published.  The other games will probably be sold to some other developper/publisher, more lay-offs are to be expected and we will see a 'new' THQ as a small, lean machine with only one or two products.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Like Interplay?  Interplay became so lean I'm unsure if it's alive or dead.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on December 20, 2012, 01:56:39 PM
Yep.  Something like that.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on December 20, 2012, 03:37:40 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 20, 2012, 01:56:39 PM
Yep.  Something like that.

Yeah, that's depressing.   I'm always disappointed when a major game company goes under, and I've seen quite a few.  Interplay (which I checked now has 8 employees), Sierra, Westwood, SSI...  I guess there is a lot of turnover in that industry.

Scipio

THQ is a sure fire fuck up factory.  They have great IP and developers, and they are just clueless.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

viper37

DontSayBanana

WWE games becoming a 2K studios sports game. :bleeding:

I don't even like wrestling, and I feel sorry for them.  Ubisoft's purchase sounds like they're engaging in some reunification and hedging some of their bets.  SEGA taking on Relic made me squee. :blush:
Experience bij!

Crazy_Ivan80

Apparently Koch Media is also the publisher of the X-series... so I wonder if there's a new chance for Freespace 3 (Volition), even if it is remotely small.
They'd probably fuck it up though...

Syt

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 24, 2013, 07:22:27 PM
WWE games becoming a 2K studios sports game. :bleeding:

Could be good, could be bad. I mean, their basketball game is supposedly incredible, while their baseball franchise is mediocre.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.