News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mechwarrior Online

Started by Ed Anger, November 01, 2011, 04:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Drakken on November 02, 2011, 02:58:01 PM
First a faithful Shadowrun Online in the works, now this?

This is gonna be a kick-ass 2012.

Don't count your chickens until they ship.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on November 02, 2011, 03:24:40 PM
Quote from: Drakken on November 02, 2011, 02:58:01 PM
First a faithful Shadowrun Online in the works, now this?

This is gonna be a kick-ass 2012.

Don't count your chickens until they ship.

I haven't played a Shadowrun game since the SNES.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Drakken

I'm still playing the Genesis version from my emulator from time to time. Closest to the RPG, but repetitive and unforgiving as hell.

SNES version has kick-ass 16-bit soundtrack, though.

DontSayBanana

Of course, for those of a boardgamer bent, this is already out there: http://megamek.info/

:D
Experience bij!

Habbaku

Keeping in line with the 1 day RL = 1 day in-game theme, the website is keeping a "blog" of Inner Sphere News reporting on very important issues!

QuoteThur. Nov 3, 3048: To showcase continued League unity, the FWLM announced an anniversary-review of dress uniforms adopted in 3047.

QuoteFri. Nov 4, 3048: Despite continued denials, investigative reporter Jan Kar says she has proof the MAC are using Star League-era Spectors.

:lol:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

The Mechwarrior online open beta starts on Monday, which as of typing is 45 minutes from now.  Well at least in the Central time zone.  I don't know about all you folks living in other time zones or other dimensions and such.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on October 28, 2012, 11:16:39 PM
The Mechwarrior online open beta starts on Monday, which as of typing is 45 minutes from now.  Well at least in the Central time zone.  I don't know about all you folks living in other time zones or other dimensions and such.

Except the Open Beta starts at 1pm PDT.

I didn't want to shell out money for this, but now that it's an open beta I'm going to give it a try.

Syt

Isn't it F2P, anyways? Kind of like World of Tanks with Mechs?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on October 29, 2012, 10:23:23 AM
Isn't it F2P, anyways? Kind of like World of Tanks with Mechs?

Yes.

But to get into the earlier, closed beta you needed to buy some special "founder" package.

ow it is truely free to play (though like all other F2P games, there are plenty of things to spend real-life money on).

FunkMonk

I somehow magically got into the closed beta a month ago without paying for the founders package or whatever crap they call it. I played it for a few days before I got tired of it. It was ok but it was still bare on features. I may come back to this in a few months.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Barrister

I'm an old-school BattleTech player, but back when the MechWarrior computer games were going, I really didn't have a computer powerful enough to play them.

So anyways... this is really cool. :nerd:

Razgovory

I have to wait till the game downloads 38 different patches. <_<

Barrister

I don't know if I'm going to have the patience for this.  F2P means its really grinderiffic.  At least to start you can use the trial mechs, which you do not have to repair, and do not have to load with ammo.  But it looks like it'll take me a few dozen matches before having enough credits to buy my own mech.

But it is fun.   :)

Razgovory

I played one match.  I got a kill despite not knowing what I was doing.

Drakken

Reporting in after a few (read three) evenings of play.

It's not WoT, no paying for top tiers bullshit (that might change in the future when "beta" is over, though). Even with trial mechs I have gathered enough money to buy at least a default Hunchback/Centurion with some cash for improved modules after a few pew-pew, thanks to Cadet Credits Bonus. Only "hero" mechs and extras (like camo) can be bought with money points only, and even these can be beatable with normal mech sets used by skilled opponents.

The only "complaints" I see so far are lack of content, somewhat unstable, and overpowered ECM, all of which PGI acknowledged.

It's still a game that has a steep learning curve, however. It's definitely based on player and twitch skill, but it's the closest to the simulation I used to love when playing the original MechWarrior on SNES. Prepared to get hammered for weeks on end, though, unless you find a good team.